Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Scam? - Potential Customers please read

Options
  • 04-10-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Bit of a long story but worth reading if you are considering signing up to Eircom.

A few weeks back I decided to change from mobile broadband to a fixed line so I contacted Eircom to see what my options were. A sales rep asked for my address, tested the line and informed me that it could take 7mb. Then he told me that my line was eligible for a promotion offer of phone & 3mb Broadband for circa 26euro for the first 6 months and then around 51euro for the remaining 6 months. I had no intention of getting a phone but as this was a very good offer I said I'd think about.

So that evening I did some research and listed questions I wanted answering before I agreed to sign up.

The next day I rang Eircom and spoke to a different sales rep and she was aware of the offer. She told me that the reconnection fee of 107euro would be waived and the broadband connection fee of 29euro would be credited to me on my first bill. She again confirmed the offer stating the monthly charges as outlined above. Thinking that this was very good value I agreed to sign up.

A week or so passed, I received my account number so I rang up to see what was the status of my order. To my surprise I was informed there was a fault on my line and an engineer would have to call out to me. I found this strange as the first sales rep had tested the line and was able to give me a reading. So the engineer called out and tested my line and found no fault. The engineer even told me he didn't know why he had been called out to check it. He explained he would now connect me to the exchange and to
    expect the broadband modem/router in the post.

So last Friday (Sept 30th) I contacted Eircom again just to see when I could expect the modem/router. To my shock I was informed that I had not signed up to any broadband & phone package and had been signed up to a phone only. The rep also said that I was not eligible for the offer that was explained to me by 2 sales reps and as a result I signed up for. So after two 30 minute phone calls explaining what had happened and being put on hold only to be hung up on I've resorted to posting here to warn any future customers of these antics.

I would be grateful if one of the Eircom on-line reps could please explain the following to me:

Am I a victim of a scam were your company misleads customers inticing them into agreeing one package when you sign them up for a different one?

Why cannot I avail of the offer, explained to me by 2 sales reps, that I agreed to?

How did I end up signing up for a phone package when I agreed to a phone and broadband package?

Why was an engineer called out to check a fault that did not exist?

Thank you,

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

jpjc05 wrote: »
    Bit of a long story but worth reading if you are considering signing up to Eircom.

A few weeks back I decided to change from mobile broadband to a fixed line so I contacted Eircom to see what my options were. A sales rep asked for my address, tested the line and informed me that it could take 7mb. Then he told me that my line was eligible for a promotion offer of phone & 3mb Broadband for circa 26euro for the first 6 months and then around 51euro for the remaining 6 months. I had no intention of getting a phone but as this was a very good offer I said I'd think about.

So that evening I did some research and listed questions I wanted answering before I agreed to sign up.

The next day I rang Eircom and spoke to a different sales rep and she was aware of the offer. She told me that the reconnection fee of 107euro would be waived and the broadband connection fee of 29euro would be credited to me on my first bill. She again confirmed the offer stating the monthly charges as outlined above. Thinking that this was very good value I agreed to sign up.

A week or so passed, I received my account number so I rang up to see what was the status of my order. To my surprise I was informed there was a fault on my line and an engineer would have to call out to me. I found this strange as the first sales rep had tested the line and was able to give me a reading. So the engineer called out and tested my line and found no fault. The engineer even told me he didn't know why he had been called out to check it. He explained he would now connect me to the exchange and to

So last Friday (Sept 30th) I contacted Eircom again just to see when I could expect the modem/router. To my shock I was informed that I had not signed up to any broadband & phone package and had been signed up to a phone only. The rep also said that I was not eligible for the offer that was explained to me by 2 sales reps and as a result I signed up for. So after two 30 minute phone calls explaining what had happened and being put on hold only to be hung up on I've resorted to posting here to warn any future customers of these antics.

I would be grateful if one of the Eircom on-line reps could please explain the following to me:

Am I a victim of a scam were your company misleads customers inticing them into agreeing one package when you sign them up for a different one?

Why cannot I avail of the offer, explained to me by 2 sales reps, that I agreed to?

How did I end up signing up for a phone package when I agreed to a phone and broadband package?

Thank you,

J

if you have an idea of the call times request a copy of the calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Thank you,

J
    Hi jpjc05
    Definitely some confusion here.If you PM me your tel number I can investigate and advise you on this.
    If a package was described by both reps I would imagine it was legit. There is absolutley no question of scams or deliberately mis-leading a customer, indeed all information on all our packages are outlined on our online sites and can be varified there.. online link here
    My apologies that you should have received conflicting info but I will get back to you on all points.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

As JimsAlterEgo said, Request a copy of the recorded calls when you signed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Thank you,

J

I was given the same offer over the phone. (8 meg next gen & offpeak calls)
    26.79 euro for the first 6 months and 51.78 euro per month thereafter.
    And the connection fee of 29.99 is credited back to your bill.
    Would you mind confirming Tony that this is a valid ?

...Just when I look at the pricing mentioned on the eircom website for what I ordered (eircom Next Generation Broadband Regular &
    eircom talktime chatter) It states 44.98 eur per month for the first 6 months.. I'm thinking on top of the 44.98 special, there is another special whereby the line rental is free for the first 6 months?

Tiesto wrote: »

...Just when I look at the pricing mentioned on the eircom website for what I ordered (eircom Next Generation Broadband Regular &
    eircom talktime chatter) It states 44.98 eur per month for the first 6 months.. I'm thinking on top of the 44.98 special, there is another special whereby the line rental is free for the first 6 months?
    Hi Tiesto
    Yes there certainly was a package that offered a 6 month free trial line rental option, this would indeed leave the package at approx €26. I am seeking confirmation on this now...
    Tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jpjc05

Hi jpjc05
    Definitely some confusion here.If you PM me your tel number I can investigate and advise you on this.
    If a package was described by both reps I would imagine it was legit. There is absolutley no question of scams or deliberately mis-leading a customer, indeed all information on all our packages are outlined on our online sites and can be varified there.. online link here
    My apologies that you should have received conflicting info but I will get back to you on all points.
    Tony

PM sent

Thanks for all the replies.

I've sent Tony a PM and will give him the opportunity to get to the bottom of this mess.

Tiesto wrote: »

Cheers for the details Tiesto, that is the promotion I was offered and believed I had signed up to.

Thanks for all the replies.

I've sent Tony a PM and will give him the opportunity to get to the bottom of this mess.

Cheers for the details Tiesto, that is the promotion I was offered and believed I had signed up to.

Hi jpjc05
    to clarify this offer.
    This promotion will be offered to consumer residential premises where there is an inactive line in place, and it has been inactive prior to 31st May2011.
    Trial Line Promotion
    1. The retail offer will be € 20 off line rental per month x 6 months for customers who avail of Broadband, and € 10 per month off line rental x 6 months for customers who avail of voice only.

This promotion is only open to Residential customers whose premises have an In Situ or Pre-cabled line which has been in active prior to the 31st May 2011 and where the line can be electronically enabled.

As your own line is new and had to be installed ( which was installed free) the 6+ month free trial line offer cannot apply.
    I apologies for any confusion and that this was not made clearer.
    If you have any further query re this issue please let me know.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 6 toffeepop

I signed up to an introductory offer supposedly at €22 per month for 8Mb broadband & off peak calls.

I signed up on the guys PDA so got no receipt and since then I've been charged 40 odd euro per month. I logged a complaint with eircom and have had no reply apart from the usual (will get back to you in 2 business days). that was weeks ago.

All I want is a contract record & confirmation of monthly charges that apply.

A guy in work was asking me about it earlier and i'm about to tell him it's a scam/ they're a sham unless Mr eircom dude online here can clarify

Hi jpjc05
    to clarify this offer.
    This promotion will be offered to consumer residential premises where there is an inactive line in place, and it has been inactive prior to 31st May2011.
    Trial Line Promotion
    1. The retail offer will be € 20 off line rental per month x 6 months for customers who avail of Broadband, and € 10 per month off line rental x 6 months for customers who avail of voice only.

This promotion is only open to Residential customers whose premises have an In Situ or Pre-cabled line which has been in active prior to the 31st May 2011 and where the line can be electronically enabled.

As your own line is new and had to be installed ( which was installed free) the 6+ month free trial line offer cannot apply.
    I apologies for any confusion and that this was not made clearer.
    If you have any further query re this issue please let me know.
    Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply, however I am still confused.

The line is in a new build residential property which was pre-cabled by the
    builder.

The line must have been electronically enabled for the sales rep
    to test it, the engineer certainly didnt do anything as it was active when
    he got here.

The line has also been inactive prior to the 31st May 2011.

Not at any stage during my initial contact for information or the following day
    when I signed up to Eircom did the 2 sales rep say that I was ineligible for the offer.

Can you please clarify why I am still being excluded from this promotion that was offered
    to me by Eircom and which I had agreed to?

thanks,

jpjc05

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Give Tony a day or two to get the recording of the salesman and you.

If you were offered that deal it will be obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭millivanilli

I have had massive problems with Eircom lately after being a loyal customer for years, am seriously considering switching to Vodafone or another provider. I don't want to bore anyone with the details, but I basically moved house and wanted to get home phone and broadband set up. Got sent out the modem but it never worked, turned out an engineer needed to call to the house to put in a new line. This itself is fine, but it took me 2 weeks to try and resolve the problem. Every time I rang their broadband support line I ended up getting cut off or put through to the wrong department. I got a bill for connecting the phone line on 15th Sept that was due on the 29th. I didn't pay it as the phone line wasn't working and now it looks like they have cut off my phone line. I find it all so ludicrous as they expected me to pay a bill for a service that wasn't working. The problem has only been resolved since last Friday, the 30th, so I feel I should have had the usual 14 days from Friday to pay the bill. Eircom seriously need t sort their customer service out. If they expect me to pay a reconnection fee I will definitely switch providers. Has anyone any advice or recommendations for other providers?

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply, however I am still confused.

The line is in a new build residential property which was pre-cabled by the
    builder.

The line must have been electronically enabled for the sales rep
    to test it, the engineer certainly didnt do anything as it was active when
    he got here.

The line has also been inactive prior to the 31st May 2011.

Not at any stage during my initial contact for information or the following day
    when I signed up to Eircom did the 2 sales rep say that I was ineligible for the offer.

Can you please clarify why I am still being excluded from this promotion that was offered
    to me by Eircom and which I had agreed to?

thanks,

jpjc05

Hi jpjc05
    my initial response that this was not actually an In Situ or Pre-cabled line is the only reason you would have been excluded from the promotion. Our records show that a tech did have to activate a new line and an electronic enablement was not possible. The fact that the premises were pre cabled by the builder does not mean that this was connected to the eircom network. The engineer may not have had to do any work on your premises but may have had to offer connection to local cabinet.
    I will have this action investigated again and will get back to you.
    Tony

I have had massive problems with Eircom lately after being a loyal customer for years, am seriously considering switching to Vodafone or another provider. I don't want to bore anyone with the details, but I basically moved house and wanted to get home phone and broadband set up. Got sent out the modem but it never worked, turned out an engineer needed to call to the house to put in a new line. This itself is fine, but it took me 2 weeks to try and resolve the problem. Every time I rang their broadband support line I ended up getting cut off or put through to the wrong department. I got a bill for connecting the phone line on 15th Sept that was due on the 29th. I didn't pay it as the phone line wasn't working and now it looks like they have cut off my phone line. I find it all so ludicrous as they expected me to pay a bill for a service that wasn't working. The problem has only been resolved since last Friday, the 30th, so I feel I should have had the usual 14 days from Friday to pay the bill. Eircom seriously need t sort their customer service out. If they expect me to pay a reconnection fee I will definitely switch providers. Has anyone any advice or recommendations for other providers?

Hi millivanilli
    Though it can take 2 weeks to have a new line and broadband installed but my apologies that you were not able to get the other issues resolved or explained. If you would PM me your tel no. i can have this investigated and should be able to clarify the problems here and may be able to help with the billing issues.
    Tony

toffeepop wrote: »
    I signed up to an introductory offer supposedly at €22 per month for 8Mb broadband & off peak calls.

I signed up on the guys PDA so got no receipt and since then I've been charged 40 odd euro per month. I logged a complaint with eircom and have had no reply apart from the usual (will get back to you in 2 business days). that was weeks ago.

All I want is a contract record & confirmation of monthly charges that apply.

A guy in work was asking me about it earlier and i'm about to tell him it's a scam/ they're a sham unless Mr eircom dude online here can clarify

Hi toffeepop
    I can definitely clarify this for you. Can you PM me your tel. number and the package you agreed to and I will investigate this.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gregoryk

Hi,

Here's another one for people who are contemplating joining Eircom:

We've been using an 8M internet because our line is not capable of faster speeds. This has been confirmed over and over again during the past year and we were happy with it cuz for us 8M is fast enough as long as it's working.

Then out of the blue Eircom without our authorization or knowledge(!) switched it to 24M. We only became aware of the change when the service became intermittent and I called one of the 1901 guys and they told me that yes, it's been set to 24M and that I shouldn't worry because it's the same price.

This was the first lie, of course, it wasn't the same price - as it turned out later.

Anyway, so we kindly requested them to set it back to 8M because it will only work at speeds not higher than 8M but here's the best part, (typical Eircom):

they told us that they'll only set it back to 8 from 24 if we pay a 25 euro fee or start another 12 month contract!

Again, remember that we didn't ask them to set it to 24M since we knew that it wouldn't work at that speed, yet they were ready to charge us money or to scam us into another year contract!

So be prepared, for Eircom a 12 month contract is for life.

Good luck!

Greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi gregoryk,

Thanks for your post.

Can you PM your eircom Broadband /Phone, or Account, number so I can investigate your query.

Kind regards,
    Ant

gregoryk wrote: »
    Hi,

Here's another one for people who are contemplating joining Eircom:

We've been using an 8M internet because our line is not capable of faster speeds. This has been confirmed over and over again during the past year and we were happy with it cuz for us 8M is fast enough as long as it's working.

Then out of the blue Eircom without our authorization or knowledge(!) switched it to 24M. We only became aware of the change when the service became intermittent and I called one of the 1901 guys and they told me that yes, it's been set to 24M and that I shouldn't worry because it's the same price.

This was the first lie, of course, it wasn't the same price - as it turned out later.

Anyway, so we kindly requested them to set it back to 8M because it will only work at speeds not higher than 8M but here's the best part, (typical Eircom):

they told us that they'll only set it back to 8 from 24 if we pay a 25 euro fee or start another 12 month contract!

Again, remember that we didn't ask them to set it to 24M since we knew that it wouldn't work at that speed, yet they were ready to charge us money or to scam us into another year contract!

So be prepared, for Eircom a 12 month contract is for life.

Good luck!

Greg

Advertisement