Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling lights stopped working

Options
  • 04-10-2011 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Have three rooms in which none of the lights are working. Nothing occured yesterday to cause this (although something must have !), and the rest of the ceiling lights upstairs are all working. I checked the cabling at the first faulty light and all seems fine. Any ideas ? Circuit is about 8 years old, domestic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

It's most likely a loose neutral or a loose loop feed at the switch. You should check the switches that are working and see if any cables loose goin to the next light...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Make sure circuit breaker is not half tripped
    Pull circuit breakers down fully and push firmly up again
    possibly blown bulb would cause trip to activate
    also loose connection in switch or light fitting would cause problem as diggerdunne said

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

Thanks for all the help, the loop circuit was broken in the attic. All resolved.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

emul wrote: »
    the loop circuit was broken in the attic.

As a matter of interest, do you know how is was broken? From walking in the attic or just bad contacts? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

The "safe" storage of Christmas presents ! Heavy box pulled at loop and disconnected. Not impressed with wiring. Have checked all other points and all seem ok.

Thanks

Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Just a bit of a follow on, bulb was gone in one of the ceiling lights in the upstairs Bathroom, as I changed the bulb the connection came down from the ceiling also some insulation, so I went up to the attic to have a look.
    The job looked a bit rough and the insulation was just pulled away from the wiring.
    I seen something on a DIY prog about a fire prof covering or something, can the insulation catch fire?
    Any advice welcome.

No1J wrote: »
    Just a bit of a follow on, bulb was gone in one of the ceiling lights in the upstairs Bathroom, as I changed the bulb the connection came down from the ceiling also some insulation, so I went up to the attic to have a look.
    The job looked a bit rough and the insulation was just pulled away from the wiring.
    I seen something on a DIY prog about a fire prof covering or something, can the insulation catch fire?
    Any advice welcome.

the insulation itself should not be flammable
    the problem may be if something is placed on top of them in the attic
    you can get fire covers though
    http://www.cnofire.com/products/lighting-protection/intumescent-downlight-cover/
    but these sometimes restrict the air flow and shorten the lifetime of the bulb
    try led bulbs
    http://naturaltechnology.net/led_gu10/
    longer life lower wattage and they dont heat near as much

The lights are all on transformers, are you saying that there should be no insulation covering the transformers,wiring or the bulb area at all even if the insulation is inflammable so that the wiring and bulbs don't over heat reducing life of all.
    This is the way it is at the moment, about 250mm insulation (mixture of old and new) with roughly 8" hole square cut outs for each light, just looks bad/excessive but some loose bits of insulation had fallen on top of the lights due to moving decorations on partly floored area.
    Another stupid question, to check if the insulation is inflammable do I take a bit of the old and the new to the garden, light a match/cigarette and see if they burn?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055587539
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56921148
    some useful threads

to answer your question about the insulation
    it should not be flamable but if you want re assurance take a small amount outside and test it

Thanks a lot for all the info, call me lazy but going back 3/4 pages didn't see anything.
    Will do a test on the insulation, and the pots sound like a good idea.
    Hopefully last stupid question, to change to led lights do I just chande the bulb fitting as mine are the prong type not the ones with the thicker ends.
    Do they still need the transfomers etc.

• Advertisement

No1J wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for all the info, call me lazy but going back 3/4 pages didn't see anything.
    Will do a test on the insulation, and the pots sound like a good idea.
    Hopefully last stupid question, to change to led lights do I just chande the bulb fitting as mine are the prong type not the ones with the thicker ends.
    Do they still need the transfomers etc.

If it were me I would remove the trafo and replace with gu10 holders

Then there will be less to go wrong
    Just check that the led gu10 bulb fits into your fitting before you do too much

Advertisement