Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drunks around City Square/Tourist Area

• 04-10-2011 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

Second time now seeing a gang (5 to 6) drunks on Street by Friary and near that entrance to City Square. This area is where all out tourists are encouraged to spend their time (Viking triangle, shops, restaurants etc), these louts should be moved on out of the way, under some bridge or something like they do in all other countries. If a tourist, local doesnt feel safe, they wont come back to shop, eat out, walk around that area. They were asking people for change, shouting and generally being intimidating to people.

It disgusts me, the gardai must know at this stage that they like to hang out there, what can be done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Ah yes, I saw them too. That guy is usually outside Subway screaming at people. We call him "my town" because he used to roar that its his town and ask people "who's town is it?". He's homeless I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

If we put them under a bridge they will drown.
    Most people seem to ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Buy em a drink n they'll shurrup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Report them to the cops, repeatedly if needs be.

Drunk and disorderly, also begging aggressively is illegal now isn't it?

If the cops don't respond try hassling local councillors.

Just letting them be there means they'll just get worse. No point waiting until they attack someone for cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

I walked past them one day on the way up from the quay to city square. Two of them started calling me first and when i looked back I saw them following me. One of them said could I give him 30 cent. I told him I didn't have anything and then he said I'll take whatever you have in change!!

I told him to fcuk off that I had nothing and I just walked away from them. :mad:
    Even still I can see how harassed and frightened tourists would be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

When i was in dublin about a yr ago, i was waiting for the luas in Jervis and a skanger type guy was bumming around with the usual, "d'ye have a fag", "d'ye av spare change". Some people ignored him, others said no. But one fella, the last person i thought would do it, very well turned out with a suit (business man i presume), actually spat on the guy. I know they are a pain, the skangers, but what arrogance that business man had to actually spit on another person.
    I hope waterford doesn't get to that state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Ah yes, I saw them too. That guy is usually outside Subway screaming at people. We call him "my town" because he used to roar that its his town and ask people "who's town is it?". He's homeless I think
    Yeah "My Town", a nasty piece of work, some of the stuff he says is vile. It wouldn't bother me personally but when women and kids are walking by and he's saying real filthy, sexually related rubbish then it's not good. The Gardai can see these wasters in real time on their CCTV. They choose not to do anything, unless they get a phone call about it, in which case they might move them on.

The drunken louts have been hanging around the city centre for as long as I can remember and the issue is constantly raised by councillors and others. I've read many articles in the local press over the last decade about this problem. The simple solution would be just damage limitation, i.e. Gardai constantly move the drunks outside of the main shopping/tourist area. Let them know they can drink in some designated areas but never in the city centre.

The Gardai don't care about this problem. It's not a resource issue either. I was out at the Bluegrass Festival and they had 3 undercover twats going around the village stopping & searching young people like me in the hopes they'd catch them with some drugs. Another night I was waiting for a lift on my own at the Railway Square bus shelter after night clubs closed and 2 undercover again searched me for no reason. This was 100 yards away from the 4 corners of death where many drunk, violent goons were hanging around.

Ask them to do something about serious crime like abusive winos, the travellers, homes being broken into... they won't do a fcuking thing.

Let them know they can drink in some designated areas but never in the city centre.

Is it not illigal to drink in a public place, if not i think it certainly is a crime to be intoxicated in a public place. As such these chav scum should be up in front of a judge and sent to jail for a while. At least it would give waterford a few weeks of a reprive from them puking and pissing around the streets.

Plus moving them on is noo good really, they just end up being a pain in the ass somewhere else, unless they just go into the middle of a field somewhere.

Is it not illigal to drink in a public place
    I think it is illegal but the Gardai mostly use their discretion.
    Plus moving them on is noo good really, they just end up being a pain in the ass somewhere else, unless they just go into the middle of a field somewhere.
    These abusive drunks are part of a bigger social problem that need longer term solutions, and what I suggested is only a short term solution, but it is better to have them drinking somewhere else as long as it it's outside the city centre. The North Quays for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

seanybiker wrote: »
    If we put them under a bridge they will drown.
    QUOTE]

Ok you win lets go with that so...:)

• Advertisement

I think it is illegal but the Gardai mostly use their discretion.

These abusive drunks are part of a bigger social problem that need longer term solutions, and what I suggested is only a short term solution, but it is better to have them drinking somewhere else as long as it it's outside the city centre. The North Quays for example.

Yeah north quay, perhaps they will jump in for a swim - problem sovled!!
    If only we could do the same with the travellers, the druggies and the chavs, it'd be a grand little city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Sure aren't they part of the Ireland experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The archway from the main road up to the tax office the amount of times I've had to step over human **** is sickening. A few years back one morning my mum was walking down by the ulterbank and one of them was getting a blow job right in the middle of the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Jesus, I missed that, but used to work in the city center, there was often sh*t outside the back entrance to the shop.

As soon as the hostel in lady lane left people out, it was off limits to got for a cig anywhere around city square. The security lads in the center often got rid of them just in time.

Same with the Quay by the enterance to the jetty at the clock tower. I always park in the car park and walk up, I've never had any hassle from them, but I did see tourists walking along the river move into the car park to avoid them.

All you can do is call the cops everytime they do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Walk in the back entrance to city square most lunchtimes and they really get away with what ever they want. The most recent things I have seen include;

One drunk scumbag punching another than taking a crutch off another fella and chasing the guy he punched in towards city square try to hit him with it.

Another chap was so drunk he was holding himself up with his head against the wall outside the back entrance (about 20 yards from door) and p1ssing all over himself trying to go against the wall as a teacher was walking past with a load of kids.

That woman who is always drinking at the back smacking some other drunk across the face and screaming the place down.

The guy in the wheelchair who is always begging having a screaming match with his fellow countrymen

The junkie who always says 'scussse meee' once you walk past him passed out on the pavement with his buddies trying to drag him down the road

A regular drinking session with about 5-7 of them sitting on peoples cars just down on Olaf street seems to be happening for the last two weeks. That’s just the more memorable ones. Aggressive begging is more common now also.

Rang cops for first two incidents and got told they were very busy. As I was walking back that way half an hour after giving cops a description of guy who threw punch he was still there and blocking an old woman trying to walk to down path so she had to take her buggy onto the road. Rang again and told them the same guy was now intimidating passers by including an old woman and was told that we already told you we were busy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I can't remember where but earlier this year in some town in the UK they tried an experiment whereby the public drunks were given a space where they could drink outdoors but not be a nuisance to public. At the time it appeared to be working anyway. Sorry I've no further details but it featured on BBC breakfast tv.

Personally, I'd be pretty medieval when it comes to people who disturb my peace and tranquillity and that of other law abiding/contributing citizens. Anyone can end up homeless but folks who behave like arseholes will not do well when I am King :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

spookwoman wrote: »
    The archway from the main road up to the tax office the amount of times I've had to step over human **** is sickening. A few years back one morning my mum was walking down by the ulterbank and one of them was getting a blow job right in the middle of the street.

Did anyone get her name??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    As soon as the hostel in lady lane left people out, it was off limits to got for a cig anywhere around city square. The security lads in the center often got rid of them just in time.

The hostel is moving to Bath street, where BAM have the tower crane at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

old gregg wrote: »
    I can't remember where but earlier this year in some town in the UK they tried an experiment whereby the public drunks were given a space where they could drink outdoors but not be a nuisance to public. At the time it appeared to be working anyway. Sorry I've no further details but it featured on BBC breakfast tv.

Personally, I'd be pretty medieval when it comes to people who disturb my peace and tranquillity and that of other law abiding/contributing citizens. Anyone can end up homeless but folks who behave like arseholes will not do well when I am King :p

Set them up in templars hall around exam time .......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

i have rang the Gards about this problem and e-mailed our councillors. I have posted a list of councillor e-mails in another thread.

If others e-mail them also, they will be shamed into doing something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Max Powers wrote: »
    i have rang the Gards about this problem and e-mailed our councillors. I have posted a list of councillor e-mails in another thread.

Politicians......shame...........politicians..............shame...........
    Something isnt adding up here :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Do you mind posting them again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I dont see too much going on there. Its usually just the dirty romanian guy in the wheelchair who I completely ignore.

After that I have only ever come across "my town" (but he pops up everywhere) and a group of people in tracksuits looking dodgey. I pass there a few times every day, maybe Im just lucky. Never anything as bad as described above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

gscully wrote: »
    Did anyone get her name??

Sorry didn't. Think it was one of the alco's rather than a prossy. You'd want to be careful there gscully don't know what you might catch off them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Have any of ye ever been away. I feel myself it looks bad but when you go to any city in the world there are bums. Most of the tourists that come here are UK/American and the quality of psychotic homeless people in their countries make the bums we have look extremely ordinary.
    Its no big deal and nothin can be done about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I have received replys from Gary Wyse, John Cummins and Sean Reihardt saying they will act on it and also bring it up at the next joint policing committee. Gary Wyse in fairness to him replyed with an extensive e-mail; said that he was already onto the Gradai about it. Fair play to him and the other 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Has anyone ever watched The Wire? Remember when they established Freetown - the derelict area which they moved all the bums and junkies into and made drugs and public drinking legal in that specific area only!?

How about we bus all the lads to one of the ghost estates and let them have one big never-ending session. Everyone's happy!

Yeah I was thinking about thing from The Wire when I suggested the drunks be moved to a designated area. North Quays or some other run-down area like that would be suitable. Garda would need to follow what they did in The Wire and keep rounding up the drunks in the city centre and bring them to the designated area until they get the message. Could you imagine the Gardai doing something that progressive though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Yeah "My Town", a nasty piece of work, some of the stuff he says is vile. It wouldn't bother me personally but when women and kids are walking by and he's saying real filthy, sexually related rubbish then it's not good. The Gardai can see these wasters in real time on their CCTV. They choose not to do anything, unless they get a phone call about it, in which case they might move them on.

The drunken louts have been hanging around the city centre for as long as I can remember and the issue is constantly raised by councillors and others. I've read many articles in the local press over the last decade about this problem. The simple solution would be just damage limitation, i.e. Gardai constantly move the drunks outside of the main shopping/tourist area. Let them know they can drink in some designated areas but never in the city centre.

The Gardai don't care about this problem. It's not a resource issue either. I was out at the Bluegrass Festival and they had 3 undercover twats going around the village stopping & searching young people like me in the hopes they'd catch them with some drugs. Another night I was waiting for a lift on my own at the Railway Square bus shelter after night clubs closed and 2 undercover again searched me for no reason. This was 100 yards away from the 4 corners of death where many drunk, violent goons were hanging around.

Ask them to do something about serious crime like abusive winos, the travellers, homes being broken into... they won't do a fcuking thing.

That's justice for you irish style and it's the same all over the country.Instead of doing the jobs that we pay them to do our servants of the law are too busy sitting on there arses while whinos and junkies roam the streets of our cities.There is a road on Cork's northside where they like to try and catch speeding motorists.Yet they won't do anything about the heroin dealers on a nearby housing estate!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

I've seen in other towns & cities where there are bye-laws banning drinking in public in certain areas.

Surely it can't be too difficult to bring this law into Waterford & ask the city council to put pressure on the Gardai to do their job & at the minimus confiscate the drink off them. that would make them look elsewhere to do their boozeing.

There is no reason why decent people going around their business should have to experince abuse from drunk scumbags.

Advertisement