Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q-Sat Satellite Service

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Jaysus thats pricy enough isnt it? I dont know anything about them though so cant help there.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭JShannow

seanybiker wrote: »
    Jaysus thats pricy enough isnt it? I dont know anything about them though so cant help there.

Yep it is, it is for my sister who lives in a non broadband area so getting anything at all out there is a bonus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Is that a bit pricy?? I really don't know. What are other packages like. I live in a rural area with no broadband, have Sky that cost something in the region of 35 Euro a month, and Eircom that is about 75 Euro every 2 months. So that doesn't seem too bad. Am I being naieve?? I suppose the 99 Euro installation fee ups the cost a bit, but Sky was that too.

lewisdhead wrote: »
    Is that a bit pricy?? I really don't know. What are other packages like. I live in a rural area with no broadband, have Sky that cost something in the region of 35 Euro a month, and Eircom that is about 75 Euro every 2 months. So that doesn't seem too bad. Am I being naieve?? I suppose the 99 Euro installation fee ups the cost a bit, but Sky was that too.

I think compared to UPC it is pricey but then again UPC that is only available in city areas.. People out in the countryside have to pay more for a lesser service it seems..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Has she tried any of the Mobile Broadband Dongles ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Junior wrote: »
    Has she tried any of the Mobile Broadband Dongles ?

I don't know about OP but I tried the O2 dongle, but the signal was poor, an edge signal was the best I got and couldn't get a full 3G signal.

lewisdhead wrote: »
    I don't know about OP but I tried the O2 dongle, but the signal was poor, an edge signal was the best I got and couldn't get a full 3G signal.

Yes tried O2 and it wasn't great at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Did you try 3? I got a free simcard last week and can use my phone as a wifi hotspot. Seems grand. I'm in the city though.

Did you try 3? I got a free simcard last week and can use my phone as a wifi hotspot. Seems grand. I'm in the city though.

I used to have a 3 mobile and it was like a reception black hole out there! So doubt their dongle would be any better..

Also I know someone who is having terrible trouble cancelling with 3 at the moment even tho their satellite service wont work in their area. 3 claimed it did when they signed up and are now refusing to let them cancel even tho bb wont work at all.. Comreg are involved and say 3 have no leg to stand on tho.. So def would stay away from them after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

JShannow wrote: »
    I used to have a 3 mobile and it was like a reception black hole out there! So doubt their dongle would be any better..

Also I know someone who is having terrible trouble cancelling with 3 at the moment even tho their satellite service wont work in their area. 3 claimed it did when they signed up and are now refusing to let them cancel even tho bb wont work at all.. Comreg are involved and say 3 have no leg to stand on tho.. So def would stay away from them after that!

What part of county/city is this blackhole with no reception, maybe some of the wireless broadband companies have coverage there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Anyone with qsat already? If so, can you go to speedtest.net and pingtest.net and post the results? Would be interested to see ping times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Their usage caps are dreadful. Stay well clear

http://qsat.ie/broadband/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Q sat looks absolutely pointless, the triple play :rolleyes: consists of a tv service which compromises of free to air tv stations, A phone service which would be horrible given the ping/latency time for sat broadband . And finally the speed and caps for the broadband are a joke, 1GB a month could easily be used in a day. You would be better of if could get any mobile signal(3g or even EDGE) to use it and find a suitable data cap and install a free to a system yourself for a few hundred and have it forever rather then rent one of q sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Give Onwave a look, used to be irish satellite broadband. Im in the same situation. No other options. They have dropped their install price and their limit monthly although still low is 4 times qsat's. www.onwave.ie i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I live in Stradbally and can't get even GPRS with O2 & 3 but I have q decent enough 3G Signal with Vodafone. You won't be able to say use XBOX Live but you can run any webpage and download the odd TV show handy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

http://www.three.ie/nbs/index.html

As far as I'm aware, or at least it used to be the case, if Three can't provide you with coverage then they're required to provide you with a satellite option for the same price!

AdMMM wrote: »
    http://www.three.ie/nbs/index.html

As far as I'm aware, or at least it used to be the case, if Three can't provide you with coverage then they're required to provide you with a satellite option for the same price!

The issue with 3 was that they claimed the house was between two satellites and the signal kept redirecting, resulting in dropped signal constantly.. The would not admit that this issue made it almost impossible to do anything as well as being extremely frustrating..

Advertisement