Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adult Braces Experience

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭k mac

Hugomyboss that's a very good price do you mind me asking what part of the country you are getting your treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

k mac wrote: »
    Hugomyboss that's a very good price do you mind me asking what part of the country you are getting your treatment

I'm getting it done with an orthodontist in Donnybrook. Also note that I got 200 off for paying the total cost up front.

Money paid and first retainer in my gob on the 4th of April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    Deadly, im going with Hugh's other practice in Dublin.

Edit:

Can you remember the name of the dentist who provided you with the treatment?, I presume it wasnt Hugh himself

yeah it was Hugh - 95% of the time who provided the treatment. one or two appointments were with someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

I have been quoted 4.4k for damon braces from smiles clinic for roughly 18 - 24 months. I'm wondering what should be covered in this fees?

Its damon, both arches, fixed bar. There'e might be bonding being carried out as I've small teeth and a tongue which the open gaps/spaces in my teeth.

Money paid and first retainer in my gob on the 4th of April.

And its done. Took 70 mins for the process. Had some teeth filed as well.

Not bad at all, feel a little strange with the retainers in but no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Reynolds2

Hi there,
    I was just wondering if anyone here has had experience with getting adult braces in Northern Ireland recently? I have to get a lot of ortho work done over the next 3 years and have been quoted prices of 3,500-4,000E. I am living in Drogheda so could easily travel over the border if it were much cheaper up there.
    All advice greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Reynolds2 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I was just wondering if anyone here has had experience with getting adult braces in Northern Ireland recently? I have to get a lot of ortho work done over the next 3 years and have been quoted prices of 3,500-4,000E. I am living in Drogheda so could easily travel over the border if it were much cheaper up there.

3500-4000 is cheap to be honest. you will likely be visiting 30 + times over 3 years so honestly keep in local because you cant transfer otho once you start

rex-x wrote: »
    3500-4000 is cheap to be honest. you will likely be visiting 30 + times over 3 years so honestly keep in local because you cant transfer otho once you start

Is the visiting times normally included in the price?

• Advertisement

ebayissues wrote: »
    Is the visiting times normally included in the price?

Yes, that is what you are paying for, a visit every 2-6 weeks for 2-3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Reynolds2 wrote: »
    Hi there,

hey,
    I'm in Drogheda too and travelled to Newry to get mine done.
    Mine are circa 2k sterling for fixed braces. Travel up and down every 6 weeks or so. Zen ortho is where I went.
    For sure shop around. Hopefully you will get a good deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Would anyone have any recommendations for orthodontist in north/south wicklow? My dentist recommended an ortho in donnybrook but it's a bit out if my way. I'm tempted because prices seem good but i guess i'd be travelling there every 6 weeks even if i go for Invisalign? Even somewhere along m50 south of red cow would suit me.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Would anyone have any recommendations for orthodontist in north/south wicklow? My dentist recommended an ortho in donnybrook but it's a bit out if my way. I'm tempted because prices seem good but i guess i'd be travelling there every 6 weeks even if i go for Invisalign? Even somewhere along m50 south of red cow would suit me.

I attend every 8 weeks for Invisalign to an Orthodontist in Donnybrook. Could you pm me the name of the orthodontist recommended?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Anyone here have experience with 6 month smiles? My dentist offers it, but it seems to have mixed reviews online. Can't really see the differences between 6 month smiles & invisalign.

Jay1989 wrote: »
    Anyone here have experience with 6 month smiles? My dentist offers it, but it seems to have mixed reviews online. Can't really see the differences between 6 month smiles & invisalign.

Have had a consultation for invisalign and am going for one for 6 month smiles next week and the first big difference is the price with 6 month smiles 1600 euro cheaper. Now the orthodontist I went for the consultation that recommended invisalign or normal braces doesn't agree with 6 month smiles but then again he doesn't offer it.

• Advertisement

Getting my braces on friday - anything I should do/prepare myself for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Have had a consultation for invisalign and am going for one for 6 month smiles next week and the first big difference is the price with 6 month smiles 1600 euro cheaper. Now the orthodontist I went for the consultation that recommended invisalign or normal braces doesn't agree with 6 month smiles but then again he doesn't offer it.

That's great, thanks for the info. When you have a chance, would be interested to hear how you got on with the 6MS consultation. Best of luck with it anyway!

Invisalign use clear trays like a retainer to slowly move teeth into place, these are removable but not capable of big movements and not as accurate as normal braces so the end result may not be as good as it could be.

6 month smiles are normal braces taken off before the job is finished basically and performed by a general dentist and not an orthodontist. The hardware is all the same except some places use tooth coloured wires (which are actually worse due to the extra friction)

If you want straight teeth then go to an orthodontist and just get normal braces. They will produce the very best result possible and IMO are the most comfortable way to go about tooth straightening.

Rex when you say the tooth coloured wires are worse do you mean they cause more pain or don't do as good a job? And again you say that normal braces are the most comfortable way do you think they are less painful than invisalign.

Rex when you say the tooth coloured wires are worse do you mean they cause more pain or don't do as good a job? And again you say that normal braces are the most comfortable way do you think they are less painful than invisalign.

They cause more friction than plain stainless steel or niti wires so don't work as well. Whichever method you choose will have some pain and discomfort but with normal braces they are kind of fit and forget, you can eat etc and you will eventually forget you have them on at all!

With Invisalign you will be very aware all the time you have something in your mouth and will probably not be able to speak properly. You also have to remove them and brush your teeth EVERY time you eat anything which IMO is an almighty pain in the arse.

I have just finished 2 years in normal braces and am wearing essix retainers (exactly like an invisalign tray) full time for a few weeks and for sure the braces were more comfortable and easier to deal with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Bus Boy

Getting my braces on friday - anything I should do/prepare myself for?

Pasta, soup, straws, Nurofen etc.. TeePee's for cleaning(you'll become a pro). It'll be sore for 1-2 weeks in there. Loads of wax to prevent the inside scratching. On a serious note, it'll be worth while. Best of luck.

They cause more friction than plain stainless steel or niti wires so don't work as well. Whichever method you choose will have some pain and discomfort but with normal braces they are kind of fit and forget, you can eat etc and you will eventually forget you have them on at all!

With Invisalign you will be very aware all the time you have something in your mouth and will probably not be able to speak properly. You also have to remove them and brush your teeth EVERY time you eat anything which IMO is an almighty pain in the arse.

I have just finished 2 years in normal braces and am wearing essix retainers (exactly like an invisalign tray) full time for a few weeks and for sure the braces were more comfortable and easier to deal with

I have had no problems with my speech and would disagree about being continuosly aware of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭MFlack2012

I have had no problems with my speech and would disagree about being continuosly aware of them.

Same. I have a slight lisp anyways, but only noticed very minor speech changes for 1-2 days per new aligner. Once I stopped concentrating on them, the pressure eased, I had no issues. Actually forgot I was wearing them most of the time, so much so, that I would put something in my mouth, remember and have to remove it to, take my aligner out.

I never had to brush after eating ,every time. My orthodontist, told me to always carry water with me, rinse with water before putting in the aligner again. Never had to carry a brush around with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mel123

Dont agree here. Have invisalign and they are no bother at all, i would defiantly forget i have them. From the get go they were no bother to wear at all, i never got any blisters and get very minimal pain for a couple of hours on each new retainer.
    The results i have seen on people post invisalign are amazing, i dont know you can suggest they are inferior.

What did/ do you guys use to clean your Invisaligners?

What did/ do you guys use to clean your Invisaligners?

Toothbrush and toothpaste. Found the kids sized toothbrushes fantastic, got packs of 10-20 for €1-€2 a pack in euro stores. Lasted ages. Clean once in the morning and night when brushing my own teeth. Other than that, as previous, continuously drinking and cleaning with water after eating.

I was also given a cleaner and retainer brite tablets, but only ever used once or twice. Found toothpaste to be better for cleaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mel123

+1 just toothbruh and toothpaste. The booklet says not to use toothpaste but my dentist said its fine, go ahead.
    I sometimes leave a bit of mouth wash in them for 5 minutes just to get rid of that smell - y'all know what im talking about :-)

My dentist said to drink all drinks with sugar from a straw....i dont...anyone know why, at the time i never thought to ask her the reason?? Maybe i should start?

Thanks for the replies.

My ortho told me not to use toothpaste, so Im using washing up liquid!!!

Also, I was told that I could only drink milk and water with the aligners in.

mel123 wrote: »
    +1 just toothbruh and toothpaste. The booklet says not to use toothpaste but my dentist said its fine, go ahead.
    I sometimes leave a bit of mouth wash in them for 5 minutes just to get rid of that smell - y'all know what im talking about :-)

My dentist said to drink all drinks with sugar from a straw....i dont...anyone know why, at the time i never thought to ask her the reason?? Maybe i should start?

I did that with one pair and it sort of made them brittle-ish, so didn't try it again.

Make it go down, rather than coating your teeth/mouth. Because the aligner is fitted right into teeth, the sugar builds up and aligner pushes down, causes cavities a lot quicker than normally. I have never done this. Have no cavities, other than ones that I had previous to aligners. I do find tea really stains though.

Thanks for the replies.

My ortho told me not to use toothpaste, so Im using washing up liquid!!!

Also, I was told that I could only drink milk and water with the aligners in.

I've always been told that, washing up liquid is poisonous if not rinsed properly! Be careful.

As a rule, but rules are made to be broken! :D Yes I was warned, as I'm sure others are, to avoid sugary drinks/tea/coffee/juices. I drink water for the most part, but wouldn't give up some fizzy drinks/tea. Cut out as much as possible though.

• Advertisement

mel123 wrote: »
    Dont agree here. Have invisalign and they are no bother at all, i would defiantly forget i have them. From the get go they were no bother to wear at all, i never got any blisters and get very minimal pain for a couple of hours on each new retainer.
    The results i have seen on people post invisalign are amazing, i dont know you can suggest they are inferior.
    Again it's only my experience with them vs conventional braces, has anyone who commented had both? Invisalign can produce fantastic results but they don't have the accuracy and ability to do difficult movements of normal braces. Its more the difference between 90% and 100% most people wouldn't notice.

But you would be hard pushed to find an orthodontist that would choose invisalign vs traditional brackets if the patient left it up to them

Again it's only my experience with them vs conventional braces, has anyone who commented had both? Invisalign can produce fantastic results but they don't have the accuracy and ability to do difficult movements of normal braces. Its more the difference between 90% and 100% most people wouldn't notice

Didn't have both, refused for a decade to get braces. They have a higher accuracy according to my ortho. My front tooth was at a 240 degree angle, I had an overbite on both sides, overcrowding and my top palate was in a v shape rather than u shape. My ortho recommended Invisalign rather than braces for better accuracy.

MFlack2012 wrote: »
    Didn't have both, refused for a decade to get braces. They have a higher accuracy according to my ortho. My front tooth was at a 240 degree angle, I had an overbite on both sides, overcrowding and my top palate was in a v shape rather than u shape. My ortho recommended Invisalign rather than braces for better accuracy.

They definitely don't have better accuracy.... Even a quick google will show you that

They definitely don't have better accuracy.... Even a quick google will show you that

I would believe my orthodontist with over 30 years experience more than google. My own experience would also be proof to me.

I would believe my orthodontist with over 30 years experience more than google. My own experience would also be proof to me.

If you are happy with your treatment then that is the most important thing. I wont push the point.

How are you guys managing with having the Invisaligners in 22 out of 24 hours?.
    I'd say mine are in 21 out of 24.

How are you guys managing with having the Invisaligners in 22 out of 24 hours?.
    I'd say mine are in 21 out of 24.

When I got them in the first time, I had them in about 15 hours out of the 24, this second time, I knew I had to have them in as long as possible. I was getting up to 21/22 hours most days, but not every day. The retainer I was better with at night, it was in and covered the fall out from the day. I now have the bar retainer with the removable retainer and find it much better.

When I got them in the first time, I had them in about 15 hours out of the 24, this second time, I knew I had to have them in as long as possible. I was getting up to 21/22 hours most days, but not every day. The retainer I was better with at night, it was in and covered the fall out from the day. I now have the bar retainer with the removable retainer and find it much better.

Was your ortho happy with having them in for 15 hours at the start, I presume you mean for your first fitted tray ? Obviously from what you are saying your treatment was still a success. I am still trying to decide on invisalign or 6 month braces and one of the sticking points with invisalign is having to wear them for the 22 hours of the day and having to reduce having the odd snack and cup of tea!!!

Was your ortho happy with having them in for 15 hours at the start, I presume you mean for your first fitted tray ? Obviously from what you are saying your treatment was still a success. I am still trying to decide on invisalign or 6 month braces and one of the sticking points with invisalign is having to wear them for the 22 hours of the day and having to reduce having the odd snack and cup of tea!!!

He wasn't happy, it took longer. I gradually got more comfortable with them and was wearing them longer. It was still a success. But because I didn't get the bar retainer they slipped slightly. This second time I was told it would be nine months treatment and I had them on for six months wearing them at 20/22 per day. I have not reduced any snacks or tea, in fact, probably increased them. But it does stain. I get mine cleaned at the dentist once per year.

• Advertisement

So too update I've now had my consultation for 6 month braces and it's decision time as to go with them or the invisalign (or neither )!!😩.
    Dentist i had the consultation with for the 6 month was very honest and seemed knowledgeable. Told me honestly that I would probably get a better result with invisalign as he would only be moving the teeth that will be seen when I smile. He also told me that my treatment would possibly take 9 months instead of 6 as I have a tooth that needs to be rotated completely and this would delay the process. The pros he said is that my treatment would be finished alot quicker ( up to 9 months as opposed to 18 months possibly longer) . Another pro is the price it works out at 2200 after tax against 3600 after tax back for invisalign.
    Also I have only 2 front teeth overlapping on top and front teeth crowded on the bottom so these would be straightened with this treatment and these are what I'm most self conscious about.

Now for the cons in my opinion i have an over bite so would have to wear these bite blockers for around 3 months and having read up on these they seem to be worse than the braces.
    I think if I'm going to be wearing braces for 9 months am I not as well go with the invisalign for the extra 9 months for the better results (or is 9 months more with a mouth full of plastic alot??)
    I think the braces could be more painful.

Now for the invisalign pros and cons
    Pros;
    Better end result
    Less visible (fairly important to me)
    Think they might be less painful than braces (just my thinking may not be the case)
    Less visits to the orthodontist
    Work is being carried out by an orthodontist with a good reputation and reviews

Cons:
    My main issue with them is the hassle of having to take them out every time you have to eat and drink something. I'm not a big snacker but do like a few cups of tea a day. I drive alot for work and like to snack on some fruit or fill the travel mug for the journey this would be very hard to do and also the fact that I would have to pull over to wash and floss. Also there is the discomfort I'm sure at first of taking them out and getting used to it. Again I wouldn't be a big drinker but if you were out for a few or a meal they would have to be removed and then maybe they are not in for the 22 hours a day. A few glasses of wine at home would be the same problem. An occasion such as a wedding or functions have to be removed for most of the day

The treatment would take alot longer.
    Trying to get used to having the strange sensation of them for a long period of time.

Alot more expensive.

Decisions decisions!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

I'm coming towards the end of braces and wondering with black triangles, are the bonding to fix these included or are these extra costs. Would it be more cost effective to request IPR instead and try close the gaps that way?

Just wondering what the general consensus would be with the bonding costs, thanks.

Quick one for you guys. It's been a fee weeks that I've gotten braces now and I've brushed immediately after dinner.

A few days ago after having a curry noticed a green spot on top of my bottom molars on each side. Again after having a curry last night those same molars had green discoloration.

After vigorously brushing the green color were still there and faded lightly. Tonight after brushing they became greener.

I've brushed immediately after breakfast, lunch and dinner. So hygiene wise is okay. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Quick one for you guys. It's been a fee weeks that I've gotten braces now and I've brushed immediately after dinner.

A few days ago after having a curry noticed a green spot on top of my bottom molars on each side. Again after having a curry last night those same molars had green discoloration.

After vigorously brushing the green color were still there and faded lightly. Tonight after brushing they became greener.

I've brushed immediately after breakfast, lunch and dinner. So hygiene wise is okay. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Sounds like gangrene! ;)

I would say it's discolouration from the colourings in the curry, staining your bonding (White 'cement' that binds the brace to teeth), you can get a tablet form of a kind of hygiene bleach in most pharamacies. Your best bet is to call your Ortho and ask what they recommend to remove the discolouration. Failing that, they may be putting new bonding on when you go for your next visit and may ask you to wait until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Got my braces off this morning, can't stop smiling (or looking at my teeth!) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭The lips

Re invisalign : what was your interval between changing aligners? 10days? 2weeks?

I have been told to change at ten day intervals.

Is this the norm?

The lips wrote: »
    Re invisalign : what was your interval between changing aligners? 10days? 2weeks?

I have been told to change at ten day intervals.

Is this the norm?

The first 5 aligners, I changed every 14 days, now aligners 6 to 11, I change every 7 days. Don now how long the remaining ones will be for yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CoffeeAnathema

I would say it's discolouration from the colourings in the curry, staining your bonding (White 'cement' that binds the brace to teeth), you can get a tablet form of a kind of hygiene bleach in most pharamacies. Your best bet is to call your Ortho and ask what they recommend to remove the discolouration. Failing that, they may be putting new bonding on when you go for your next visit and may ask you to wait until then.

That stuff can be stained?! That never even occurred to me.

Do you know if coffee (as in almost marathonial amounts throughout the day :p ) would do the same? or do any damage to braces in general? :eek:

That stuff can be stained?! That never even occurred to me.

Do you know if coffee (as in almost marathonial amounts throughout the day :p ) would do the same? or do any damage to braces in general? :eek:

For Aligners (Invisalign), I was recommended to stay away from Tea, Coffee, Juices etc as much as possible. the first time, I didn't really drink much of any of that stuff, but second treatment was harder as I became a tea addict. I definitely noticed and notice still, the staining from tea. Yes coffee stains the teeth, braces etc. With Invisalign, you need to remove the aligners anyway to drink, but yes they get stained and hold the stains (obviously closer to the teeth). This also stains the bonding and can do damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I got my invisalign fitted 4 weeks ago, got 1 front tooth last week.

All was going well until today, I was back for the brackets. I got a lot fitted, 8 top and bottom. (yup my teeth are bad!)

Taking off the braces is very very painful at the minute, and difficult. If one side pops up it can cause a lot of pain if the other side doesn't come loose.
    will this die down when I get used to them or will it be this bad every 2 weeks when I change to another set.

• Advertisement
Advertisement