Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U-Card & Printing Services

Options
  • 04-10-2011 1:41pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ok so does anyone know precisely what the story is with the new U-Card and printing services? Who at the moment can actually avail of the service and when will it be rolled out for all students / staff?

I was in Newman both yesterday and today and I notice that most of the Copi-Print printers are now using the U-Card system with only one or two using the old system. Needless to say there are massive queues to use the old printers because seemingly very few can use the U-Card one yet. It's a bit of a farce tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

Ya it's my current pet peeve. They're doing it on a "phased" basis. Great idea. Sure they only had the whole summer to do it!

A whole new integrated system of copying AND printing should have been introduced when they brought in the new flashy printing system a few years ago!

The idea of having less cards and stream lining this is great but why streamline some things and not others?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Will the Ricoh printing stations be affected by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

misslt wrote: »
    Will the Ricoh printing stations be affected by this?

No, AFAIK it's just the photocopiers they're changing. Wrecking me buzz it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

As an ickle fresher, I think the u-card system is class. . .literally all I need to bring around campus is the one card, its access to library/gym/accomodation, printing, paying for stuff, ID in the bank. . .pisseasy to top-up as well. . .I do understand the frustration of those for whom printers are slowly disappearing, as opposed to a clean break, but in fairness, if you'd a good few euro worth of printing left over from last year, you'd want a couple of months to work it off before the switch-over. . .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

As an ickle fresher, I think the u-card system is class. . .literally all I need to bring around campus is the one card, its access to library/gym/accomodation, printing, paying for stuff, ID in the bank. . .pisseasy to top-up as well. . .I do understand the frustration of those for whom printers are slowly disappearing, as opposed to a clean break, but in fairness, if you'd a good few euro worth of printing left over from last year, you'd want a couple of months to work it off before the switch-over. . .

It's a great system no doubt once you can use it - put it's no bloody good to those of us who can't even get a U Card yet whilst in the mean time our copying services are bein withdrawn.

Where is the SU on this matter? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

So this is replacing those emos card things? But my student card printing is being left alone?

It's a great system no doubt once you can use it - put it's no bloody good to those of us who can't even get a U Card yet whilst in the mean time our copying services are bein withdrawn.

Where is the SU on this matter? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

So can anyone tell me, as a Masters student new to UCD completely, new Student Card this year. How do I print off stuff in the library? Do I have to top up my UCard thingy to print off stuff in the library?

So can anyone tell me, as a Masters student new to UCD completely, new Student Card this year. How do I print off stuff in the library? Do I have to top up my UCard thingy to print off stuff in the library?

Everyone gets 50c complementary credit. . .theres a top-up machine on the left after you go in, just before the elevator. You type in your student number and password(automatically set at 0000), and then put in money to top-up (you can probably do this online too). To print, theres a swipe section on the printer for the card. You then type in your password, and the print jobs u've sent there in the last 2 hours come up.

To print from a computer in the library itll be really easy, therell be 4 options (a3/4, bw or colour) and just pick one. You can also download software from UCD onto your laptop, and print from there. . .

http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/itsupport/printing/printingforstudents/howtoprintfromyourlaptop/#d.en.17877 explains it well enough

Hope this helps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Huh?

You are meant to keep your student card from year to year. The one student card is meant to do you for your entire program.

• Advertisement

Huh?

You are meant to keep your student card from year to year. The one student card is meant to do you for your entire program.

Ah right, didnt know that (1st year!). . .but in that case, I presume that your student card is now ALSO a U-card. . .after all, U-Card is just an extension of the student card, the big thing being that you can now pay for things with it. . .check SISWEB. . .if you have a "My U-Card" option, I presume this has transpired. . .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

No, the U-Cards are brand new cards. I'm in second year but have one because I live on campus. They had to give me a brand new student card, so now I have two student cards (that look almost identical, except for the new U-Card says 'Student / Mac Léinn whereas the old one just said Student), I still have the old one but it's been deactivated as I couldn't get out of the library with it (took the wrong card out of my wallet).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone can get one for free whenever from Merville Reception. Fact, did it two weeks ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just got an email saying existing students can collect their U-Card from tomorrow. Of course, they would announce this right after I bought a "visitor"/temporary card.

Is U-Card not replacing Ricoh printing as well? Seems silly to have two different printing services associated with your student card/number.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Everyone gets 50c complementary credit
    I never got any free credit!
    It's fúcking annoying that the only top-up station anywhere near arts (library foyer) has been broken for ages.
    And, while they can top-up the cards in the print shops, not all the staff will. Meaning you have to trek to the nearest working machine :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 berzo

No Ricoh are not being replaced
    You do not get credit on your u Card only on your account from Ricoh
    there are 2 printing systems on campus . thus you can have 2 accounts on the one card .
    One system is on Richo printing .. run from the Dedalus...operated in the library and the SUAS printers. There is a kiosk for topping this up in the Library and dedalus bldg also on sis web .. This is where your free 50cent is .
    The second system is UCard . this replaces the old copi-card system .
    If you are a 1st year this is your student card and all you need to so is pop into the print shop opposite theater L and put money on it .
    This will allow you to print copy and scan in the library and and at the bank of machines opposite theater L .
    all 2nd years need to have their card activated by u card dept either in Merville or at the stand outside the library .
    All 3/4 years post grads and master can go to the stand also and have their card replaced .
    If you got a new card ..eg if you are 1st year post grad or in the residents apt........this is you u card also .
    The top up machine outside the library is not broken ...it never worked in the first place .
    Copi-cards are on the way out and staff in the shop cannot top them up anymore ,,,this is to make you sort you u card once and for all . so get the lead out ....

Advertisement