Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holyhead Twinning

Options
  • 04-10-2011 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Why is Greystones Town Council trying to twin with Holyhead in north Wales? :confused:

"Chamber gives thumbs down to Holyhead Twinning"
    - Wicklow Times Tues 4th Oct 2022"

I have to be honest I just don't like the place (Holyhead), I've been there plenty of times and have managed to leave as fast as possible.

How about Barmouth or another place in Wales?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

:Dre you reading into the future Wicklow times,year 2022:DIf so it's not happening for another 10 years...sounds about right:)
    Sorry,couldn't resist,didnt read that bit,just about the lights........

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree, Holyhead is a sad, depressing tip of a place, which is a shame really because most of the rest of Anglesey is very nice, something most people who land at Holyhead and head for the A55 straight out of the place don't get to appreciate.

I can't imagine what shared characteristics Greystones and Holyhead are supposed to share to support a twinning arrangement apart from both being next to the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

I have to agree with both the previous posts, I've been in Holyhead dozens of times and it's really nothing like Greystones, I cant possibly imagine why they would twin. (although according to the article it was the only reply they got?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Holyhead is already twinned with Dun Laoghaire. At least they had the ferry ports in common. Unfortunately that appears to be a thing of the past.
    Could we get the fast ferry to berth in Greystones, maybe thats what is behind this twinning lark :D:D:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micandre

snowbabe wrote: »
    :Dre you reading into the future Wicklow times,year 2022:DIf so it's not happening for another 10 years...sounds about right:)
    Sorry,couldn't resist,didnt read that bit,just about the lights........

opps typo 2011 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭homer911

I would vote for Bangor or Llandudno...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Llandudno is a good proposal. Similar population of roughly 20k.

Either that or Malahide. Plenty in common there.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mind you, Bray is twinned with Würzburg, two places that couldn't be more unlike IMO, so maybe that isn't considered an important factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Holyhead is already twinned with Dun Laoghaire. At least they had the ferry ports in common. Unfortunately that appears to be a thing of the past.
    Could we get the fast ferry to berth in Greystones, maybe thats what is behind this twinning lark :D:D:D.

Well... that's probably the next phase of work in the harbour...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

If there was a vote I would go with Oulu in Finland - also by the sea - great little spot - people there are dead sound. Of all the places I have been to they most reminded me of the sound Irish the ones we tell all the tourists are here :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement