Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone: Anyone else told their sync rate cannot be changed

• 04-10-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hi All,

I live about 4k from the exchange. And my sync rate is 2Mb I pay for up to 8mb. I have never had my DSL disconnect in nearly a years service its great!

Technical limitations aside. I want to try and sync it at 3Mb.

My profile is capped at 2Mb apparently and Vodafone wont change it however there seems to be some irregularities in them stating they couldnt change it for me.

Below is a response from Vodafone to me and a post I found which contradicts what Vodafone told me.

Vodafones response to me after enquiring to try 3Mb sync rate.
    "Bad news - the supplier has capped the line at 2mb, much as I'd like to, I don't have a way to override this (we've escalated this to management to see if a process can be established, but no news as yet)."

Who the hell is 'the supplier'? and what business have 'they' over a contract I signed with Vodafone.
    Vodafone own their own switches at the exchange dont they? Vodafone have access to those I dont care about a 3rd party supplier!?

Post extract from another Thread
    I just read on a post in March/April the following was a reply from a Vodafone support engineer:
    Link to post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056214241

"There is no technical reason why we would want to keep you on a low speed, as it's of no benefit to do so, as aktelmiele notes, the broadband product includes a number of profiles within each package, we offer the 3mb, 7mb and 24mb versions (with a free upgrade to enhanced versions of the same in applicable areas) - there's literally no reason for us to not offer the best speed your line can take (within the limits of the package), we lose nothing by doing so."

It seems that Vodafone are talking about a 3rd party for a response to my sync speed in that they have no way of changing my sync rate nor does my sync ever change even though there is room to do so or try from my stats. But in the post replay Vodafone make it sound like they have freedom to manipulate package profiles and 2Mb is not a typical profile sync rate."??

Anyone have any ideas or been told the same? when their connection is very stable? Ive been told in the past my line could accept a stable max of 3.2Mb

We all pay alot of money for broadband in rural areas where Fibre is but a dream but common were sold "up to 8Mb" so why not give us closer to what our line can take!

Thanks
    Nick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

The possibility of changing the sync speed depends on certain factors, i.e. whether you're on Eircoms bitstream or LLU.

The max rate might be 3.2mb. 3 might work, but could be unstable. If you're on LLU, it's not possible to change the sync rate higher than what the line stats report back at.

Do you know what exchange you're on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

"the Supplier" Is Eircom wholesale, I don't think vodafone do LLU at which point their reselling the eircom products, which a quick check of thier product list seems to confirm

johnciall wrote: »
    "the Supplier" Is Eircom wholesale, I don't think vodafone do LLU at which point their reselling the eircom products, which a quick check of thier product list seems to confirm

Vodafone indeed do LLU. You might recall BT's Irish operations being acquired by them? Yep, they're running BT's LLU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Vodafone changed my profile from 7mb down to 6mb because of issues in the last 2 weeks. They should be able to change yours but you may start having problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

roast wrote: »
    Vodafone indeed do LLU. You might recall BT's Irish operations being acquired by them? Yep, they're running BT's LLU.

BT is a wholesaler of LLU services to Vodafone. So Vodafone don't really do LLU they just buy in the services from BT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Condi wrote: »

Eircom used to do this up to around a year ago and indeed I had the 8MB/800k business package and got set to the 8MB profile even though my line only prequels at 2MBit yet the router always managed a stable 5MBit/800k connection.

However this year things are different and after a recent move to Vodafone and thus a package change the line is now limited to the prequel value of 2MBit and no way for them to override that in Eircom Wholesales systems or so they claim anyway.

bealtine wrote: »
    BT is a wholesaler of LLU services to Vodafone. So Vodafone don't really do LLU they just buy in the services from BT

Pretty much. Yeah, I suppose it could be worded that way too.
    Condi wrote: »

Depends on the supplier. If it's eircom, yes. If it's resold Eircom, probably not. If it's LLU, it depends on the supplier. BT can't.
    bkehoe wrote: »
    Eircom used to do this up to around a year ago and indeed I had the 8MB/800k business package and got set to the 8MB profile even though my line only prequels at 2MBit yet the router always managed a stable 5MBit/800k connection.

However this year things are different and after a recent move to Vodafone and thus a package change the line is now limited to the prequel value of 2MBit and no way for them to override that in Eircom Wholesales systems or so they claim anyway.

Eircom aren't particularly efficient in updating Prequals. Eircom can force connections, but all the unlucky people on resold bitstream products can't get higher than what the prequal states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Thanks for the responses.

Without going into debates on is/is not LLU exchange it thing its ruccish a customer paying for up to 8Mb that the wholesaler caps a line at 2Mb.
    This therefore has nothing to do with Vodafone! so how can they advertise up to when Eircom limit the line.

Customers dont care about this 'can they/cant they' on the wholesaler side.
    This is to do with the customer signing up to e.g. Vodafone to get 'Up to' yet Vodafone have no control over their supplier when clearly a human intervention on line stat analysis would indicate both on loopback tests and on visual confirmation of attenuation / SNR readings would indicate that the line may be able to accept a 3Mb sync rate.

It really is depressing :( Its super stable never sropped Vodafone Darren has been very helpful its just disheartening to think that the company I signed the contract with has no control as a result of odd contract agreements signed by Eircom and Vodafone.

Im not the only one it seems.

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Thanks for the responses.

Without going into debates on is/is not LLU exchange it thing its ruccish a customer paying for up to 8Mb that the wholesaler caps a line at 2Mb.
    This therefore has nothing to do with Vodafone! so how can they advertise up to when Eircom limit the line.

Customers dont care about this 'can they/cant they' on the wholesaler side.
    This is to do with the customer signing up to e.g. Vodafone to get 'Up to' yet Vodafone have no control over their supplier when clearly a human intervention on line stat analysis would indicate both on loopback tests and on visual confirmation of attenuation / SNR readings would indicate that the line may be able to accept a 3Mb sync rate.

It really is depressing :( Its super stable never sropped Vodafone Darren has been very helpful its just disheartening to think that the company I signed the contract with has no control as a result of odd contract agreements signed by Eircom and Vodafone.

Im not the only one it seems.

Nick

Hey there

Where do you live?

What are your attainable rates?

I forgot to say, maximum sync rates have nothing to do with contracts but more with line limitations (physical limitations that is)

If you are on an up to 8 mb profile and you are getting 2 mb Vodafone should be able to increase your speed if your line can handle it.

I am thinking that the problem is that your line might not be able to handle anything over 2 mb. If you post your line stats that'd be great.

• Advertisement

What are your line stats?

If you can tell us what exchange your on, we can try figure out whether you're actually on an Eircom connection, or an LLU one, as the situation may be different between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Bohrio wrote: »
    Hey there

Where do you live?

What are your attainable rates?

I forgot to say, maximum sync rates have nothing to do with contracts but more with line limitations (physical limitations that is)

If you are on an up to 8 mb profile and you are getting 2 mb Vodafone should be able to increase your speed if your line can handle it.

I am thinking that the problem is that your line might not be able to handle anything over 2 mb. If you post your line stats that'd be great.
    This has come up before. In the case of bkehoe, his line was able to handle 5 mbps despite officially being given a prequal of 2 mbps. But in recent years the "provider" AKA eircom wholesale have strictly enforced the line prequalification rather than setting them to the level the customer wants or what actually works in real life.

Vodafone have told me that the attainable rates on my family's like is around 3 mbps but eircom wholesale's systems (unified gateway or whatever it's called) will not allow over 1 mbit/s. It's disgraceful to be honest, this thread is a great example of the stupid enactment of these prequal limits: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056229043

Time and time again, people are told that they line is limited to 1 or 2 mbps because it "cannot handle any more" even though it worked fine at higher speeds in the past! If customers do have disconnection problems at higher speeds, there's nothing stopping the prequal limit being enforced again. BT's Max ADSL seems to work fine: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm

This has come up before. In the case of bkehoe, his line was able to handle 5 mbps despite officially being given a prequal of 2 mbps. But in recent years the "provider" AKA eircom wholesale have strictly enforced the line prequalification rather than setting them to the level the customer wants or what actually works in real life.

Vodafone have told me that the attainable rates on my family's like is around 3 mbps but eircom wholesale's systems (unified gateway or whatever it's called) will not allow over 1 mbit/s. It's disgraceful to be honest, this thread is a great example of the stupid enactment of these prequal limits: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056229043

Time and time again, people are told that they line is limited to 1 or 2 mbps because it "cannot handle any more" even though it worked fine at higher speeds in the past! If customers do have disconnection problems at higher speeds, there's nothing stopping the prequal limit being enforced again. BT's Max ADSL seems to work fine: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm

Hi TBC

If he is on an Eircom wholesale product you are 100% right.

However if he is on a BT wholesale product the behaviour is different as BT bases their prequal on the CPE's attainable rate and the profile ceiling will be very close to the attainable. Unless his attainables are below 3 mb I dont see why he shouldnt be able to get 3 mb...

But of course we will need to know his location and his line stats before making such assumptions!! :)

Hi Guys thanks Im on the Ballyvary exchange in Mayo.

The Noise margin never changes down by more than 1.5 point e.g. I havent noticed it ever below 11.5 at any time and Ive checked.

Supplied Vodafone HG556a
    ==================

ModulationType: G.DMT

Upstream Downstream
    CurrRate(kbps) 256 2048
    MaxRate(kbps) 1168 5408
    NoiseMargin(dB) 17.0 13.0
    Attenuation(dB) 57.0 29.5
    Power(dBm) 0.1 8.8

Hi TBC

If he is on an Eircom wholesale product you are 100% right.

However if he is on a BT wholesale product the behaviour is different as BT bases their prequal on the CPE's attainable rate and the profile ceiling will be very close to the attainable. Unless his attainables are below 3 mb I dont see why he shouldnt be able to get 3 mb...

But of course we will need to know his location and his line stats before making such assumptions!! :)
    It's possible the line is connecting at exactly 2 mbps and the line would disconnect if the sync rate were negotiated at even slightly but these sorts of posts usually are about lines which have a signal margin of maybe 10dB and can handle a bit more speed but are limited anyway. I could be wrong of course, we shall see:)

If someone is on a BT wholesale exchange, can they get their product transferred over to their LLU systems from eircom wholesale equipment? Or will lines not be transferred over if they are in the long line length/amber line category? From what I see, it's only lines at 2 mb or above that were put onto BT wholesale ADSL2, like with Vodafone etc.

The Noise margin never changes down by more than 1.5 point e.g. I havent noticed it ever below 11.5 at any time and Ive checked.

Supplied Vodafone HG556a
    ==================

Upstream Downstream
    CurrRate(kbps) 256 2048
    MaxRate(kbps) 1168 5408
    Power(dBm) 0.1 8.8

Please remember Im not trying to gain 1Mb on a 20Mb package its 1Mb extra on 2Mb!! ;)
    The sync is capped no matter the Noise margin.

If someone is on a BT wholesale exchange, can they get their product transferred over to their LLU systems from eircom wholesale equipment? Or will lines not be transferred over if they are in the long line length/amber line category? From what I see, it's only lines at 2 mb or above that were put onto BT wholesale ADSL2, like with Vodafone etc.

Depending on the number of available ports at the exchange, an LLU provider would migrate the line by default, with priority towards customers who have higher speed connections.

Supplied Vodafone HG556a
    ==================

Upstream Downstream
    CurrRate(kbps) 256 2048
    MaxRate(kbps) 1168 5408
    Power(dBm) 0.1 8.8

Please remember Im not trying to gain 1Mb on a 20Mb package its 1Mb extra on 2Mb!! ;)
    The sync is capped no matter the Noise margin.

You are on an Eircom Wholesale exchange. I am afraid you are limited to whatever Eircoms prequal is... :( You should be able to get 3 mb though but as TBC already said if your prequal is 2 mb Vodafone can't increase it I am afraid...

Yes they can depending on availabilty of course.

A pretransfer order followed by a Provide Line Sharing over Bitstream order needs to be placed.

If the line is an amber line BT will not take over the line, or lets say should not. Only green lines are allowed to migrate.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭naughto

hi fellas is there any reason why i am geting disconnects with these stats and is there any way to up my speed iam on 5mbs would like a bit more.

Upsteam Downstream
    CurrRate(kbps) 512 5120
    MaxRate(kbps) 1296 8480
    NoiseMargin(dB) 24.0 16.4
    Attenuation(dB) 44.0 26.0
    Power(dBm) 12.2 19.8

• Advertisement

Yes they can depending on availabilty of course.

A pretransfer order followed by a Provide Line Sharing over Bitstream order needs to be placed.

If the line is an amber line BT will not take over the line, or lets say should not. Only green lines are allowed to migrate.

:)
    Is there any way BT would simply take my hard-earned currency to just transfer an amber line over anyway and leave the line speed unrestricted by prequals?! Eircom wholesale have proved a very hard nut to crack by various reports.

Is there any way BT would simply take my hard-earned currency to just transfer an amber line over anyway and leave the line speed unrestricted by prequals?! Eircom wholesale have proved a very hard nut to crack by various reports.

You mean your line????

Its an automated process so if the order goes through the normal process it will be rejected.

There are always ways around of course but most of the times is not worth it. Unless your line is not really a NSD line but Eircom keep labeling it as NSD :S

You mean your line????

Its an automated process so if the order goes through the normal process it will be rejected.

There are always ways around of course but most of the times is not worth it. Unless your line is not really a NSD line but Eircom keep labeling it as NSD :S

Ok I know how to telnet into my router and pass in a few -snr commands but what were you guys talking about? :D

In fairness Darren looked into it and told me he couldnt get the cap changed.
    Whats this about orders etc .

You mean your line????

The line in question is classed as an NSD line alright but only narrowly so. Or at least narrowly over the attenuation that forces a limit of 1024 kbps. Now the modem's line stats beg to differ with a signal margin that never drops below 14-15 dB and a max attainable rate towards 3 mbps but eircom wholesale won't budge. I was half tempted to simply cut the pair at the DP down the road for a month when it wasn't used in the house. Then get the line reclassified and the limit increased!

The line in question is classed as an NSD line alright but only narrowly so. Or at least narrowly over the attenuation that forces a limit of 1024 kbps. Now the modem's line stats beg to differ with a signal margin that never drops below 14-15 dB and a max attainable rate towards 3 mbps but eircom wholesale won't budge. I was half tempted to simply cut the pair at the DP down the road for a month when it wasn't used in the house. Then get the line reclassified and the limit increased!

And you are an eircom retail customer?

moving you to an LLU2 exchange could be an improvement but on the other hand, you could end up even worse (its thats possible). If it goes through your line will not be capped with a prequal like Eircom you will be able to get as much as your router attainable rates...

Sucks having a NSD line. Your plan is not so crazy believe me. Once you are on a green line you should be fine. however I have seen 3 mb NSD lines too...

And you are an eircom retail customer?

moving you to an LLU2 exchange could be an improvement but on the other hand, you could end up even worse (its thats possible). If it goes through your line will not be capped with a prequal like Eircom you will be able to get as much as your router attainable rates...

Sucks having a NSD line. Your plan is not so crazy believe me. Once you are on a green line you should be fine. however I have seen 3 mb NSD lines too...
    3mb NSD wouldn't be so bad, my only objective is to increase the maximum allowed sync rate to even 2 mbps as the modem statistics and the test performed by Vodafone suggest that 3 mbps would be possible. Going from 1 to 2 is a doubling in speed even if the numbers mean little to those who get UPC or ADSL2+ etc.

Is there a way to convince Vodafone/BT wholesale to accept an order on an NSD line?? (Sorry, I know that's not relevant for the OP)

3mb NSD wouldn't be so bad, my only objective is to increase the maximum allowed sync rate to even 2 mbps as the modem statistics and the test performed by Vodafone suggest that 3 mbps would be possible. Going from 1 to 2 is a doubling in speed even if the numbers mean little to those who get UPC or ADSL2+ etc.

Is there a way to convince Vodafone/BT wholesale to accept an order on an NSD line?? (Sorry, I know that's not relevant for the OP)

Your in Drogheda If i remember correctly, arent you?

If you are on a LLU exchange vodafone have little to say as I dont think their systems care whether your line is NSD or not is up to BT to reject it, so you need someone in BT, but it might not be possible either.

This is for new provides, transfer should all go through just fine

Advertisement