Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bed Time

Options
  • 04-10-2011 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

What time does your child go to bed? And what age are they?

My son is doing my head in about bed time. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Justask wrote: »
    What time does your child go to bed? And what age are they?

My son is doing my head in about bed time. :rolleyes:
    8 years and on school nights about 8ish but they read in bed for a while then. Saturdays after x factor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

3.5 years and 7.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Age 9 and 8.30 - 9pm on a school nite - later on weekends. However, he doesn't sleep until I've gone up to bed after him...which is a WHOLE other thread;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

My 2-yr old & (almost) 5-year old go to bed between 6:45-7:15 every night.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

2 1/2 goes to bed about 9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Our little fella is nearly 2, his aunty picks him up from the creche as they close at 6 and I don't get home until 6:30-6:45ish, my partner gets home at around 7:30ish, so by the time I pick him up, get in and changed, its normally after 7, put on dinner, sit down play with him for an hour or so while dinner is cooking, have dinner finish about 8:30-9 ish, get him into his pjs and get ready for bed, normally asleep by 9:30-10ish...

It kills me he is up so late, I know he should be in bed much earlier, but with both of us having to work, not much we can do about it, I think spending some time with him in the evening is more important at this stage....

stephen_k wrote: »
    Our little fella is nearly 2, his aunty picks him up from the creche as they close at 6 and I don't get home until 6:30-6:45ish, my partner gets home at around 7:30ish, so by the time I pick him up, get in and changed, its normally after 7, put on dinner, sit down play with him for an hour or so while dinner is cooking, have dinner finish about 8:30-9 ish, get him into his pjs and get ready for bed, normally asleep by 9:30-10ish... .

Even I am exhausted just reading your first paragraph:(

I think with the best will in the world, we all do our best to get our kids to bed at a reasonable hour, sometimes life just gets in the way though! Your lad is a teenager right OP? Whats his argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

The 11 year old goes to bed between 8:30 and 9:30 on school nights, depending on how tired she is and at the weekends it's 10pm.

The 13 year old goes to bed between 9 and 9:30 reading until 10ish on a school night and at the weekends it's 10:00 to 11 depending on what is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Its was alot easier for me when he was younger :rolleyes:

He will go to bed around 10.30 but could still be awake at 12 :eek: Im such a light sleeper and if he is moving around im awake.

But he doesnt seem tired. I am though :( Just seems like very little sleep to me. Hes 14

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

my little man is nearly 2. Most evenings he's in bed at 7.30. Sometimes it's earlier, especially if he hasn't had an adequate day time nap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

2 and a half year old. 7.30-8. But moving it to 8.30 at the moment to make him ready for the changing of the clocks at the end of the month!

He has a 1-2 hour nap at 12-1pm, and is up at 6-6.30.

I hate that he is up at that hour, but it the only way his dad gets to see him, because he isn't always home before the little fella goes to sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

He will go to bed around 10.30 but could still be awake at 12 :eek: Im such a light sleeper and if he is moving around im awake.

But he doesnt seem tired. I am though :( Just seems like very little sleep to me. Hes 14

What time does he get up at?

One of mine is a early riser and is up by 7:30 the other rolls out of bed at 8:15
    and leaves the house 30 mins later.

Sharrow wrote: »
    What time does he get up at?

One of mine is a early riser and is up by 7:30 the other rolls out of bed at 8:15
    and leaves the house 30 mins later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Aged 9, 12, 14 and 17..............All head to bed anytime between 10.30 and 11.30pm on weeknights.

All late birds like their mum (me) who seem to never have needed sleep and all are top of their classes:)

Funny thing is that their Dad is always in bed before any of us:D

Haha, my 12 year old is laughing as I type the bit about her Dad and commented that "yeah, (laugh), he's always in bed"!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

5YO , in bed by 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

3 year old girl goes to bed between 7 and 7:30, sometimes 8 at the weekend if we're out.

6 year old boy goes to bed between 7:30 and 8, can be up to 9 at the weekend if we're out / having a "movie night" because he's been good etc. I reckon it'd usually be 9 before he's actually asleep though, gets out of bed every ten feckin' minutes!

Sleepy wrote: »
    I reckon it'd usually be 9 before he's actually asleep though, gets out of bed every ten feckin' minutes!

As a matter of interest, for those of you with older kids, when does this stop??? My 9yr old still does that gettin out of bed, shouting down the stairs...'I NEED water'....I NEED a cuddle'....what age are they when they actually WANT to go to bed just to chill out??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

3 year old - 7 -7.30.
    5 year old - 7.30 - 8, lets us know at weekend's when he wants to go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Wow...times have changed. By age 11, I was staying up until 11pm. By age 14 this was changed to midnight.

Though I've always required very little sleep...and I didn't exactly have strict parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyeyes

6 year old and nearly 2 year old in bed every night by 7:30pm. On Saturday nights, we let our 6 year old stay up to watch x factor:D....

They both get up at 6:30am on week mornings and between 7am and 7:30am on weekends!!

• Advertisement

Fittle wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, for those of you with older kids, when does this stop??? My 9yr old still does that gettin out of bed, shouting down the stairs...'I NEED water'....I NEED a cuddle'....what age are they when they actually WANT to go to bed just to chill out??

It doesn't end by 14 anyway :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My lad doesn't have a set bed time. He never has had. Generally between 8 and half but often if he hasn't napped well he'll be in bed by 7.15. Other times we'll all be having fun playing and not realise that it's almost 9. He'll sleep til 9am fairly consistently though, unless the dreaded teeth are acting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

All in bed by 8.30pm.. 12, 9, and 21months.. youngest is out for the count in about 5 mins (when he's not teething) the other 2 can read til 9. . but the eldest loves going up to bed and sometimes by 8 she's off just to read and listen to her stereo.. thank god :D They're up at 7am but the youngest sometimes won't wake til between 8 and 8.30 ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

4 and 6 year old in bed between 8.30 and 9.15 asleep by 10 weekdays 11 weekends up at 8 everyday, 12 year old in bed by 9.30 weekdays asleep by 10.30. Weekends she can be up to 11 or 12 depending up at 9 as she has to have insulin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

9 and 7 year olds, upthe stairs between 8/ 8.30 and asleep by 9pm at the latest on school nights. At weekends it could be 10pm by which time they can't keep their eyes open:D. The youngest is up at 7ish and the oldest will sleep a bit longer, sometimes up to 8am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

My 8.5 year old goes to bed at 8pm and reads for half an hour. We're up at 7am.
    She's very good really. Once she goes up to bed, that's it. I don't hear from her again until morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

My oldest who is the same age is just the same, its a head wrecker especially when he can be so hard to get out of bed in the morning.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/15185.php this article goes someway towards explaining why childrens sleep patterns goes bananas when they hit teens. We always have had a good bedtime routine for our children and enjoyed the couple of hours peace in the evening, its something I miss!!

Advertisement