Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Christmas Lights

Options
  • 04-10-2011 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Just read in the Wicklow Times,we will have no lovely lights this year.Simply no money.What a terrible shame,Greystones is beautiful with the lights,is there anything we can possibly do??Am sure pixbyjohn will have a photo.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Does any know how much it costs?
    Surely Greystones has the lights already so not cost there.

If we had known earlier maybe fund raising could have been done!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

The Chamber of Commerce own the lights and there was a shortfall of several thousand euro in covering last year's costs, according to the article.

The article mentioned the cost of putting them up at somewhere around 6000 and in the past I've seen mention of the total cost (including electricity usage) at around 20,000. Greystones Town Council has no money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gav25

what a downer at christmas not having lights. ruins the spirit of the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

I am really in disbelief at this and I have to stop myself going off on a rant about it. Greystones looks stunning every Christmas with the lights up along the Main Street and to just issue a story saying there will be no lights is just unbelievable. Okay, they have no money but have they even tried fundraising. If they have, I certainly haven't seen anything. What's the population of Greystones now? 15,000? Surely with a combined people/business collection, the money could be raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Did this not happen before (if not in Greystones, then maybe in Bray?). Methinks it could be a ploy to get the local businesses to foot some (or all) of the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

I was under the impression that local businesses did foot the bill. I thought I read that somewhere, must have been mistaken. It would be a complete shame because the town looks so well with the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

eigrod wrote: »
    Did this not happen before (if not in Greystones, then maybe in Bray?). Methinks it could be a ploy to get the local businesses to foot some (or all) of the bill.

It happened before in Bray - The local businesses always pay in Bray but about 2/3 years ago some businesses refused to pay so the Bray Chamber of Commerce threatened to cancel them

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Sorry folks,just saw a statement on Greystones news that Ciaran Hayden is going to do something about the lights,thank God!!he will approach the traders and ask for 50 euro each,so hopefully that will be a start of it.Let there be light :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

The article mentioned the cost of putting them up at somewhere around 6000 and in the past I've seen mention of the total cost (including electricity usage) at around 20,000. Greystones Town Council has no money.

Surely those number must be some kind of Joke or else somebody is getting a fairly nice Christmas bonus. Those lights could be stuck up in two days with 2-3 men and a cherry picker. 6 Grand!?!?!?!?!?
    I must be in the wrong line of business.

As for the remaining 14 thousand for electricity usage? Surely the lights have been upgraded to LED's at some point with which the power usage would be a nominal couple of hundred Euro's at most. Even old LED's were 90% more efficient than incandescent bulbs of similar luminosity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

The six grand in the article was for "the electricians". Maybe it entails more than just installing the lights.

THe 20K figure I admit is something I remember being cited several years ago by Kathleen Kelleher. It could even go back to the days of big coloured lights. Also, my memory could be wrong.

I see Ciaran Hayden mentions costs in his recent press release, saying it was 8500 last year, including a big screen at Burnaby Park, and that they could do a "basic package" of Church Road only for 5000 total. He doesn't say if this is the total cost or the just the installation. Either way, it's not completely consistent with what was in the Wicklow Times article.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Speaking of Christmas lights, when are they usually turned on? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

It was in November in the lashing rain last year if my memory serves me.....Also the big screen was donated I think....and it only worked intermittantly anyway so probably isn't required. The best switching on of lights in recent years I think was about 5/6 years ago when they did it in the Meridian. A small stage that was easy to see, sheltered....perfect spot. Never understood why they moved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Just a thought, but couldn't the council use some of the funds that had been allocated to Simon Harris' salary as a local representative for the christmas lights...now that he's drawing a TDs salary instead........ if the money had been earmarked to pay him for the year, then it should still be in the coffers.
    Now that he's gone from the local council, surely the cash is there...or have they put it aside for a junket to New York or Shanghai for Paddys Day next year?:rolleyes:

Just a thought, but couldn't the council use some of the funds that had been allocated to Simon Harris' salary as a local representative for the christmas lights...now that he's drawing a TDs salary instead........ if the money had been earmarked to pay him for the year, then it should still be in the coffers.
    Now that he's gone from the local council, surely the cash is there...or have they put it aside for a junket to New York or Shanghai for Paddys Day next year?:rolleyes:

There was another person co opted onto the council instead of him so presumably she is getting a salary so there is no saving by Mr. Harris leaving to take up his TD's position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Local Councillors don't draw a salary.

Local Councillors don't draw a salary.

I think you are wrong.
    "Councillors only started to receive a formal salary, known as a representative payment, in 2002. It now stands at around €16,600 and is taxable.

Added to this, councillors receive a tax-free annual allowance, a tax-free conference budget, and additional tax-free allowances for committee chairpersons.

Allowances for mayors or chairpersons of councils are taxed on a modified level, with up to €10,000 being tax-free.

Councillors also receive payments if they are nominated to outside bodies, such as regional authorities, regional assemblies, regional health forums, fisheries boards, third-level colleges and VECs. Some payments from colleges and VECs are taxable, depending on the type of work the councillor does for the body.

The Irish Independent investigation comes as Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government John Gormley considers plans to increase remuneration for councillors, while at the same time clamping down on erroneous expenses claims."

My source>
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/revealed-councillor-pay-surge-hits-836483m-1441998.html

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Simon Harris was replaced by Grainne Mcloughlin

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

...replaced by Grainne Mcloughlin

Pics or GTFO :D

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement