Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter sun holiday with toddler

Options
  • 04-10-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi can anyone recommend somewhere to go for a winter sun holiday with a toddler, somewhere thats family friendly and that the flight isnt too long... any recommendations would be great :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We went to Lanzarotte last year and it was lovely for the then 1 1/2 year old. They love kids there:)
    Facilities wise France is the best place that I have ever brought her,everywhere is equipped for babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jeeney

Moonbeam wrote: »
    We went to Lanzarotte last year and it was lovely for the then 1 1/2 year old. They love kids there:)
    Facilities wise France is the best place that I have ever brought her,everywhere is equipped for babies.

Moonbeam,

I know you posted the above some time ago, but I am very interested to know how your holiday went in Lanzaraote with an 18 mth old last year. We are interested in going there but I'm very put off by the 4 hour flight with a 19 mth old who has never been on a plane before...! Is there plenty of things to do out there with a 19mth old?

I'm thinkin perhaps a shorter plane trip would be better but haven't a clue where to look. What areas of France did you go to and any recommendations there? We really want somewhere where we can all enjoy a holiday and at the same time have plenty of activity for a toddler!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

jeeney wrote: »
    Moonbeam wrote: »

Moonbeam,

I know you posted the above some time ago, but I am very interested to know how your holiday went in Lanzaraote with an 18 mth old last year. We are interested in going there but I'm very put off by the 4 hour flight with a 19 mth old who has never been on a plane before...! Is there plenty of things to do out there with a 19mth old?

I'm thinkin perhaps a shorter plane trip would be better but haven't a clue where to look. What areas of France did you go to and any recommendations there? We really want somewhere where we can all enjoy a holiday and at the same time have plenty of activity for a toddler!

Thanks!

I've brought my nearly 2yr old to grab canaria twice in last 8 months. Last time was in jan was lovely, the flight can be tough but just walk them around airport too tired them, they have play area in terminal 2 at food hall. Bring portable DVD with fav cartoons, colours n colouring book, little books, small bits of food like raisons, crisps basically anything they like that's small, rotate them every few minutes, hopefully they sleep but it's only a few hours and it's so worth it for the sun! Try buy ur summer clothes in the sales as impossible to get in winter! Also in nighttime just have warm pj and blanket for out walking might need a coat! Then when u get home if they've gone asleep u can put them straight into cot!

bulmersgal wrote: »
    I've brought my nearly 2yr old to grab canaria twice in last 8 months. Last time was in jan was lovely, the flight can be tough but just walk them around airport too tired them, they have play area in terminal 2 at food hall. Bring portable DVD with fav cartoons, colours n colouring book, little books, small bits of food like raisons, crisps basically anything they like that's small, rotate them every few minutes, hopefully they sleep but it's only a few hours and it's so worth it for the sun! Try buy ur summer clothes in the sales as impossible to get in winter! Also in nighttime just have warm pj and blanket for out walking might need a coat! Then when u get home if they've gone asleep u can put them straight into cot!

Bulmersgal,
    Thanks v much for ur reply. Much appreciated and great tips about the flight. Good idea to wear them out before getting on the plane too! We actually hope to go in May time, as wont be as hot as it might be later in the summer. I've heard good things about Lanzarote so far, so we might rethink again..!

Did you bring many toys with you for your child or are u better off just picking up few bits out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The thoughts of going abroad with a toddler makes me cry - it really does.

My wife loves travel and the sun, so this will probably have to happen in the next few years though.

I just don't get it, I'd prefer a handy Irish break than a foreign one.

Good luck with it OP.

• Advertisement

Yes, I do agree with you Kippy! I am still weighing up the pros and cons of a sun holiday as opposed to one in Ireland. Don't you just long for some sun though! Last year we holidayed here and the weather was only ok... Don't know if I want to chance a week of wet/cold weather here again..!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yes, I do agree with you Kippy! I am still weighing up the pros and cons of a sun holiday as opposed to one in Ireland. Don't you just long for some sun though! Last year we holidayed here and the weather was only ok... Don't know if I want to chance a week of wet/cold weather here again..!
    Personally, no, I'm not a sun addict.
    I'd enjoy any break from the usual but the weather isn't a factor.

We went to trabolgan last may wit her and it was good for break but I spend more time outdoors when it's sunny. If you get a good beach it's great they can run in and out of water, play with sand etc. I enjoy weekend breaks in Ireland but any longer and I like the good weather.

I didn't bring to much a little Peppa pig magazine, few small bits I knew she liked! I bought small ball and bucket and spade there.

I have to say you won't get much chance to lounge on sun beds at pool, I found it too hard as pool so deep so have to be on constant guard with toddler whereas at beach it's more relaxing as they won't fall into 4 feet of water instantly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We were in Tenerife last month with our 13 month old son. I was dreading the Ryanair!! flights from the moment we booked them. On the way over we flew at 6am so had to wake the little lad at 3.30 which was cruel. As you'd expect he got so overtired on the flight that he fought the sleep and had a meltdown. It took me a while to calm him down but eventually I strapped him to me, facing me and kept getting him to lie against my chest.

We bought new toys for the flights and loads of snacks and food. I also brought books. He's got no interest in tv so we didn't bother with dvds.

We had a great week. He slept so well so we were all well rested and we spent the days just strolling around. I used to put him down for his nap at 11ish and then give him his lunch so we missed the hottest part of the day.

On the way back I was a bit wiser so I did like bulmersgal and let him crawl around the waiting lounge so by the time we were on the plane he was ready for a sleep. I strapped him to me again and kept asking him to lie against my chest for a sleepy until he finally did and he slept for an hour and a half by which time half the flight was over.

All in all it was a lovely first family holiday. You definitely have to tailor your expectations which in our case meant eating in every night as our son goes to bed at 7pm regardless.

Having done it ourselves I'd definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Went to america with my 22 month old first a 6 hour flight a 2 hour wait and another 4 hour flight, it was 24 hours of travel and we got on ok. they have films for the kids to watch on the plane and they sleep.

• Advertisement

All in all it was a lovely first family holiday. You definitely have to tailor your expectations which in our case meant eating in every night as our son goes to bed at 7pm regardless.

Having done it ourselves I'd definitely recommend it.

Haha I was terrible, I didn't put her to bed that early she normally would but we always went for dinner at half 6ish then put for stroll afterwards! That was when we had half board.

In August we were self catering so I use to cook her pasta at half 6 then wash her and then go for stroll! That suited us as she enjoyed listening to the music and dancing! Never forgot the time she met another toddler and two of them dancing to Spanish music. God I want to book my holiday now lol

Also we flew with Aerlingus was great they assign you seats and let children on plane too, the flight times also suited us better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

bulmersgal I think we created a sleeping monster because now we HAVE to put him to bed at 7 or he goes crazy. He loves going to bed! It's great 50 weeks of the year but it means we can't go out in the evenings on our holidays. That was what we missed most but then the lie-on until 8.30am compensated :)

bulmersgal I think we created a sleeping monster because now we HAVE to put him to bed at 7 or he goes crazy. He loves going to bed! It's great 50 weeks of the year but it means we can't go out in the evenings on our holidays. That was what we missed most but then the lie-on until 8.30am compensated :)

God I'm lucky she goes to bed at half 7 no problems will stay up later if she gets away with it but I usually put her up as I need to study, will sleep on at weekends most times till half 9 but she not great at napping for me will in crèche though! I'm very lucky with her sleeping she just goes with the flow

Thanks guys for all the tips. It definitely helps in making our decision to go abroad or not. I'm expecting No 2 at mo, so just think this is our one chance to go as we prob won't be going again for the next few years!

How strange - thanks for info on Ryanair flights! We'd have to book with Ryanair too if we're going to Lanzarote and I dread the very thought of doing it! It's a pity Aer Lingus don't go from Shannon or Knock. (I'm not interested in going from Dub!) I'm prepared for a tough flight and all the little tips def help! Cheers

Advertisement