Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb Shanks

Options
  • 04-10-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Does anyone know how much lamb shanks are in the butchers? I know they can be expensive to order in a restaurant but is it expensive to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

i usualy buy thm in the butchers for the dogs , not sure about anywere else buit i pay most 1.50 for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

For a supposedly 'cheap' cut, they're fairly pricey. Between 6 and 7 euro for pre cooked pack of two in a gravy in Lidl. You won't get much cheaper than that in the butcher and you'll still have to add the ingredients and cook for a couple of hours in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Well, I was thinking of buying one in the butchers and cooking it myself, just curious as to how much they are. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

They're around €1.50 - €2 each in my local butchers. Lovely meat - bit gelatinous, but that's not a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 chubnut

Good to see the Irish inquiring about something other than Bacon & Cabbage :D
    Make sure you get the butcher to saw each shank vertically down the bone, that not only gives 4 portions but releases the marrow from the bone while cooking. :eek: the only way to cook shanks is in a slow oven gas mark 3 for minimum 4 hours loosely wrapped in silver foil. :p

Marinade the shanks prior to cooking preferably overnight in a base of olive oil, roughly chopped garlic, dried oregono, salt and cracked pepper. Of course any marinade of your choice can be administered and served with roasted whole peppers and potatoes. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

The price is very dependent on the amount of meat on each shank.
    Some butchers cut a shank of only 4 or 5 inches and sell them cheap.

Some butchers make a much bigger shank that is almost half a leg.
    ( I know this is incorrect, but you do see some butchers do this).

It means that it is hard to compare prices unless you see what
    you are getting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I pay €2-€2.50 each for them in the butchers.

Its supposed to be a cheap cut, it's mostly bone with some very tasty meat that has been hacked off the leg of a young sheep.

Wagu beef it is not!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

chubnut wrote: »
    Smart assed comments like that won't make you any friends here. Just a bit of a 'head's-up' - ok.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Thanks for the advice chubnut will try your recipe this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭anigheh

been talking about buying some for quite a while..... thats it im getting some tomorrow!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

Shanks from most butchers should be fairly cheep...around 2-4 euro depending on size. Wouldn't recommend having the butcher slice vertically as the meat distribution will be uneven. Also, if you've got a healthy appetite, one whole shank is the perfect portion.

So, just rub with salt and pepper and sear in braising pan. take out and sautee onions carrots and celery until soft. add thyme and or rosemary, and a good many rough chopped cloves of garlic. mix in and then deglaze with red wine. About 1/4-1/2 bottle. add shanks back in, and add enough stock (beef is fine) to cover meat. put lid on and roast in oven (150ish) for a 2-3 hours till meat is falling off the bone... (you can take the extra step at this point of straining braising liquid and reducing until it's a jus consistency. serve on mash with green beans and a healthy glass of red....food of the Gods my friend!

chubnut wrote: »
    Make sure you get the butcher to saw each shank vertically down the bone, that not only gives 4 portions but releases the marrow from the bone while cooking. :eek: the only way to cook shanks is in a slow oven gas mark 3 for minimum 4 hours loosely wrapped in silver foil. :p

Marinade the shanks prior to cooking preferably overnight in a base of olive oil, roughly chopped garlic, dried oregono, salt and cracked pepper. Of course any marinade of your choice can be administered and served with roasted whole peppers and potatoes. :pac:

Mmm, that sounds lovely, the OP mentioned about the gelatinous bit, that kinda put me off the whole idea, that's prob the same as the marrow coming off during the cooking is it??

Thanks to all for feedback on prices and recipes too.

Advertisement