Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberries

Options
  • 04-10-2011 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Hi - I took about 20 honeoye runners from plants during the summer. They are in 2 litre pots of garden compost now and doing great. But the roots are starting to push through the bottoms already. So what to do next?
    I am preparing raised beds at the moment and have manure and garden compost to add. But the manure and compost is not incorporated and the manure probably needs to rot down more. Any advise? Would they be hardy if we have a bad winter? Should they be mulched/covered somehow?
    I want to keep some in pots for earlies in the polytunnel too.
    Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭qzy

Stick them in the ground - they'll be fine. Strawberries are very hardy, I have 20+ plants hat survived last winter just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

our strawbs have been out for 3 years in a bed never covered over and they're fine in fact they've just started flowering again and a few new strawbs are growing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

You can leave them in the pots over winter outside too, the plants ain't going to put on too much more root growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks all

Advertisement