Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio & CD player unit for 2004 Toyota Corolla

• 04-10-2011 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone know where I can get a Radio & CD Player Unit for a 2004 Toyota Corolla. The CD player in my unit is broken and I need to replace the whole unit because the radio & cd player is a 'whole unit'. Looks something like this. Anyone know where I could get one. New or second hand?

a20791512ce16c7b45c92a_m.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Keea wrote: »
    Hi,
    Anyone know where I can get a Radio & CD Player Unit for a 2004 Toyota Corolla. The CD player in my unit is broken and I need to replace the whole unit because the radio & cd player is a 'whole unit'. Looks something like this. Anyone know where I could get one. New or second hand?

a20791512ce16c7b45c92a_m.jpg

My uncle picked up from eBay for a 05 avensis. €55 including p&p and as it was the exact same model he was able to fit it himself. That was over a year ago and it's still going fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Keea

Thanks, I'll try there.
    Anyone else have any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

Wherever you get it, just make sure to get the keycode for it, otherwise you'll end up having a battle with toyota dealers to try and obtain the code from them. They'll be going on about "can you prove you own it" and such rubbish.
    (TBH its just them trying to get you to shell out €€€ for a new one rather than any concern about its provenance)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Another alternative is to get a unit that adapts the current stereo aperture (it may be 'double din' size but I'm not sure) to allow you fit a standard after-market stereo.

e.g. http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects-ct24ty04-toyota-corolla-stereo-fascia-surround-panel-p-10146.html

Advantage is that you can buy a decent, cheap radio with lots of extras (e.g. bluetooth, sd card/usb readers, front input jack) that will now easily fit the car.

Disadvantage is you'll probably lose some functionality as the trip computer is wired through the stereo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

rayc wrote: »
    Another alternative is to get a unit that adapts the current stereo aperture (it may be 'double din' size but I'm not sure) to allow you fit a standard after-market stereo.

e.g. http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects-ct24ty04-toyota-corolla-stereo-fascia-surround-panel-p-10146.html

Advantage is that you can buy a decent, cheap radio with lots of extras (e.g. bluetooth, sd card/usb readers, front input jack) that will now easily fit the car.

Disadvantage is you'll probably lose some functionality as the trip computer is wired through the stereo.

Very good advice.

I asked about installing an after-market stereo in my 00 Corolla in the motors forum and got very good, detailed advice. In ever did it in the end as I scrapped it but I'd suggest you ask over there- lots of knowledgable people.

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Very good advice.

I asked about installing an after-market stereo in my 00 Corolla in the motors forum and got very good, detailed advice. In ever did it in the end as I scrapped it but I'd suggest you ask over there- lots of knowledgable people.

Yeah I have a corrolla too and have been tempted to do it myself many times. In the end I fitted an adapter to add a line in jack, which is another option OP if you have an mp3 player. Never use the CD player now.

Only cost around €30-40 I think. There's a button on the stereo for a CD changer, it connects through that. Also has the benefit of playing the phone audio through the radio, effectively making it a car-kit. (saves running down the phone battery using a bluetooth kit)

Just to finish off, here's the specific kit I got:

http://www.connects2.co.uk/c2search.aspx?catID=42&manID=232&modID=596

If it is something you want to consider op I've no problem answering more questions or giving you fitting advice.

Thanks everyone.
    Rayc - I might look into getting the unit that adapts the current stereo aperture. I like the idea of getting a cheaper radio unit with lots of extras. I will look into other option too except I dont have an MP3 player!
    If I ordered that kit online (the one that adapts the current stereo), where would you suggest buying a radio&cd unit? What about halfords. I dont think I'd be any good at fitting it.

Keea wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.
    Rayc - I might look into getting the unit that adapts the current stereo aperture. I like the idea of getting a cheaper radio unit with lots of extras. I will look into other option too except I dont have an MP3 player!
    If I ordered that kit online (the one that adapts the current stereo), where would you suggest buying a radio&cd unit? What about halfords. I dont think I'd be any good at fitting it.

Before ordering any kit I'd suggest doing a bit of research to make doubly sure it's the right one... when it comes to car stereos there's generally so many different connectors/sizes/brackets etc and not a lot of information from the car manufacturers. I'd just email those connects2 guys and tell them straight out what you're looking for and they should point you to the exact kit you need.

As regards the stereo, Halfords seem to have reasonable deals. There are cheap ones every now and again in aldi/lidl which also seem to have lots of extras. Also if your not in a rush there are plenty of online options. After my 'go-tos' of amazon or ebay I'd also have a look at pixmania.

The main issue with fitting will be the adapter kit itself. I'm well aware how to remove the stereo from the corolla (this can actually be trickier than it sounds) but how to fit the adapter I wouldn't be very sure of, as it's dependant on the kit. Again the best thing would be to ask the connects2 people if it comes with fitting instructions. Alternatively, as nkay pointed out, there are forums here and on other sites dedicated to this kinda thing that should be able to help in that department.

Thanks Rayc. You've been very helpful.
    Thanks to everyone else also.

• Advertisement

Just to finish off, here's the specific kit I got:

http://www.connects2.co.uk/c2search....=232&modID=596

If it is something you want to consider op I've no problem answering more questions or giving you fitting advice.

Hi Rayc
    I have just bought an MP3 player through boardsdeals today. I wont have it for couple of weeks but thought it would be handier to keep radio unit in car intact. You said you have connected one to your car. Can you tell me what I need to do now. Buy a kit from the above website? Is it easy to install after that. I dont have a hands free kit either so I like the idea of being able to use my mobile phone through the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭mytime

Derek Duggan in Railway Square repairs car radios. He's a gent to deal with, worth calling down to see what he says. 051 877 088

PM sent to avoid spamming the whole forum :-)

Advertisement