Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just upgraded to UPC 100MB

• 04-10-2011 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi everyone

I had started off using 30MB then went to 50MB and now on to 100MB.

I have generally always got the advertised speed through ethernet.

As I said I have upgraded to the 100mb line hoping that my speeds will continue to perform as good as they always have.

Although I have seen a few threads where people are having speed differentials.

Have the speeds stabilised or are many still experiencing many problems?

Apparently I need another new router, I got a thompson one for the 50mb upgrade. I thought I could have got the 100mb through that router but they say no. What router will they send me now?

Does the router need to be tweaked in any way to get the maximum speeds?
    I have wireless devices (iphones / ipod touches )that punch in around 15-20mb over the wireless. Is that normal or should they be faster on a 50mb connection? Do I need to do some tweaking.

I ask if I need to do any tweaking but while I am quite computer literate, perhaps not so much at the networking and such things end of things, so if you can keep it simple for me regarding any tweaks.

Thanks a million for any help.

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

johnc24 wrote: »
    Apparently I need another new router, I got a thompson one for the 50mb upgrade. I thought I could have got the 100mb through that router but they say no. What router will they send me now?

It's the Thomson modem for 50 and 100Mbps. They may not have realised that you already have that one.
    I have wireless devices (iphones / ipod touches )that punch in around 15-20mb over the wireless. Is that normal or should they be faster on a 50mb connection? Do I need to do some tweaking.

There is no normal with wireless, except that you more than likely will not get anywhere near 50 or 100Mbps on it, even on 802.11n.
    I ask if I need to do any tweaking but while I am quite computer literate, perhaps not so much at the networking and such things end of things, so if you can keep it simple for me regarding any tweaks.

There are no tweaks, and none should be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

jor el wrote: »

There is no normal with wireless, except that you more than likely will not get anywhere near 50 or 100Mbps on it, even on 802.11n.

My ipod only comes in around 10-15 which is better than nothing, but still would be nice if I could squeez some more out of it.

Advertisement