Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashtown dog pound

• 04-10-2011 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

A friend of a friend put a dog in to Ashtown dogpound at the weekend after they found the dog lost on the street. The original owner has not come forward despite there been posters put up around the area. The person who brought the dog to the pound has found a family who want to take the dog but the pound say all they can do is put it in a refuge after 5 days if the owner doesn't come forward. In the refuge it will be cared for or put down according to Ashtown. This is due to the dog being old and because of its breed (its a good breed, a staff bull terrier)

I really don't get this. Sounds like thats not a fair excuse for not allowing a dog to be rehomed.

Any views?

The description of the dog is below:
    STAFF BULL TERRIER FOUND ON THE MORNING OF 02/10/2011 IN ARDMORE/MONTROSE AREA, ARTANE
    COLOUR: DARK BROWN (BRINGLE)
    MALE
    CHIP NUMBER (NOT REGISTERED): 941000002530312
    DOG IS WELL MAINTAINED AND HOUSE TRAINED
    PLEASE CONTACT ASHTOWN DOG POUND IF YOU OWN THIS DOG / KNOW OF ANYBODY MISSING A STAFF DOG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dots1982 wrote: »
    The person who brought the dog to the pound has found a family who want to take the dog but the pound say all they can do is put it in a refuge after 5 days if the owner doesn't come forward. In the refuge it will be cared for or put down according to Ashtown. This is due to the dog being old and because of its breed (its a good breed, a staff bull terrier)
    That is complete and utter nonsense. After five days, anyone can pay to release the dog from the pound, the pound doesn't have to send it to a refuge. Ashtown are usually pretty good, so I don't know what they're at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

seamus wrote: »
    That is complete and utter nonsense. After five days, anyone can pay to release the dog from the pound, the pound doesn't have to send it to a refuge. Ashtown are usually pretty good, so I don't know what they're at.

Thanks, this is what I thought, the person who brought the dog to the pound is going up there this evening I think to talk to the manager. Hopefully this gets things straightened out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Unfortunately because the dog is a restricted breed he/she cannot be homed directly from the pound by a member of the public and must go to a rescue so that an adopter can be home checked and that the dogs chip is registered and dog is neutered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Is this law or just the way the pound chooses to operate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Sorry edited, I was mixing them up with Dunboyne pound. but tbh haven't heard many negatives about Ashtown..
    Rescues are full,to capacity. we ourselves ( & I work with a small rescue )are struggling to help the volume of dogs coming our way ).
    Dogs Trust have a wait list of 900 Dogs waiting for a space with them.

Restricted Breeds exceptionally hard to rehome at the moment & as they are subject to certain laws this makes it even harder. Its not the case of " just making " a couple of calls - the dog crisis in the country is unbelievably serious!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

could the family not organise with a shelter to take the dog on the premise that they will definitly adopt it?

it wouldn't take too much to organise. just a few calls back and forth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

The thing is most shelters/rescues are physically full, as in no run or space for an extra dog. And to be honest the number of times I've heard 'I promise I'll come and adopt him when his 5 days are up' as I'm handed a lead is unbelievable, rarely do they come back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

you could sent someone to claim the dog for you and say he is their dog but fines will have to be payed;) and a licence microchiped so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Are you on facebook?if so go onto A Dogs Life,they are the rescue that deal with Dunboyne and the girls there are brilliant :)

suziwalsh wrote: »
    Unfortunately because the dog is a restricted breed he/she cannot be homed directly from the pound by a member of the public and must go to a rescue so that an adopter can be home checked and that the dogs chip is registered and dog is neutered.
    Where is this coming from? Is this a policy operated by the pound(s) or a local bye-law?

• Advertisement

Where is this coming from? Is this a policy operated by the pound(s) or a local bye-law?

its the law, i think alot of pounds will send a rb surrender to england if they cant find a rescue over here

The thing is most shelters/rescues are physically full, as in no run or space for an extra dog. And to be honest the number of times I've heard 'I promise I'll come and adopt him when his 5 days are up' as I'm handed a lead is unbelievable, rarely do they come back

probably for the best as their not really bothered prob would not end up being a forever home:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

pokertalk wrote: »
    its the law, i think alot of pounds will send a rb surrender to england if they cant find a rescue over here

have you a link to that law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I don't know if this is a law, bye-law or policy but it actually makes sense if you think about it. Any idiot off the street wanting a status dog could get one no problem from a pound for minimal cost, they can't have separate rules for different people either so it has to be everyone or no-one, of course you can't always judge a book by it's cover either and there isn't any way really for them to guarantee the person they are handing a dog over to. There's also the extra legal constraints on RB owners to consider so all in all it does sound like a sensible policy to me as it puts some small limit on the availability of these dogs to idiots in that rescues will carry out checks on potential owners that is beyond the scope of the pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

I was also told by ashton dog pound on FB that they dont rehome restricted breeds to dublin:confused:

ppink wrote: »
    have you a link to that law?
    no

I don't know if this is a law, bye-law or policy but it actually makes sense if you think about it.
    Oh, agreed totally. But it would be nice if the pound clarified what they were doing.

There is no law as far as I can see which compels them to do this. There is no requirement to ensure that restricted breeds are homechecked and chipped before rehoming.

The thing that really surprised me was the OP's friend being told that the dog would be sent to refuge who would either take care of it or euthanise it. If the policy is that all rehomings take place via a rescue, then why don't the pound just tell people to liaise with the rescue in order to rehome the dog.

Unless the dog has severe behavioural problems (or is close to death), no rescue would euthanise a dog of any breed which has a person willing to rehome them.

My advice would be to go back to the pound and ask them what rescue they will send the dog to, and then go direct to that rescue to arrange rehoming of this specific dog.

Unless the dog has severe behavioural problems (or is close to death), no rescue would euthanise a dog of any breed which has a person willing to rehome them.

My advice would be to go back to the pound and ask them what rescue they will send the dog to, and then go direct to that rescue to arrange rehoming of this specific dog.

The dog is placid, the ashtown dog pound refused to tell the person who brought the dog to the pound what shelter the dog is going to be brought to so in this case its a pity the dog was brought there at all as its chances of survival look slimmer than if it had been left on the street at the moment.

I think the person who brought the dog to the pound is going to ashtown to try and talk to a manager, hopefully thats what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

Open to correction here but as far as I know Ashton do not rehome restricted breeds or pups to members of the public. I understand it seems unfair but with the volume of dogs ending up in the pound time and time again Ashton may feel a rescue is the best option for these dogs to get a good home with responsible owners. I'm not a big fan of Ashton but the staff do what they can with the resources they have. I don't think the pound will be able to do much for you in this instance. Hopefully the owners turn up. Make sure to put him up on every lost and found website you can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

Dots, I've sent you a PM with details of someone who may be able to help.

Hope it works out for the dog and your friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Dots1982 wrote: »
    A friend of a friend put a dog in to Ashtown dogpound at the weekend after they found the dog lost on the street. The original owner has not come forward despite there been posters put up around the area. The person who brought the dog to the pound has found a family who want to take the dog but the pound say all they can do is put it in a refuge after 5 days if the owner doesn't come forward. In the refuge it will be cared for or put down according to Ashtown. This is due to the dog being old and because of its breed (its a good breed, a staff bull terrier)

I really don't get this. Sounds like thats not a fair excuse for not allowing a dog to be rehomed.

Any views?

The description of the dog is below:
    STAFF BULL TERRIER FOUND ON THE MORNING OF 02/10/2011 IN ARDMORE/MONTROSE AREA, ARTANE

COLOUR: DARK BROWN (BRINGLE)
    MALE
    CHIP NUMBER (NOT REGISTERED): 941000002530312
    DOG IS WELL MAINTAINED AND HOUSE TRAINED
    PLEASE CONTACT ASHTOWN DOG POUND IF YOU OWN THIS DOG / KNOW OF ANYBODY MISSING A STAFF DOG

I don't know who told you the chip is not reg'd as it is with Fido and the dog's name is Jake, he was born in 2003 and his owner is from Dublin 11. Drop me a PM and I give you the rest of the owners details.

thanks egar

I've send you a pm, I'll keep the thread updated hopefully with good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Have answered.

Lymcd: I got your PM but cannot reply to it as you haven't confirmed your email yet with boards.ie? I have sent the details of the owner to dots.

I don't know why the rescue told you the chip wasn't reg'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Sparko

That's disgraceful that the chip wasn't recognised by the pound. Surely Fido is one of the main databases? Isn't there also a website that reviews all of the different databases? I can't believe the pound could mess up like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Sparko wrote: »
    That's disgraceful that the chip wasn't recognised by the pound. Surely Fido is one of the main databases? Isn't there also a website that reviews all of the different databases? I can't believe the pound could mess up like that.

Nobody on here has said that pound messed up. The dog was taken to a rescue first, to be scanned, they are the ones that missed the chip, not Ashton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Sparko wrote: »

EGAR said a rescue missed the chip, not the pound. In general Ashton isn't the worst. Two of my dogs came from there, one of them via a rescue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lymcd

EGAR wrote: »
    Have answered.

Lymcd: I got your PM but cannot reply to it as you haven't confirmed your email yet with boards.ie? I have sent the details of the owner to dots.

I don't know why the rescue told you the chip wasn't reg'd.

Im new to this i only joined yesterday wen my friend told me u wrote this up,my friend told me the details,hope 2 god something is done cos my friend wants 2 take the dog to rehome

Advertisement