Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Motors

Options
  • 04-10-2011 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'm doing a project, that involves needing to digitally control an electric motor.

Anyone here have any tips regarding powering and controlling an electric motor off a computer?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Oi! No spamming multiple fora! :p Robotics is the best place to ask!

But generally, whether using a stepper motor (accurate) or brute-forcing a standard motor (not accurate) you'll need some kind of interface board - hand-made or bought from an enthusiast store - to be the middle-man between the PC and motor, unless you can get 5V
    steppers designed to run off USB and a purely software driver! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DonQuigleone

Well, I thought the robotics forum recieved less attention, and I wasn't quite sure which to go for.

Anyway, what would be the cheapest solution?

My goal is to be able to feedback control an electric motor driven propeller. Obviously to do that the easiest way is to have the whole thing go through a computer.

Are there stepper motors designed to run off USB? Sounds like a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Well, I thought the robotics forum recieved less attention, and I wasn't quite sure which to go for.

Anyway, what would be the cheapest solution?

My goal is to be able to feedback control an electric motor driven propeller. Obviously to do that the easiest way is to have the whole thing go through a computer.

Are there stepper motors designed to run off USB? Sounds like a good idea.

Ah, for this, you'll want to look at one of the user friendly hobby boards like an Arduino. You definitely don't want to run a feedback loop on a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

use an X10 contoller. There are used all the time for garage doors, gates etc.

Advertisement