Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fight rite equipment

• 04-10-2011 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

looking for opininons & info on fight rite equipment

I'm on a tight budget at the moment, and need some equipment for kickboxing

is the fight rite stuff any use?
    as it seems to be in my price range, but I cant find much info about them online, or anything about who manufactures the equipment.

train twice a week minimum, so its going usually 3, so need something that will take a hammering

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've used Fight Rite equipment over the years, some has been ok'ish whilst other bits have been pure sh*t.

Have you asked your coach about equipment?. He may have a cheap source for good equipment.

Alternatively check out ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

I've used Fight Rite equipment over the years, some has been ok'ish whilst other bits have been pure sh*t.

Have you asked your coach about equipment?. He may have a cheap source for good equipment.

Alternatively check out ebay.

cheers Mikikomi.

the club supplies wraps & gloves
    (and standard club gear such as, t-shirts & kickboxing pants)
    so have the above,cup, & gum shield from the start.

most of guys & girls at the club have various brands of equipment,
    top king,
    windy,
    fight rite,
    Adidas,
    everlast,
    and other brands I dont recognize, So based on that I assume they source their own equipment, but I plan on talking to instructors tomorrow on what they recommend anyway.

I'll be checking out eBay too, & had a look at the links in the gear tread stickie.

I'll be checking out eBay too, & had a look at the links in the gear tread sickie.

Its a pity more people won't contribute to that thread.

What I will say to you is that martial arts equipment can be expensive for the beginner, but if you stick at it and you initially buy the right gear you'll get years out of it.

The trouble is there is such a large drop out rate in most arts, I had a thread here a few months ago asking people how many who started as white belts with them had stayed and moved onto their browns or black and the figure was probably 1% :eek:

Something else you might consider, if your buying a head guard then something like the Top Ten will literally last a life time and has great resale value..

And buying good quality gloves won't be a waste (should you give up KB) as they can be used in other striking styles or used with a heavybag for fitness.

Thanks. looking at the top ten gear in eBay and direct, seems pricey - but looks to be good stuff.

Only 3 months at kickboxing - & have already seen a good few people
    drop out.
    not saying I will be doing it forever, But I definitely want to stick with it
    for the foreseeable future, and wish that I had took it up when I was teenager or early 20's.

But I'm shocked that only 1% stuck it out until a brown/black belt!
    (I guess most people dont like getting hit.. ;))
    anyway - we'll see if I'm still posting here in a few months :D!

I think I may go with some of the fight rite gear for now - just to get me by until Christmas, and invest in some good stuff when I have more cash at my disposal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

Hi all.

looking for opininons & info on fight rite equipment

Thanks

PM Me. I may have what you're looking for, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

buy cheap buy twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭lynnemc

i use the toppro.ie website for gloves. they have an aiba stamped 10oz adidas glove for 35 euro.. lovely glove and well worth the money ! the top ten headguard in the pic above you can get for about 50 euro too.

lynnemc wrote: »
    i use the toppro.ie website for gloves. they have an aiba stamped 10oz adidas glove for 35 euro.. lovely glove and well worth the money ! the top ten headguard in the pic above you can get for about 50 euro too.

I've used lots of Top Pro gear over the years, quality equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The best I've found in terms of quality are Top Pro, Top Ten and Addidas. Anything by them will last you a long time.

Fight Rite are ok, but the make probably the worst gloves of every brand, so if you're buying off them buy everything apart from the gloves and buy the gloves elsewhere.

Thanks for all the opinions and Advice Guys, really appreciate it.

@ sid justice - I agree buying cheap means buying twice, but I got some cheap gear just get me by for a while, as I feel I am missing out at training without it.

@ Pride Fighter - I got top king gloves a while back, picked up fight rite foot/shin gear

@ Mikikomi - Perhaps this tread could be merged with the Gear tread?
    plenty of good info & links here that would be useful as part off the gear tread stickie

• Advertisement
Advertisement