Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish 2012 Exam

• 04-10-2011 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Today our teacher was showing us the sample papers that have finally been released for the HL Irish test and I was just wondering... is it just me or does it seem very easy? I mean look at Paper 1 for starters all it is is the aural (which with no practice I've been finding handy) and then the story/debate/essay!

On Paper 2 they now have the two comprehensions which I felt was the most challenging part of the paper but now according to my teacher we can just write the answers as they are straight from the text! Then the question on the prose seems ok. For the poetry we get the poems printed on the page so thats grand too. The oral should be ok aswell as the question on the extra poems/novel.

The exam has been seriously dumbed down from past years and in my opinion is almost too easy although Im not complaining :pac:
    What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I thought so too! Even the 'very hard' questions on An Triail didnt look too bad. But then again, I was in 3rd year when they changed the JC course and the real exam was quite different to the sample papers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

The picture series seems to be the only letdown :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ah Here!

Was it that different? I don't really remember to be honest. Yeah I just think the whole picture thing is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Getting papers Friday. Everyone says they wont be as strict with corrections either because it's the first year of it. Easier paper + generous corrector = one happy 6th year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ah Here!

Yeah my only worry would be that an easier paper would mean more people with higher marks but they have to have the same number of A's each year so they could be stingy with the marks and bring some people down grades :( But hopefully not :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Ah Here! wrote: »
    Yeah my only worry would be that an easier paper would mean more people with higher marks but they have to have the same number of A's each year so they could be stingy with the marks and bring some people down grades :( But hopefully not :D

They sorta have to show that the new course is a success though don't they, so there'll be more A's? That's the case with Project Maths anyway afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

I don't like the two comprehensions idea BUT i like the fact we don't have to change words for our answers on it. :D But I think I'll change at least one word incase.. xD
    The rest of the papers seem fine. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Well it would reflect really badly on the new course if the results are worse than previous years, so I doubt that they'll let that happen, but I've seen a few people talk about how the paper itself is going to be 'too easy' and I don't get that...it's still Leaving Cert Irish, it's not going to be that easy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

There's a serious drop in standard with the new paper. A third of the aural is gone, and you've two hours to do a 2 1/2 page essay instead of one hour for a four pager. Combine that with the lower amount of poems and prose.. And i dunno, it just doesn't seem challenging at all. The only think I like about the new format is question 6 on the comprehensions, which seem to be following the same theme; a grammar question and a shorter version of the b part of the comprehension in English. At least that requires some understanding rather than rote learning. @bubbleope, you lose a mark for directly quoting the text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Any idea where to get the Irish paper when sitting Irish as a re sit ( external candidate ) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

@bubbleope, you lose a mark for directly quoting the text.

My teacher said that that's no longer the case. Obviously she could be wrong so I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Any idea where to get the Irish paper when sitting Irish as a re sit ( external candidate ) ?

http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ex&sc=ga

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

@bubbleope, you lose a mark for directly quoting the text.

As far as I'm aware, you no longer lose marks for directly quoting the text. My irish teacher went to a meeting with other lc irish teachers and was told that. Maybe he could be wrong but I doubt it. I'm still going to change my answers if I can.. (: So hopefully I will not lose marks!! ahhh :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

If we don't lose marks for quoting, it will be amazing.

I'm pretty worried about how simple it is, though. It'll be tougher, they can't dumb it down THAT much, can they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I don't think its really been dumbed down at all, just made a little shorter to compensate for the larger oral exam. Besides a shorter exam means 1 mistake has bigger implications and even if a high number of people get A's they may decide to get really strict on marking to keep the same number of A's in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

There's a serious drop in standard with the new paper. A third of the aural is gone, and you've two hours to do a 2 1/2 page essay instead of one hour for a four pager. Combine that with the lower amount of poems and prose.. And i dunno, it just doesn't seem challenging at all. The only think I like about the new format is question 6 on the comprehensions, which seem to be following the same theme; a grammar question and a shorter version of the b part of the comprehension in English. At least that requires some understanding rather than rote learning. @bubbleope, you lose a mark for directly quoting the text.

All that is true, BUT it's 40% for the oral! :eek:

Advertisement