Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner looking for RC plane

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

They are a nice glider them, i have the cularis which is like a bigger version of that. You will need to find someone to assist in the early stages of flying if your a beginner. Its not as easy as it may look.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Whizzzz

That MultiPlex Easyglider doesn't look like it is a Powered glider so you'll need to find a decent hill with some thermals to fly it - if you are a beginner that might be a bit of a challenge at first – particularly trying to land it somewhere near you after your flight !

You could try something like the Nine Eagles Sky Surfer Mini Powered Glider to learn on – it’s a full function powered glider but only about 800mm in wingspan so ideal for a playing field or park to learn to fly – and it’s light enough to be pretty crash resistant

You should be able to pick one up for €100 or so – all in – full Ready to Fly package with everything included

Didnt notice that, looks like no power set with it alright. Better off with a powered one

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

If I had 100 - 150 and I wanted a decent plane with radio, motor, battery, charger, I would be thinking this amount is not getting me a decent radio and the place will go out of range.

Irish windy weather does not treat low power kindly, or inadequate RC aircraft and gear more gently because we didn't decide to buy better. Stuff that works in US/France/Spain gets blown away here.
    So in that price level I'd either look at radio-glider combination, or I'd wait and save up at least 100 more before making the purchase of a motor combination.

I don't think much of Zebra radios, very plasticky IMHO, I think they discounted it down to the level of "just about works" , and I prefer to fly my planes back to me rather than make "the long walk" to a crashed model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

coolwings wrote: »
    If I had 100 - 150 and I wanted a decent plane with radio, motor, battery, charger, I would be thinking this amount is not getting me a decent radio and the place will go out of range.

Irish windy weather does not treat low power kindly, or inadequate RC aircraft and gear more gently because we didn't decide to buy better. Stuff that works in US/France/Spain gets blown away here.
    So in that price level I'd either look at radio-glider combination, or I'd wait and save up at least 100 more before making the purchase of a motor combination.

I don't think much of Zebra radios, very plasticky IMHO, I think they discounted it down to the level of "just about works" , and I prefer to fly my planes back to me rather than make "the long walk" to a crashed model.

Wise advice there.

I fly foamies, from warbirds to gliders, and I have to say that they are very weather dependent. To be honest, our climate is not terribly suitable to flying foamies and the opportunities to fly are greatly limited by the wind. As you progress, you will be able to fly in the wind better but as a beginner (and I'm not being elitest here as we all have to learn), the wind can be your biggest enemy.

I have the Radian and its the plane I learned to fly on. She is a perfect trainer, quite forgiving and has long flight times. However, as Robbie suggested, it would be a very good idea to get a lesson or two off an experienced flyer or your first flight will most certainly be very short. I was flying last week and a passer by said "that looks easy". Well I thought to myself, "it is if you've been flying a couple of years".

This is a great hobby but it is not as simple as it looks and diving in with no training or preparation will soon leave you demoralised crash, after crash.

Save up a bit more and buy a decent radio and a decent plane. You'll get loads of advice on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Hi,

I was looking at buying one of the Parkzone Radian RTF kits before(got advice in a previous thread). i never got around to getting it and am thinking of buying it now.

Trouble is, I cannot see anywhere online selling it now. Anyone got any idea. It was a good all round buy aas I seem to remember.

Is the nine eagles surfer one worth getting if i cant get the radian or what other alternatives are out there that have good transmitter etc.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

The Parkzone Radian has been discontinued I'm afraid. There might still be a few available on ebay if you want one. Hobbyking sell gliders that are reasonably cheap (and a good deal cheaper than the Radian). Have a look at the "Bixler", the "Kinetic" and the "Miniswift". All good gliders that are relatively easy to fly.

As for radios, Spektrum are a good make. The DX5e is a good entry level radio and can be bought for around €60. The next step up is the DX6i which is a far better radio and this costs around €110.

Try F1hobbies, rcpitstop, Leeds model shop to buy from as they are all very reputable.

The Parkzone Radian has been discontinued I'm afraid. There might still be a few available on ebay if you want one. Hobbyking sell gliders that are reasonably cheap (and a good deal cheaper than the Radian). Have a look at the "Bixler", the "Kinetic" and the "Miniswift". All good gliders that are relatively easy to fly.

As for radios, Spektrum are a good make. The DX5e is a good entry level radio and can be bought for around €60. The next step up is the DX6i which is a far better radio and this costs around €110.

Try F1hobbies, rcpitstop, Leeds model shop to buy from as they are all very reputable.

Thanks for that. The spectrum DX5e was part of thee reason I was going for the radian rtf kit.

I'll have a look.at the others mentioned and see what is there.

Thanks

Here is one here, although its PnP, so you would need radio and receiver, battery and charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Here is one here, although its PnP, so you would need radio and receiver, battery and charger.

Good to see them coming back in stock,hopefully they will get spare parts as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

If you want success here's your first stop, even before you spend a cent.

http://maci.ie/clubs-flying-sites/#Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Even better, didn't realise they had a website.

http://www.midlandmfc.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

http://www.adverts.ie/radio-control/rc-nexstar-select/618858

I bought that a while back, it has gone unused due to time and storage constraints.

If anyone is interested in it we can talk, it is currently stored in Galway.

Apologies for dragging up old thread.

I see the radian is back in stock!!!!!!

Am I right in saying that if I buy the BNF version and this:

http://www.rcpitstop.co.uk/phoenix-pro-flight-simulator-v3--spektrum-dx5e-1786-p.asp

that is a complete setup, or do I need a receiver aswell.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Yes you just bind the dx5e to the plane and your ready to go.Bnf only needs transmitter and pnp needs transmitter,receiver,battery and charger.

If you think you will buy more planes or helicopters the dx6i would be a better purchase as you can store 10 plane on it as opposed to 1 on the dx5e.

Apologies for dragging up old thread.

I see the radian is back in stock!!!!!!

Am I right in saying that if I buy the BNF version and this:

http://www.rcpitstop.co.uk/phoenix-pro-flight-simulator-v3--spektrum-dx5e-1786-p.asp

that is a complete setup, or do I need a receiver aswell.

Thanks

Yea the Bind n Fly version just needs a radio. So if you get the simulator and Dx5 you linked, then you are all set. Dx6 would be recommended if you feel certain to continue. But having a spare dx5 is not a bad thing anyway if you later decide to upgrade radio anyway.

Would it be advisable to buy any spares when making the initial purchase and, if so, which parts.

Thanks

Would it be advisable to buy any spares when making the initial purchase and, if so, which parts.

Thanks

I don`t think you really need spares for the radian. Some people manage to snap the control rod screw clamps at the rudder or elevator by over tightening. Reasonably tight by hand is good enough for them.

Other than that, no spares are really needed. Just get assistance for the first flights if it will be you`re first time flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KarlMCK

Hi,
    Can someone build my gas powered rc plane for me. I have all parts but no experience.

Advertisement