Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Welding power lead

• 04-10-2011 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads

One for the 'electricans' out there....

I want to make up an extension power lead for arc welder. Would 4mm2 cable to ok? A standard 13amp extension lead uses 1.5mm2

Muckit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fear tuath

Keep the power lead to the welder as short as possible,long leads loose power and the plant will not operate correctly.
    You can keep your earth and electrode leads as long as you want with out loosing power and your earth will be close to your weld.
    Just try and operate a electric power washer on a long lead and you will see it loose power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

fear tuath wrote: »
    Just try and operate a electric power washer on a long lead and you will see it loose power.

Funny you mention this because I was hoping to use the lead for this aswel!! I thought if I kept the core size large that this would not be the case??

Would I be better getting another extension of the hose lance? It's already 60'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

4 SQ will be fine, and you will have no losses,

only thing to bear in mind is roll out the cable fully while in use , i.e. do NOT have it coiled or rolled up, as this will cause inductance and all sorts of problems.

snowman707 wrote: »
    4 SQ will be fine, and you will have no losses,

only thing to bear in mind is roll out the cable fully while in use , i.e. do NOT have it coiled or rolled up, as this will cause inductance and all sorts of problems.

Thanks snowman. Yes I heard about rolling out leads fully before use and I'I be doing this, as will be using it at it's full length! Also lead won't be going on a reel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

It depends.

The most essential piece of information is missing. How long is the lead you want to make up ??

The length of the cable, power required (or current drawn) of the kit and the power source are needed to properly answer this. We can assume a standard 13A plug with a 230V domestic supply for the second two, but really need to cable length to be sure of giving a correct answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

The nearest shed I have to the house is 80 meters away. There is an old undrgound armour cable running from the consumer unit in the house to a junction box in the shed. From there I have lights and stuff in a few small sheds close by.
    Now I built a slatted shed a further 50 meters away in the past few years.
    We ran underground cable from the junction box in the shed, to the new shed, and installed a consumer unit in the new shed. We wired up lights and sockets from there.
    Guy who came afterwards to do some welding, who plugged innto the sockets in new shed, worked away fine on most of the work. Occasionally, had a bit of trouble when doing heavy welding, but be enlarge no major issues.
    The hot water washer sometimes trips out the ELCB, on start up. That is to say, I can start the machine fine, and fire up the burner for hot water. However sometimes I do find when I pull the trigger on the lance, to start washing the ELCB may trip.
    I get around that, by holding the lance trigger in the pulled position, before I switch on the machine.

By the way, Muckit, how is the powerline working:p

It depends.

The most essential piece of information is missing. How long is the lead you want to make up ??

The length of the cable, power required (or current drawn) of the kit and the power source are needed to properly answer this. We can assume a standard 13A plug with a 230V domestic supply for the second two, but really need to cable length to be sure of giving a correct answer.

Well the hot washer has a draw of ~2200W (3hp pump). I'd have to check the welder, but it's a standard typical arc stick welder (180A). Does anyone know off hand the power (wattage) draw on these? :confused:

The powerwasher would need to be fitted with a 16amp fuse (if using a domestic plug), but I've fitted outdoor round plugs on mine, because that's what's fitted in my sheds.

RE: Length? How long is a piece of string? :p I'd like to make it at least 100', if not 150' for comfort (for using the powerwasher anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Muckit wrote: »
    RE: Length? How long is a piece of string? :p I'd like to make it at least 100', if not 150' for comfort (for using the powerwasher anyway)

twice the length of half of it:p

Well lads

This is the lead I made up in the end. 30m of 6sq cable. Shouldn't burn this out! Some lump of a cable :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Muckit wrote: »
    Well lads

This is the lead I made up in the end. 30m of 6sq cable. Shouldn't burn this out! Some lump of a cable :D

expensive stuff too id say

• Advertisement

expensive stuff too id say

The cable + male/female sockets.....I hadn't much change out of €80 :o

Still, I have it and I know it'I do the job without damaging or burning anything out. Could work out cheap in the long term ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It's certainly cheaper than burning out a welder or power washer :D

Rovi wrote: »
    It's certainly cheaper than burning out a welder or power washer

This is it :rolleyes: You can't put a price on peace of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

are those 16amp or 32amp plug's on the lead

yog1 wrote: »
    are those 16amp or 32amp plug's on the lead

16amp

Advertisement