Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Muscles with Protein Shakes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

johncappa, of course Creatine is not a steroid! I never said it was, and regarding eggs I eat one every morning! :)

And I was merely saying that this thread is not the answer. I agree with you that roberb does not need a trainer and that "You need to decide your goals and read and educate yourself a little" is sound advice!

flynmo, "squats are also known to make your body produce more testosterone". Is this true? News to me. How does this work? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Gingko wrote: »
    flynmo, "squats are also known to make your body produce more testosterone". Is this true? News to me. How does this work? Thanks.

real men squat

ergo squats help with t

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Roberb I very very much doubt you have very strong legs. Get under a Barbell and squat and you'll know fairly fast how strong they are.

And never listen to a GP's take on nutrition. Idiots for the most part in this field.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hi RMD, The "pumped up idiots" statement comes across strong I know. It's not aimed at everyone! But where I am living at the moment I am surrounded by just that. Guys going to the gym and taking copious amounts of Creatine supplement
    What is copious amounts?
    is it the creatine that has them pumped up?
    I used to take protein supplements in the past. Maximuscle "Promax" to be exact. Quite a good one as they go
    Actually, as they go, promax isn't a very good choice.
    It's early days still when you consider just how long these supplements have been around for in relation to human evolution?
    Creatine is naturally produced by the human body. And in all vertebrates. and their meat which we eat.
    Although meat ingestion isn't essential as the human body can produce its own from L-arginine, glycine, and L-methionine.

I would question the credentials of your doctor friends if they didn't know that.
    roberb wrote: »
    When I say 30 min work out i mean 50 minutes with all the breaks. SO my arms are donw after 50 mins. I dont do leg work as i play soccer once a week and have very strong legs from years of running and football (35 now)
    Being able to run for a long time is endurance not strength.
    Most footballers train their leg strength in the gym, not on the pitch.
    So looks lkike the best thing to do to get results is:
    1. Increase workouts to 3 per week (50 mins)
    2. 3 x 50g whey shakes per day
    3. Add in the bench press and deadlift to routine
    4. Eat more

I'd change it a little, in order of priority;
    1. Eat more.
    2. Train Squats, Bench press, deadlifts and overhead press
    3. Workout 3 times a week
    4. Get 170-200g of protien a day. Including protein from your normal food. Shakes should only be a small portion of this, say 50-90g.

The bigger the muscle worked (and then being repaired) the bigger response in test and growth hormone. The biggest muscles in the body are the hamstrings and the glutes, both hit by squats. I haven't seen the size of this increase quantitified in relative terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 flynmo

http://www.triedandtruefitness.com/squats-are-they-really-that-important/362/

Read this info about squats it changed my mind about working legs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

roberb, Your really not going to get the ideal program to meet your individual needs online? Maybe best to see someone qualified in person? It's easy for everyone here to tell you what to or not to do? Always need to meet the person involved to get a real picture so to speak. Good that your so inquisitive though! smile.gif

And I was merely saying that this thread is not the answer. I agree with you that roberb does not need a trainer and that "You need to decide your goals and read and educate yourself a little" is sound advice!

So does he need a trainer or not......lol! You changed your mind very fast.

And my example about eggs was to demonstrate how bad research/myths can become FACT over time time and are difficult to get over. Just like the myths and preconceptions you have over creatine. An egg a day is ok. Infact 10 eggs a day is ok (assuming they fit in with your target cals/macro split).

flynmo wrote: »
    http://www.triedandtruefitness.com/squats-are-they-really-that-important/362/

Interesting article. I've been looking up more on squats since. Thanks flynmo!!

john_cappa wrote: »
    So does he need a trainer or not......lol! You changed your mind very fast.

And my example about eggs was to demonstrate how bad research/myths can become FACT over time time and are difficult to get over. Just like the myths and preconceptions you have over creatine. An egg a day is ok. Infact 10 eggs a day is ok (assuming they fit in with your target cals/macro split).

It was more of a leaning away from this thread as a sole source of advice then actually getting a trainer! I never used a trainer either but maybe our codes are different? What exactly are you doing by the way that you need supplements? Gym goer or something else? I surf, I also do some mid weight training, jogging and Ashtanga yoga to compliment this. Although perhaps some of flynmo's squats will be undertaken soon too! Can see the benefits re legs and core.

Re supplements again? I still believe that one is better off educating themselves in the culinary delights of the world and stocking up on protein, carbs, fibre, cals etc this way for a number of reasons. We just have a difference of opinion on this. Fair enough. Personally I sway towards seafood (abundance in ireland) and Indian cooking oh yea and eggs! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 roberb

Originally Posted by flynmo viewpost.gif
    http://www.triedandtruefitness.com/s...important/362/

Cheers for that, sounds very interesting. I will look into this. I have big leg muscle definition and can run for hours on the pitch so have endurance. I did not want to spend time on muscles here (they are big but may be dornmant aas not sued to lifting) and because of my 50min a time workout time restriction just wanted to stick with upper body. However this suggests squats help upper body so may try and fit in.

Whoops, just spent €35 on Promax lean muscle growth!!! Just went into health store and bought it. Is there a better one???

1. Eat more.
    4. Get 170-200g of protien a day. Including protein from your normal food. Shakes should only be a small portion of this, say 50-90g.

Will look at the above. I am not a foodie so am going it hard to eat more. Anyone have any sample daily food intake plans that i could look at? Realistic ones not idealistic ones!

Mellor wrote: »
    What is copious amounts?
    is it the creatine that has them pumped up?

Creatine is naturally produced by the human body. And in all vertebrates. and their meat which we eat.
    Although meat ingestion isn't essential as the human body can produce its own from L-arginine, glycine, and L-methionine.

I would question the credentials of your doctor friends if they didn't know that.

Being able to run for a long time is endurance not strength.
    Most footballers train their leg strength in the gym, not on the pitch.

I'd change it a little, in order of priority;
    1. Eat more.

The bigger the muscle worked (and then being repaired) the bigger response in test and growth hormone. The biggest muscles in the body are the hamstrings and the glutes, both hit by squats. I haven't seen the size of this increase quantitified in relative terms.

Hi Mellor, I know creatine is not a steroid firstly, I know it is produced naturally in the body too. What has those guys pumped up? Well they drink a creatine supplement before and after work outs, and they recommended it to me? unless their taking something else at home? Possible I guess?

My problem is with these in supplement form. Personally I suffered from some bowel problems after using various protein supplements, but that was just me! Maybe I had an intolerance to it? We can get all we need from eating the right type and amounts of food regardless of what our individual goals are? It's a money making racket too.

My two GP friends are against many supplements unless absolutely necessary for mainly medical or convalescing reasons (inc multivitamin). They too believe in the good all round food intake route. (and yes im sure they are aware of what creatine is)

Re squats info, makes sense, thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Whoops, just spent €35 on Promax lean muscle growth!!! Just went into health store and bought it. Is there a better one???
    It's not bad, and the others are the same. But it's a lot more expensive.
    quality wise its the same, so just stay the course, but its over priced, so next time pay half the price for the same stuff, essentially.

Hi Mellor, I know creatine is not a steroid firstly, I know it is produced naturally in the body too. What has those guys pumped up? Well they drink a creatine supplement before and after work outs, and they recommended it to me? unless their taking something else at home? Possible I guess?
    Creatine might of made a tiny difference in appearance,or not. But nothing that you could notice visually just by looking at an a stranger. If they were bigger, or pumped up, it was down to hard work, with or without any "supplements"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tomegan2010

I'm 6'2 and about 196 pounds. I'm building my muscle with training 5 mornings a week. I'm on kinetica protein. Its new on the market and manufactured in ireland. I'm taking it once in the morning and once straight after training. Its completly drug tested aswell so no dirt. Its very easy on the stomach unlike other stuff. I take it on a daily basis even when I'm not training but always just stick to 2 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 roberb

Tom, What Kinetica product are you using. There seems to be a lot of them. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 pixiebob

OP, use whey shakes at key times when the body needs a quick supply of protein, ie after training and upon rising in the morning. you must get the the rest from food sources if you are to see much in the way of muscle gains. aim for 30-40grms protein over 5-6 small meals per day. shakes are only a supplement and wont cut the mustard alone, dont get conned by the glossy adverts and company spin.

reflex are by far the best in terms of performance and value, id give up training first before being extorted by the likes of maximuscle or BSN

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

I'm 6'2 and about 196 pounds. I'm building my muscle with training 5 mornings a week. I'm on kinetica protein. Its new on the market and manufactured in ireland. I'm taking it once in the morning and once straight after training. Its completly drug tested aswell so no dirt. Its very easy on the stomach unlike other stuff. I take it on a daily basis even when I'm not training but always just stick to 2 a day.

Do you work for Kinetica by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Cheers for the replies...

When I say 30 min work out i mean 50 minutes with all the breaks. SO my arms are donw after 50 mins. I dont do leg work as i play soccer once a week and have very strong legs from years of running and football (35 now)

Haha id say ur fit playing football, but as far as leg strength id say you would get a shock how weak your legs really are after a good legs session in the gym!

Have a go at some deep bum to the ground squats and some heavy leg pressing etc and you'll feel your legs burn like id imagine you've never felt before!;)

Advertisement