Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Information from Familysearch.org

• 04-10-2011 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I have checked in the Sticky but cant find the answer to my query, probably a silly one anyway! I have found records on Familysearch.org of who i am fairly sure are ancestors of mine but a lot of details are missing. An example of one record would be that on a death record it does not give details of the mothers maiden name. Would it be just the same information i would get if i got a copy of the record from the GRO or would the missing details be shown?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭rhapsody

You'll have to get the full record in the GRO- the family search is more of an index. I haven't ever come across a mother's maiden name on a death cert though :confused: The mother's maiden name would be on a birth cert., its not usually in the family search info but would be on the GRO cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

The records you recieve from GRO have much more information on them! Very fast service too....
    I haven't ordered death certificates, but I have ordered Marriage and Birth certs

The Marriage certs, have both peoples names, the address they lived in, Fathers names and fathers occupation

Birth Certs, have both parents, names, mothers maiden name, and address where they lived

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mattym

Thanks Rhapsody, i suppose i used a bad example. A better one would be a marriage cert from 1866, on the website there is no mention of who he married. My question really is would there be full details of the marriage on a GRO cert or does all the available info be displayed on that website. Sorry for the long winded way of asking a simple question!!!!

Thanks a million Dido2, that opens up a hell of a lot of work for me!!! I read in the sticky that the application form on the GRO website is all you need to fill out and fax off, i take it that hasnt changed?

I print out the form and fill in just the Credit Card details, then I put all the reference numbers on another sheet of paper, I usually print these out, I keep Births on seperate sheets to marriages just in case, a few weeks ago and just last friday sent in a request for a birth cert from a list of 9 but only to send ones with a fathers name that I gave them and they did send back just the one of the possible 9 to me, the last lot I sent off was last friday, they should be here tomorrow hopefully... Very good and efficient service, just a shame theres no online facility, but I suspect that if there was there work load would increase an awful lot due to ease of use and access, this way people have to put more work into getting the records

• Advertisement

You can cross reference the marriage record you have, search for exactly the same year, same place, but without a name, you'll get all marriages, then you work through them all, when you get a matching Volume number and page number you could have a match, there only seems to be about 4 marriages per page of the register, so you could get 4 matching womens names, but all you need do is send all 4 womens names along with the mans names and ask for the correct record, I'm assuming though that with just one persons name that it may be possible to get the marriage cert too..

If you want any help with trying to find a match stick in the mans name and we can help, or you could be like me and want to do it yourself!!!!!

Thanks for your kind offer Dido2, Since your first message, using your information, i have found the other half of the marriage!!! Same film number, volume and page, thank you. But now i'm getting greedy, i have a record of the marriage in 1866 and i realise i'm back near the start of these records but is there anyway i might get the two peoples parents names? I might get his fathers name on the marriage cert when i send away for it but anyway to get the mothers first and maiden name? The more you find the more you want!!!

Make sure you get about 4 records to match the one you have as there will be 4 men and 4 women of each record you come across with matching numbers, so you should end up with 4 possible wifes for him..

Once you get the marriage cert there should be a fathers name on the cert too for both the husband and the wife, I'm only hitting the late 1800's myself and up until now I've used Census and Familysearch for my records

I think the only chance i'd have of going back further would be his mothers maiden name or his fathers name so the marriage cert should give me the fathers name. The maiden name could be a tough one. Roll on getting a copy of the original record, thanks for you help.

• Advertisement

Did you manage to find 3 more records for the wife??? I'd imagine though that you'd still get the marriage cert based on the husbands details..

I had a possible surname from an old family member and that showed up so happy days!!!

Perfect!!!

Get it in the post tomorrow! I'll be like a child tomorrow morning waiting for the postwoman, I've good few coming this time and they could possibly open up loads of cans of worms or nothing at all!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

dido2 wrote: »
    Did you manage to find 3 more records for the wife??? I'd imagine though that you'd still get the marriage cert based on the husbands details..

Dido,

Just to say you don't need to find 3 more "wives" for each person. If you have both parties names and the references match, you'd be extremely unlucky to find a second person on that page with the same name. I've never heard of it happening, though there is a tiny tiny chance.

Only a birth cert will have a mother's maiden name. Unless you're taking in the last 50 years, when they started putting mothers' details as well on the marriage cert. You will get it in Catholic parish records a lot of the time but not CoI.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I know that Pinky, mattym didn't say that there was a wifes name so I thought I'd point it out just in case!

Advertisement