Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Live (Console banned)

Options
  • 04-10-2011 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I tried to set up Xbox Live on my nephew's second-hand Xbox. A message appeared saying that the console is banned from Xbox Live, due to a "terms of use violation" and that there is no "recourse" to this violation.

The console was bought from Game Stop a few years back. My nephew is only now old enough to play online, so we have just discovered this problem.

Should Game Stop have sold it in this condition?

If they can't help, what are my options, if any?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Oh god and it starts again!

No but seriously, your in a tricky situation, I'm assuming you bought it preowned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

well he did say it was second hand:rolleyes:.
    i have to say im amazed their is not more posts
    like this,why?cos when they released the slim
    they had a big trade in offer goin on.

im sure lots of banned consoles were traded in,
    but did the shops say buyer beware??
    and i would like to know how ms dealt with
    the trade ins,as most people would not know
    about live bans,.
    or did ms do a deal with the shops to "unban"
    these consoles?:confused:
    op if it was paid by credit card,you may have
    some recourse.i think you need to prove it
    was second hand.

ring ms and ask them about it,
    and post reply back here.

sorry i cant help any more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

deco nate wrote: »
    well he did say it was second hand:rolleyes:.
    i have to say im amazed their is not more posts
    like this,why?cos when they released the slim
    they had a big trade in offer goin on.

im sure lots of banned consoles were traded in,
    but did the shops say buyer beware??
    and i would like to know how ms dealt with
    the trade ins,as most people would not know
    about live bans,.
    or did ms do a deal with the shops to "unban"
    these consoles?:confused:
    op if it was paid by credit card,you may have
    some recourse.i think you need to prove it
    was second hand.

ring ms and ask them about it,
    and post reply back here.

sorry i cant help any more than that.
    I can assure you they wont unban it, as the system mods are already in place,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Kinda have to agree with Meesared here, it's highly unlikely that MS will unban the console. Even with the recent events of North1 getting his console unbanned, that was due to a mistake on MS's part. This console was probably legitimately banned and therefore MS will make sure it stays that way.

It's pretty bad form from whoever traded in that console to Gamestop and unfortunate that the OP only realised it now. As has been mentioned already, you're best bet is to bring it back to Gamestop with some form of proof of purchase and even better if you could get something from MS stating when the console was banned to prove it was before your purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Phegasus

The onus is on the store to make sure the products they are selling are of working condition. Many trade in stores fail to do so. However, Microsoft are more than willing to check the serial number of the console to check for any flagged or known issues with the console.

They will not however reverse any console bans, regardless of whether it has a new owner or not.

Edit: Added to post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

+1 on getting the date of banning from Microsoft
    couple that with proof of when you purchased from Gamestop, and you'll have quite a strong case against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

lads proof of purchase?? Who here still has there xbox receipts??? I've mine less than a year and i dont, op said they have it years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

lads proof of purchase?? Who here still has there xbox receipts??? I've mine less than a year and i dont, op said they have it years

I have had my xbox for about 3 years and Still have mine :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Sorry about the delay, and thanks for all your replies.

My sister actually had the recent, and Game Stop replaced the console.

It was pretty decent of them, as they could have brushed it aside.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

This is getting ridiculous! First North1 comes on here and gets his console unbanned due to MS making a mistake and now the OP of this thread gets his console replaced by Gamestop nearly two years later without having to cause a fuss!

What's going on in Xbox world!!! It must be karma coming round from all the years of RRoD... good things are happening on this forum :D

Ok, so I'm closing this thread since we have a great result.

PS. I'm also buying a lottery ticket (just mentioning it here so some of the good karma will rub off ;))

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement