Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC broadband delays - Dun Laoghaire

• 04-10-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Living on Tivoli Terrace South in the heart of Dun Laoghaire. The roads at both the top and bottom have access to UPC broadband but for some reason when I ring up I'm told it is not available to us. Standard UPC line of it being 'overdue' on our road but unfortunately followed by the standard UPC line of having no idea when this might be or more importantly what the hold up is.

If one goes onto their website they are happy to advertise that DunLaoghaire is one of the areas where customer can get 'all three services' .......this aint so I'm afraid.

Suggestions anyone on why this delay might occur or has anyone had similiar problems with UPC?

May head down the Wimax route but UPC are good value and have heard good things in reagrdinh upload/download speeds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 exterminator447

I got a Letter from UPC the other day saying that they are upgrading all the time and I have been onto them numerous time. I am currently on Vesey Place Dunlaoghaire and UPC service is across the road from me as well on York Road, can they not simply run a cable under the road

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This happens all over the place, it usually happens because your neighbours on either side of the road won't let UPC onto their property to replace the cable with new cable capable of broadband.

As UPC cable is shared between homes, it does means you can't get BB.

There is generally nothing UPC can do about this, it is your neighbours fault. Same thing happened to my girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

I'm not too far away from you in Sandycove. UPC told me last November that we would have broadband within weeks, but certainly by the end of the year (2010)! Anyway queue many calls and similar stories we recently gave up waiting and took out business elsewhere. Not great on the part of UPC. (Similar to yourself it looks like BB is available on most of the other buildings on our street).

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

I'm moving to York Road in the coming weeks, coming from an apartment where we have 50mb UPC. Did you ever get anywhere with UPC, narodvale? They're checking it for me at the moment but they said they "weren't hopeful".

Did you go with a different service? How'd you get on with that?

-jp

• Registered Users Posts: 32 exterminator447

jamesnp wrote: »
    I'm moving to York Road in the coming weeks, coming from an apartment where we have 50mb UPC. Did you ever get anywhere with UPC, narodvale? They're checking it for me at the moment but they said they "weren't hopeful".

Did you go with a different service? How'd you get on with that?

-jp

UPC broadband is available on some parts of york road, near the health centre side of things but not all, it all depends what number house in york road your moving, if you send me a PM i can check it out for u

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Having the same problem here. Houses less than 300m away have full service from UPC but only tv available here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Rodonmac

Another with the same issue. Mulgrave this time. Don't think any of the houses can get UPC - they all have that orange tape around where the ESB comes int. I got the same runaround from UPC. After talking to a few people they said they would get someone from their technical section to ring me back, which hasn't happened. Any views on the alternative providers?

I went with Magnet in the end. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!

I was promised no contention yet the line slows from 13mb to between 1 and 5mb after 6.30pm. Their customer care is a JOKE with no complaint or escalation process to speak of - one of them even let slip to me that my 1:1 line is actually 1:6. However, despite about 12 calls, I'm still waiting on a reply to an email I sent on the 10th Feb. Someone called Nora is supposed to be replying... God knows when she'll actually bother her ass.

They're so bad I'll probably switch to Eircom soon. I don't think they lie about contention in the same way Magnet do.

-jp

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Rodonmac

I'm with Vodafone. No real complaints except the DSL drops occasionally and is fine when you reboot the router. Was v attracted to the extra speed of UPC as well as package with TV. Treating Vodafone as a stop-gap - it's ok, but it's going on longer than I thought. Other main possibility was Imagine, but I'm nervous about this technology - esp having my phone line on a WiMax connection.

They're so bad I'll probably switch to Eircom soon. I don't think they lie about contention in the same way Magnet do.

Well, hell froze over and I actually got a call from Magnet! The guy explained that my actual line isn't contended; however, due to severe load on their network backbone, I was in effect, experiencing contention issues.

They've got a new pipe in, he says, and I've been put on that. I've had no problems since.

So, fingers crossed!

-jp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Well, hell froze over and I actually got a call from Magnet! The guy explained that my actual line isn't contended; however, due to severe load on their network backbone, I was in effect, experiencing contention issues.

They've got a new pipe in, he says, and I've been put on that. I've had no problems since.

So, fingers crossed!

-jp
    So Magnet were talking complete ****e. They're no more or less contended than eircom or any other residential DSL provider are. And in reality (between NGB and the extensive fibre network eircom has etc) eircom rarely have exchange level congestion these days.

So Magnet were talking complete ****e. They're no more or less contended than eircom or any other residential DSL provider are. And in reality (between NGB and the extensive fibre network eircom has etc) eircom rarely have exchange level congestion these days.

Yep... they don't have a clue what's going on.

I've also only just noticed that there's no option to pay the bill on their website, which is going to be interesting!

-jp

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MissGolightly

Can anyone feedback what Broadband they are using in Tivoli Terrace South and how good it is. We will be using the internet for UTube and streaming movies etc. UPC looked perfect but alas as I have since discovered it's not available.

I see Magnet mentioned though the feedback here doesn't look great and on a few different websites I have come across Imagine/Wimax and Digiweb as recommended for this area.

We were also considering a Hotspot through Meteor or O2. Does anyone have any experience of using these and might they be the best route to go down.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭frash

Can anyone here recommend the UPC service in Dun Laoghaire?

It's available in my area but looking for reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭bren2002

frash wrote: »
    Can anyone here recommend the UPC service in Dun Laoghaire?

It's available in my area but looking for reviews.

I'm in Sandycove, Dundela Park. 25MB broadband with UPC. It's brilliant, no complaints at all.

I did notice their address checking tool can be a little off. It originally said I couldn't get it, but after a tweak to address it said I could.

My biggest problem is actually that the wifi network is slower than the bb line. Wireless devices are slower than wired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

bren2002 wrote: »

My biggest problem is actually that the wifi network is slower than the bb line. Wireless devices are slower than wired.

That's always the way wifi will always be slower than wired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭frash

bren2002 wrote: »
    I'm in Sandycove, Dundela Park. 25MB broadband with UPC. It's brilliant, no complaints at all.

Good to know - thanks

Advertisement