Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offer On YouTube

• 04-10-2011 7:56pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, not entirely sure if this is the right spot but I figure there'd be no harm asking for an opinion.

About 2-4 weeks ago my YouTube channel became eligible for Monetization, not that I have the opportunity to use it given it's a gaming channel which obviously shows copyright material.

Anyhow, to the point - I suspiciously get this email not long after the Monetization process from someone. I've no really bothered to look into it as I'm not overly interested but then again I'm just like that, never seeing bigger pictures sometime.

Email goes as follows:

"
    Advertising partnership for your Youtube channel

I work in new partner development at Fullscreen Entertainment, which is a web video start-up based in Los Angeles. We are impressed with the number of views your Youtube channel has received and would like to explore a YouTube partnership with you. You would become a full partner on YouTube meaning you would receive all of the benefits of being partner including monetization of your videos and branding options (header).

You will keep full ownership of your videos, and we pay you every month via PayPal. You would also have full access to an online dashboard to track your earnings along with other marketing opportunities. You are welcome to check out our website at http://fullscreen.net and also take a look link below of an article below which talks a little bit about Fullscreen and what we do. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

http://adage.com/article/mediaworks/bringing-youtube-talent-advertisers-distributors/226881/

Sincerely,
    Jeremy Gerstman
    Business Development Associate
    Fullscreen.net

Sent to: ropedrink"

No idea what to make of it and thus far I'm just looking for a general idea as to wether this is scamming nonsense or possibly a genuine offer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭market myself online

I would say it is a genuine offer. Until they ask for any obvious details which could lead to identity theft or fraud. There actually are people out there who are genuine ;)

I know that it is often a trick of the trade to find Youtubers with good viewing figures and offer them remuneration in return for links and branding, quite powerful traffic technique.

If you are able to do it, I would actually recommend it, spread the love and get paid for it, although of course I recommend sticking to your principled where remuneration might cause conflict of interest. I have pasted more details about that websites owner etc incase you want to call them and verify (please note the American address) .

Registrant
    Admin Strompolos Digital Media
    Address 4553 Glencoe Ave. Ste 325
    Marina Del Rey
    CA
    UNITED STATES

Administrative contact
    Admin George Strompolos
    Email fullscreen.net@dns-protect.net
    Phone +1-7574166575
    Address 4553 Glencoe Ave. Ste 325
    Marina Del Rey
    CA
    UNITED STATES

Link to article talking about that particular start up
    http://gigaom.com/video/george-strompolos-leaves-youtube-to-found-start-up/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Genuine. The promoter of this George Strompolos has a good name in online media circles. I'll see if I can dig more up when a friend from the area and in a similar set up gets back from vacation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

OMG i watch your videos so hai therr :)
    Em instead of them monotizing and earning more than you would be earning for your videos you could earn money yourself affiliate marketing with your video's.
    For Example sign up with clickbank and advertise a Stable WoW product Such as Zygor Guides/Dugi Guides/Luke Browns gold guide as a pop under on your video when it starts.

Hey Ropedrink,

it sounds like you don't need advice on every single offer which comes your way. You can judge each of them by using common sense and a bit of detective work. Start by just googling the company name, or any other information you want to check.

I think what you are really looking for is advice on monetising your channel. In my opinion, you have got something extremely valuable. A watchable commodity which has an existing fanbase. If I were you I would turn that into a business proposition. If the money is worth it for you personally of course.

Here is what I mean. Look at the figures, look at how much traffic watches your video's.

Now I can think of 3 main ways to monetise the video's,

1. inline advertising which pops up during the videos
    2. Profit sharing, or selling access to third party interests
    3. Links in the description of each video which either lead to your website or an affiliate offer.

Look at each option and see how much it will make you, and jump in. Even if you make a few mistakes and end up giving your money away to a scammer, you are not about to lose the most valuable thing, which is the ability to make those video's and your fans who like it. Learn from your mistakes and move on. Just do something, pick an option and jump in.

L

Oh and thoughts on copyright etc. well it depends on the law of the land of the country you live in.

My knowledge of the law in Ireland is that you can take any material and if you change it by a certain percentage (I dont think it is much) then you can claim ownership. An example of gaming videos (although not in Ireland) is Red vs Blue.

But that aside if youtube is not kicking up a fuss I wouldn't worry. The gaming companies will go after the easiest and juiciest target if they want a fight. In this case the most likeliest consequence is that if you start making a lot of money/exposure it is possible a company will send you a cease and desist letter and then youtube will just pull your videos and give you a slap on the wrist (and that is only in an extreme case).

Just go and look at some of the other channels out there doing what you do, and see if they are monetising.

NB none of the above is actual legal advice, for that I would consult a trained legal professional ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement