Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL lagging alot lately, anyone else?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

kabar wrote: »
    Same issue here.
    High % of packet loss and ridiculous speed: 1.24MBps down, 0.24MBps up.

Online gaming, streaming, even Skype are really badly affected.

Hi kabar,

If you PM your telephone number I can look into the slow connection issues you have been having.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

2e20bhx.png

:(

Used to be a straight line, what number should I ring to log a fault on the line? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi nuxxx,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards.

Engineers are currently still assigned and dealing with your case. This has been escalated. As soon as engineers have resolved this problem they will update yourself or Technical Support, who in turn will advise you further.

If you need an update, or wish to call direct into Tech Support, please call:
    Broadband Technical Support - 1890 260260 (lowcall) (Opening hours : 08:00 - 22:00), 7 days.

Let me know if you need me to PM your Technical Support case id (reference)?

Kind regards,
    Ant

Connection is now disconnecting out of game servers every couple of minutes, servers which iv been playing on for years. Will be ringing technical support tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Shantalla exchange situation has improved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Absolutely horrendous connection issues today

Pinging home.eircom.net [159.134.198.138] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=1705ms TTL=57
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=1724ms TTL=57
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=1866ms TTL=57
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=2017ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 159.134.198.138:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1705ms, Maximum = 2017ms, Average = 1828ms

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Absolutely horrendous connection issues today

Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=1705ms TTL=57
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=1724ms TTL=57
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=1866ms TTL=57
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=2017ms TTL=57

Minimum = 1705ms, Maximum = 2017ms, Average = 1828ms

Hi Liam,

Thanks for post.

The ping times look exceptionally high and I can see low attainables /sync. This may be local, so can you try a quick powercycle of the modem to see if ping times improve.

* Powercycle the modem:
    o Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
    o Wait 30 seconds
    o Switch the modem back On
    o Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect

If pings are still the same afterwards, Technical Support have asked that you contact them right away. Retain your case reference (case id) as this will help speed up your call time and if you need me to chase this up let me know.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Any problems, let me know,
    Ant

C:\Users\XXXX>ping www.eircom.net

Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=129ms TTL=58
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=153ms TTL=58
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=143ms TTL=58
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=183ms TTL=58

Minimum = 83ms, Maximum = 153ms, Average = 127ms

Awesome stuff again tonight, rang tech support and they said the engineers are aware of congestion, but dont have a timeline for when it will be fixed. In other words it goes back to there list of things to fix and they wont think twice about it.

Fu_ckin Joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Congestion can take months and months to fix on smaller exchanges, usually they deal with larger exchanges within a few months at most.

I remember Xennon ran a campaign for around 8 months in 2010 to get the Inch exchange in Limerick upgraded .....it had less than 50mbits of backhaul for all the DSL users together.

But they did fix it, eventually.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Congestion can take months and months to fix on smaller exchanges, usually they deal with larger exchanges within a few months at most.

I remember Xennon ran a campaign for around 8 months in 2010 to get the Inch exchange in Limerick upgraded .....it had less than 50mbits of backhaul for all the DSL users together.

But they did fix it, eventually.

Its the bras in Waterford that's messing everything up AFAIK, I may be wrong. You can check my traces in previous posts in this thread.

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »

Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=129ms TTL=58
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=153ms TTL=58
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=143ms TTL=58
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=183ms TTL=58

Minimum = 83ms, Maximum = 153ms, Average = 127ms

Awesome stuff again tonight, rang tech support and they said the engineers are aware of congestion, but dont have a timeline for when it will be fixed. In other words it goes back to there list of things to fix and they wont think twice about it.

Fu_ckin Joke.

Hi nuxxx,

I have just called Technical Support on this issue. Unfortunately I don't have a further update, since your call into the Technical Support centre on Friday.

Your case has been assisgned to the engineering section. There is no definitive time for a resolution at the moment. It is a known issue and is listed as prioritised and to be dealt with. I understand this is fraustrating. As soon as there is more information,or a resolution, Techncal Support will advise you. If you want to PM your contact phone number also, I can contact you when I get more more information; or I can give you your case refernce, if you don't have this already.

As said, Technical Support will contact you as soon at this issue is resolved and you can also contact them directly if you require a further update :

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

Anyone else noticed some serious reduction in contention ratio lately in south Galway? I'm pretty much having the same problem as others. the quality has been very erratic. we had an engineer out around 2 weeks ago as we had a crossed line, (if the phone rang one of our neighbours phones rang at the same time and we had a three way conversation and vice versa, found out quite a bit about their medical issues but that's a different thread...) anyway he fixed the fault on the line but ever since my speed hasnt gotten over 1.5mb download. I've done the usual checks and just getting a bit annoyed with it now. Well the wife is getting even more annoyed so I need to get it fixed...anyone know the roll out plan for next gen in rural south Galway?

vanman99 wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed some serious reduction in contention ratio lately in south Galway? I'm pretty much having the same problem as others. the quality has been very erratic. we had an engineer out around 2 weeks ago as we had a crossed line, (if the phone rang one of our neighbours phones rang at the same time and we had a three way conversation and vice versa, found out quite a bit about their medical issues but that's a different thread...) anyway he fixed the fault on the line but ever since my speed hasnt gotten over 1.5mb download. I've done the usual checks and just getting a bit annoyed with it now. Well the wife is getting even more annoyed so I need to get it fixed...anyone know the roll out plan for next gen in rural south Galway?

Hi vanman99,

Thanks for your post.

Have you reported this to Broadband Technical Support?

If you haven't, if you PM your home phone, I can check this with them. I can also follow up on your Technical Support case history and see if there are any reports of similar or direct related issues in your location.

If you haven't called Technical Support before, and if you have an opportunity, please take a look at the eircom Forum and Broadband Checklist below. This may help and save time if a fault needs to be logged or excalated further by Technical Support.

eircom Forum - http://bit.ly/BBchecklist

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

Hi Eircom Ant, Did you get a chance to check my line??

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fergalharrison

Hi Fergal,

I am afraid there is no indication as to if or when the Kilnaleck exchange to be NGB enabled.

Thanks, Mark

Hi again.

is there any plans to allievate congestion or do any maintenence on the kilnaleck exchange? i've soldiered on with the erratic quality but im nearing the last of my patience now. using the cmd prompt to ping www.eircom.net i got a ping of 102 with 75% PACKET LOSS. This was at 10 o clock in the morning so there was no way there was 48 other people on the line at that time to affect the quality so poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭e-Mo0?

Had the same over the last few months, got an engineer out after a few phone calls. Engineer rang and said it was sorted, the first night it was ok, the next it was back to normal. Now it seems to be more random, happens about every other night.
    Tech support made a follow up call, I explained what was happening and was told that unstable ping and speeds are to be expected in the evenings. Funny because last year it was perfect and I've never had any problems with UPC in the evenings....

Would be wonderful if I had an alternative ISP in the sticks.

vanman99 wrote: »
    Hi Eircom Ant, Did you get a chance to check my line??

Hi vanman99,

Thanks for post. I have checked your case history with Technical Support and taken a look at your broadband connection. The sync and attainable rates look good. Currently it is connected on 2Mb and is showing solidly connected over eircom's authentication servers.

Your broadband is also defined as in an amber region. That is, your premises is about 3KM or further from the local exchange. If you're not aware, this will have a major impact on whether you can get a higher broadband speed than 2Mb. That said, there may be some room for improvement given your current attainable rates. You should call into Tech Support and seek their advice on whether they would suggest increasing your current broadband speed above 2Mb. I also see there is a case logged with Tech Support last year. Technical Support will need to look through your previous details before making any decisions on increasing your current broadband speed.

You are also getting a normal download speed of 1.5Mb and therefore I don't see any problems with your connection.

Technical Support wern't able to log on to your modem. It's possible you're using a third party router. If you are testing your connection again, try with your eircom modem if possible, as this will help rule out a problem with your own private router.

Apart from this, your connection and speeds look fine.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call time and help if you need to follow this up. Alternatively, let us know your case id and we can follow this up with Technical Support.

Kind regards,
    Ant

conn still bad every night. never heard anything back from eircom

conn still bad every night. never heard anything back from eircom

Hi nuxxx,

Thanks and apologies for the delay.

I have spoke with senior technical support reps, and have asked them to re-escalate your case to the engineers immediately.

They will investigate and report back to Technical Support. If you need an update at any time, please call into the Support Department, and just give your phone number as a reference.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call time and help if you need to follow up.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Hi again.

is there any plans to allievate congestion or do any maintenence on the kilnaleck exchange? i've soldiered on with the erratic quality but im nearing the last of my patience now. using the cmd prompt to ping www.eircom.net i got a ping of 102 with 75% PACKET LOSS. This was at 10 o clock in the morning so there was no way there was 48 other people on the line at that time to affect the quality so poorly.

Hi Fergal,

Thanks for your post and apologies for delay getting back to you.

I have no more information on your exchange upgrade to NGB, since Mark advised you on October:

Hi Fergal,

I am afraid there is no indication as to if or when the Kilnaleck exchange to be NGB enabled.

Thanks, Mark
    Date rec by Eircom: 17/10/2011

Technical Support have again looked at your broadband connection. They advise that your connection is categorised as amber with extended reach 2. Essentially this means that your broadband connection is considered over 2.5KM or more from the local exchange. Adsl is based on rate adaptive technology - and is distant dependent. There is never a guarantee that broadband can be provided in any instance, particularly in an area considered amber, as your own broadband connection is.

That said, I've checked your broadband connection. It appears solidly connected over our Auth (authentication) servers and is currently synced at 2Mb. In normal circumstances, 2Mb might be difficult to reach if the line is considered amber. However, your broadband attainables appear quite good and there may be room for some improvement in speed. Looking at it, I would say that your broadband connection may be able to increase to 3 or even 4Mb.

If you want to try this, please contact eircom Technical Support and ask them if this may be possible. They may say it's not possible or they may make a guarded decision and possibly ask you to monitor your connection over a weekend.

Tech Support have also logged on to your modem and done some diagnostic and ping tests. Your connection and the results obtained appear to be fine. They have noticed that you're using your own email @eircom.net address for you PPPoE login on the router. It is not too important, though they may suggest you hard reset the router in order to set it back to the eircom default settings; which in turn will rectify any changes you might have made (accidently) on the router, etc.

Just finally some notes on NGB and Adsl in general:
    *NGB (Next Generation Broadband) allows for uncongested and consistent usage (downloads) even during peak times. NGB is also a free upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to*24Mb in somecases) dependent on what your broadband phoneline pre-qualifies for.

*NGB (Next Generation Broadband) allows for uncongested and consistent usage (downloads) even during peak times. NGB is also a free upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to*24Mb in somecases) dependent on what your broadband phoneline pre-qualifies for.

ADSL itself is rate adaptive technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange.. Upgrading to NGB won't change the distance (or what your broadband connection pre-qualifies for). Please see www.ngb.ie for more information.

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call time and help if you need to follow up.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Ant

• Advertisement

400 ms tonight, nice to know 4 months later

a guy I haven't seen in years asked me for a game of UT, was looking forward to it

nah sorry bro, its 2012 and I have that ping on a Friday night

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fergalharrison

Hi Ant,

apologies for the delay in comin back to you,

my ping lately is still erratic, though not as bad as it was.
    you said that my line is synced at 2 mb but on my bill im paying for the 3mb package, should my line not be synced at 3mb already,

Hi Ant,

apologies for the delay in comin back to you,

my ping lately is still erratic, though not as bad as it was.
    you said that my line is synced at 2 mb but on my bill im paying for the 3mb package, should my line not be synced at 3mb already,

Thanks Fergal,

I've looked at your broadband connection. It's currently synced at 2Mb on eircom's standard home advanced package, up to 3Mb. The broadband attainable rates look quite good, despite your broadband line consided as an amber (Extended reach). That is your premises is 2.5KM or more from the local exchange. This will have a major inpact on your broadband being able to avail of higher broadband speeds.

Your broadband connection is showing up as very solid and therefore I have increased the speed from 2Mb up to the highest speed for your package, 3Mb. Please monitor your connection for intermittency. If you notice regular intermittent connections, let me know and I will lower the speed back down. Normally if your line is extended reach 2 or more, it may be unable to get the higher broadband speed for your package. This is why it is referred to a *up to 3Mb. Your attainable rates appear still to look fine, so I think this should be alright.

I see that you were using the incorrect PPPoE login. This is not imperative, though I've reset your modem just incase other settings were off set as well. I've changed your firewall back to low,and checked your wireless setup is still the same. You don't really need to change any other settings on the modem and once your firewall is set to low this will allow all the ports for most Games Consoles. If you want to stipulate XBox Live again on the Router Services, then please log on to the router interface : as follows :

Open Internet Browser and type in the Gateway IP into the Address bar :

Go to Expert Mode on the listed menu. Open up Configure and then choose Advanced. Select Nat and then choose XBox Live from the Services List. You shouldn't need to restart the modem after enabling your computer device - Ensure your own games computer or Console is on when enabling.

I hope this improves your connection. If you notice any difference let me know, and if you've any problems you can also contact Technical Support:

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up..

Best wishes,
    Ant

Note:ADSL is rate adaptive based technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange. That is, it is based on up to your your maximum broadband speed for your particular package. Upgrading won't change the distance or what your broadband connection pre-qualifies for. See www.eircom.net/Support for more information.

Pinging home.eircom.net [86.43.38.8] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=135ms TTL=58
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=124ms TTL=58
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=148ms TTL=58
    Reply from 86.43.38.8: bytes=32 time=132ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 86.43.38.8:
    Minimum = 124ms, Maximum = 148ms, Average = 134ms

C:\Users\XXXX>ping www.multiplay.co.uk

Pinging www.multiplay.co.uk [85.236.96.68] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 85.236.96.68: bytes=32 time=150ms TTL=54
    Reply from 85.236.96.68: bytes=32 time=156ms TTL=54
    Reply from 85.236.96.68: bytes=32 time=120ms TTL=54
    Reply from 85.236.96.68: bytes=32 time=171ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 85.236.96.68:
    Minimum = 120ms, Maximum = 171ms, Average = 149ms

Every single day

That is a major fault on my line and 4 months have passed. I never had any update from any Eircom employee. Just not acceptable at this day and age for major problems to be ignored.

Is anybody out there?
    It feels like I’m talkin to myself
    No one seems to know my struggle
    And everything I come from
    Can anybody hear me?
    I guess I keep talkin to myself
    It feels like I’m going insane
    Am I the one whose crazy?

Is anybody out there?
    It feels like I’m talkin to myself
    No one seems to know my struggle
    And everything I come from
    Can anybody hear me?
    I guess I keep talkin to myself
    It feels like I’m going insane
    Am I the one whose crazy?

Hi nuxxx,

I am sorry if you felt you were being ignored.

I am afraid there has been no further information / indication as to when your exchange may be NGB enabled. As NGB roll-out is the implemented plan to improve broadband connection and combat congestion nationwide. I can't currently advise of a resolution to your issue.

I know it is frustrating, however eircom also want to try and provide some measure of fixed line broadband to as many customers within and exchange (That what to avail of the service and assuming there line qualifies for the broadband service)

One of the resulting factors is congestion, but if and when we have any information regarding the exchange we will let you know.

Thanks, Mark

Hi nuxxx,

I am sorry if you felt you were being ignored.

I am afraid there has been no further information / indication as to when your exchange may be NGB enabled. As NGB roll-out is the implemented plan to improve broadband connection and combat congestion nationwide. I can't currently advise of a resolution to your issue.

I know it is frustrating, however eircom also want to try and provide some measure of fixed line broadband to as many customers within and exchange (That what to avail of the service and assuming there line qualifies for the broadband service)

One of the resulting factors is congestion, but if and when we have any information regarding the exchange in Kilkenny we will let you know.

Thanks, Mark

Do you have a number to log a fault. In fairness I waited over 4 months which I think is reasonable on my part. I understand that congestion should affect my download speeds and what not. However I don't think that the ability to play online with a semi stable ping should come into it. This goes for other applications such as skype, teamspeak, messaging programs aswell as slow load times on web pages. We pay 80 euro every two months for this service which is alot of money for a sub standard DSL connection. I live about 30 seconds from the local exchange. There isn't enough bandwidth for this small village and it isn't fair.

Thanks.

Edit: I'd also appreciate if you didn't post my exact location on a public forum.

Do you have a number to log a fault. In fairness I waited over 4 months which I think is reasonable on my part. I understand that congestion should affect my download speeds and what not. However I don't think that the ability to play online with a semi stable ping should come into it. This goes for other applications such as skype, teamspeak, messaging programs aswell as slow load times on web pages. We pay 80 euro every two months for this service which is alot of money for a sub standard DSL connection. I live about 30 seconds from the local exchange. There isn't enough bandwidth for this small village and it isn't fair.

Thanks.

Edit: I'd also appreciate if you didn't post my exact location on a public forum.

Hi nuxxx,

I am afraid as we have escalated the issue a few times previously. The resolution was congestion within the exchange.

Which means until the exchange is upgraded for NGB there is no interim fix. Again I completely understand the frustration but if there is no immediate resolution, so sending of another escalation will result in the same outcome.

Thanks, Mark

Hi nuxxx,

I am afraid as we have escalated the issue a few times previously. The resolution was congestion within the exchange.

Which means until the exchange is upgraded for NGB there is no interim fix. Again I completely understand the frustration but if there is no immediate resolution, so sending of another escalation will result in the same outcome.

Thanks, Mark

Will you please remove my location from your previous post, I don't think my exchange will ever be NGB enabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭jojo86

UGH!! Eircom!!! In February, eircom were called about a problem that was there since January... Speeds shocking, kept getting disconnected. Got a useless engineer out who knew S.F.A about anything. Got given one of the new routers which was shocking bad, the wifi on the new routers is brutal. So we went back to old router, the issue would be resolved for a few hours then back again disconnecting. Phone call after phone call, engineer after engineer finally mid march it stopped disconnecting. But the ping and speed is erratic and very unstable. Calling Eircom achieves nothing, the engineers don't know much and to be honest it's a joke. The quality of internet Eircom offer is terrible anyway, compared tot he quality offered in other countries. For 3mb to be considered good is a joke... NGB will only come to certain areas and is taking a lifetime to get there. If you live int he country just accept there will never be decent internet. It's absolutely shocking- hardly surprised Eircom are in trouble-they owned by Singapore telecom anyway so don't believe they Irish...useless

Advertisement