Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill mobile home site advice please

Options
  • 04-10-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi
    Im trying to find out about getting a mobile home site for a holiday home in salthill for two elderly relatives to spend some of their summer holidays in. They already have a mobile and just need a site as they will be moving it from existing site. They are originally from Galway it would be a dream come true to get a slot down there for their hols. However I know most parks will only take vans which are bought off the site owners etc... Does anyone have any advice/contacts or experience of mobile home sites in the Salthill area particulary O Hallorans or Bayview. They have approached the owners over previous years but to no avail as they are not looking to buy a mobile - just to bring in their own mobile. I know its a long shot but It just seems so hard to break into the area and Im just trying to see if any fellow boardsies could give me some advice on this.

Thanks a mill!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was looking at www.salthillcaravanpark.com and it states
    Open from April to 26th September. All phone lines open from 8am to 10pm daily. ... Salthill Caravan Park is Galway’s premier caravan and camping park and is very popular with mobile homes, Touring Caravans, Camper Vans and Camping.
    Sounds like bringing your own mobile home shouldn't be an issue?

In Motorhomes forum Salthill is mentioned so they'd know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

i know from past experience working in a caravan park in Galway that space was always a limiter and reason for premium prices.

It used to be the case that there was a waiting list for bringing in a mobile and that it only ever arose when an existing tennant decided to move.

I would suggest you talk to the people who would transfer the mobile home onsite, they would have a better idea of how to approach the caravan park owners and might also give you a better idea of what will be involved in getting to place one there.

apart from that theres a caravan park in Spiddal but maybe its too far out for your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

This whole industry has undergone a big change in the past few years. No longer are people paying 7K plus per year on a certain Co. Galway caravan sites. Also people are not willing to spend 30-40K on a brand new mobile home bought from a supplier specified by the site owner (who gets a nice cut on it).

They are bound to be changing customers each year for the permanent pitches. I would just bite the bullet and give each of them a call. From visiting alot of caravan parks around the country - by the look of the mobile homes in the Salthill parks the requirements are not too strict (or else the clients have been there a long time).

Both O'Hallorans and Salthill Park seem to be very keen for business this season. When you call them, find out when the 2012 fees are due and then call them again around this time to see if anyone has left (if they are full)..

If they put a big constraint on buying a new mobile through them offer them a few quid (if you really want in) instead as an "entrance fee" payment. They'll make their cut and you will get the existing mobile home in.

Best of luck with it...

D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭shamu2new

Hi
    Thanks so much for the replies - will check out spiddal - it is a bit far out but beggars cant be choosers.
    Hadnt thought of the Entrance Fee idea - will have that to fall back on too now - thanks so much!
    I called them over the last three years - last call being in person in the middle of the summer - but I think I will take a drive down again now given its this time of the season and try again - will try out the "entrance fee" approach - fingers crossed - this really means a lot to those involved and its something weve tried to do for a good few years.
    Im not sure yet which mover we would be using but will look at that route too - thanks everyone - appreciate you taking the time to reply here!

Advertisement