Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teat Sealers

• 04-10-2011 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

anyone have any experience with teat sealers. have never used them before but thinking of using it this year.
    any particular brands
    tips etc
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

I've used Boviseal and Osmonds, no difference.

Some say they split them especially with smaller teats, I don't. No real tips, just dont put in too far, maybe squeeze the top of the teat to prevent it going up. Defiantly worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 melly

We used boviseal (€139 for 30 cows)with cepravin dc for the first time this year. With the quota situation we wanted to cull all empty cows and of course these have buckets of milk. Used the sealers with the dry cow, straw and restricted water for a week. They have dried up great and are back on grass with a few days. Good job i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

was looking around the internet for information, and a few places said it was for cows with scc <200,000, is this because it is more effective with low scc or will high scc lead to problems when teat is sealed

dar31 wrote: »
    was looking around the internet for information, and a few places said it was for cows with scc <200,000, is this because it is more effective with low scc or will high scc lead to problems when teat is sealed

I'm guessing that for use without ordinary dry cow tubes. Sealers do nothing put prevent dirt and bugs entering. You'll still need dry cow tubes for high scc cows. I use both on all cows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Been using osmonds for as long as i can remember and always got on well with them. A lot of lads in the discussion groups are using them too.
    I remember when they first came out and the vets told us they were a waste of time and money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

dar31 wrote: »
    I was talking to the guy with Osmonds at the ploughing and he said young cows with low sccs just need the sealant at drying off but high scc cows need dry cow tubes and sealant and preferably a long dry off period. As jeff said, the seal only stops dirt getting in. If the buggers are already inside then you will probably need dry cow tubes to get rid of them before the cow starts bagging up again.

I will probably use the teat seal this year for the first time and try to get the scc down for the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

there was an issue down our way
    with one of the brands of sealer leaving a residue which showed up as black specs in the cheese after 6 months

Heard that too, some coops in the UK sent out letters about using them correctly, it can linger but the filter should catch it anyway :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi Dar31, I presume you are dairy farming? If you are suckling I wouldn't advise you to use a sealer. It can be hard for calves to get a suck after sealer has been used on the cow.
    Depends on what you do after a cow calves, do you milk the cow and feed/tube the calf, or do you let the calf suckle for a few days? You just need to be aware that if you use a sealer then you have to feed the calf colostrum.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Hi Dar31, I presume you are dairy farming? If you are suckling I wouldn't advise you to use a sealer. It can be hard for calves to get a suck after sealer has been used on the cow.
    Depends on what you do after a cow calves, do you milk the cow and feed/tube the calf, or do you let the calf suckle for a few days? You just need to be aware that if you use a sealer then you have to feed the calf colostrum.

I know sucklers aren't as docile but I just strip it out after she calves and let the calf suck then, it would be hard for a calve to get it out alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I know sucklers aren't as docile but I just strip it out after she calves and let the calf suck then, it would be hard for a calve to get it out alright.

Ya, that means you have to be there to make sure the calf sucks, don't think dar 31 is suckling though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kenny d

We have been using the Osmonds teat seals for years and have found them to be A1. We usually do the first lactation animals with the seal only while everything else gets dry cow tube + teat seal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

went to a DEP meeting today and the advisor said to be careful using some teat sealers. Most dry cow tubes are oil based and one teat sealer is water based and its not supposed to work as well with oil based sealers.

Also the osmonds 1 2 (?) sealer has shown up black spots in cheese made after 6 months so you may have to use a filter all year, if you dont already

Advertisement