Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music PR Companies

• 04-10-2011 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello there,

Can anyone recommend good music pr companies that have helped with your album/single release?

Thanks a lot,

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭NickMondo

I'd echo this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Be wary of what "music PR" companies offer you. There is a lot you can do yourself, and obviously a PR company should be able to help out where you can't, or use their contacts to get you in front of people you wouldn't be able to do yourself.

Any of the regional/local radio stations, you should be able to get on to these yourself. If a PR company asks you for money to get you on Kildare FM or whatever, a waste of money. You can do that yourself by picking up the phone etc.

You may be able to even get on a national show, but this is where the PR company should be doing the work. National press and national radio.

Same with gigs. A lot of venues in Ireland, you can get the gigs yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

seachto7 wrote: »
    Be wary of what "music PR" companies offer you. There is a lot you can do yourself, and obviously a PR company should be able to help out where you can't, or use their contacts to get you in front of people you wouldn't be able to do yourself.

Any of the regional/local radio stations, you should be able to get on to these yourself. If a PR company asks you for money to get you on Kildare FM or whatever, a waste of money. You can do that yourself by picking up the phone etc.

You may be able to even get on a national show, but this is where the PR company should be doing the work. National press and national radio.

Same with gigs. A lot of venues in Ireland, you can get the gigs yourself.

I did some work with a pr company, what you find is bands don't know what to do and also don't want to do it. its not as easy as sending an email or picking up the phone to get on regional radio due to what the radio station wants on its airwaves.

its a lot about who you know for nationals, actually nearly all. i worked with a company that had contacts in all the national and regional stations and it was alway hard to get on. All I'm saying is, don't expect to get a pr company and think job done, its not.

Also most bands have day jobs which can be havoc for in station interviews and live plays. it takes a lot of commitment from both sides, its should be just about financial gain for either party at a low level. There is no, or at least very little one hit wonders.

Be aware of pr companies that charge retainers also. I would be more on the line of pay what you get. 100 for 4 regional, 200 for national radio, 300 for tv, something like that. it will also help stop pr companies just mass posting/emailing your stuff to radios. it deserves the effort if its being paid for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I work in PR. There's always a misunderstanding as to what PR can achieve for bands. You have to be newsworthy, visually engaging etc. I think in most cases you need a decent budget, a decent narrative and a few hooks. What's also key is you need to be willing to advertise and have a proper endpoint for the coverage - i.e. a release, a tour etc. The music itself probably doesn't matter a whole lot sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭cordragza

I work in PR. There's always a misunderstanding as to what PR can achieve for bands. You have to be newsworthy, visually engaging etc. I think in most cases you need a decent budget, a decent narrative and a few hooks. What's also key is you need to be willing to advertise and have a proper endpoint for the coverage - i.e. a release, a tour etc. The music itself probably doesn't matter a whole lot sadly.

Spot on! you need to have something to sell, otherwise it's pointless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement