Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving and electricity providers

Options
  • 04-10-2011 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Moving into a new place at the moment. Still have a few weeks left on the lease in the old place. We're with ESB for electricity in the old place and the landlord is with Bord Gais for electricity in the new place.

Can I sign up with Bord Gais for electricity in the new place without changing providers in the old place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 potterycourse

Maybe that wasn't so clear.

I'm asking if putting my name on my new landlord's Bord Gais electricity account necessitates changing from ESB to BG at my old address? (have some time left on the lease)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SligoLady

You can be registered at both addresses with different providers at the same time. Although, Bord Gais will treat you as a 'new' tenant and ask for a security deposit or for you to pay your bills by direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 potterycourse

I see. Do you think they'd still ask for a security deposit when we've already paid one for their gas service from last year?

Do you think it would be asking for trouble to change providers in the old place so soon before finishing up?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SligoLady

I see. Do you think they'd still ask for a security deposit when we've already paid one for their gas service from last year?

Do you think it would be asking for trouble to change providers in the old place so soon before finishing up?

I think all the providers ask for a deposit from tenants until you've built up a certain length of credit history with them, for example ESB will need to have 14 months continuous good credit history before they waive the deposit. Not sure about Bord Gais or Airtricity but I reckon it's a similar length of time. If you go direct debit with any of the providers, you won't have to pay the deposit though.
    If you change providers, it takes 20 working days for the change to come into effect although it will be backdated to the day you contact them. So if you're leaving your old place in less then a month, I wouldn't bother changing because it might cause hassle when you go to cancel the account or when the landlord tries to register it back to his name.
    Also, it's worth mentioning that Airtricity and Bord Gais are both very quick to disconnect a property that isn't registered so ALWAYS tell your landlord or agent if you've cancelled the account in your name so they can register the account in their name and avoid over €100 reconnection fee :)

Advertisement