Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

go up north or wales for shopping?

• 04-10-2011 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Not sure which shopping trip to take before Christmas. Up to Northern Ireland or to Cheshire Oaks. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Depends on what you are looking for. If its for something different, cheshire oaks, if its for saving money, neither as there's no descernible difference anymore except for the likes of debenhams.

Check out kildare village if you want decent outlet shopping. The place in northern Ireland has had a huge number of closures this year and is half empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

foxy06 wrote: »
    Not sure which shopping trip to take before Christmas. Up to Northern Ireland or to Cheshire Oaks. Any recommendations?

Cheshire Oaks is in England, not Wales. Though it's close to the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

A lot of the stores in Banbridge have shut as one of the other posters said, though Junction One is still pretty bustling. The value isn't as good these days though with the exchange rate and prices in general have risen up North at least. Cheshire Oaks might be better if you want to make a mini holiday out of your shopping trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's most if not all of the UK highstreet names up north, should be more of a saving going up there as prices are the same across the UK in these shops. I'd say go as far as Belfast if your after clothing or more luxury items, the likes of Newry or Lisburn are fine for groceries.

Would a trip to Wales/England not cost around €200 return on the boat with your car meaning you would need to be spending over a thousand to just break even?

There's most if not all of the UK highstreet names up north, should be more of a saving going up there as prices are the same across the UK in these shops. I'd say go as far as Belfast if your after clothing or more luxury items, the likes of Newry or Lisburn are fine for groceries.

There are no saving on groceries and in many cases prices in the north are higher.

About 3 weeks ago, I dropped by the big sainburys in lisburn (on way back from ballycastle where some family still reside) and at 4pm there wer 6 southern registered cars in the car park. (it used to be hundreds - even the girl on the till said its rare to hear the southern accent these days)

I ent into the store with herself to get beers (the type I can't get down here) and we looked at the general prices and there was nothing whatsoever attractive about the prices and found quite a few higher than dunnes/tesco down here.

On the clothing front - some are still taking the piss, but majority are within 5%. Next, Coast, Karen Millen, Oasis, Top Shop, Topman, River Island are all very very close to the prices in Dublin. As I said Debenhams still are in 1.50 land on many things, but a lot of concessions within debenhams are near identical.

What is good is there is a lot of different style in Belfast and some great independent stores - same with cheshire / liverpool.

So don't go looking for bargains - you'll be very disapointed, but if its a little weekend away a little retail therapy will do no harm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'd say go as far as Belfast if your after clothing or more luxury items

+1 on this

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

maxer68 wrote: »
    Depends on what you are looking for. If its for something different, cheshire oaks, if its for saving money, neither as there's no descernible difference anymore except for the likes of debenhams.

Check out kildare village if you want decent outlet shopping. The place in northern Ireland has had a huge number of closures this year and is half empty.

I'd normally advocate spending your money at home, but Kildare Village is a joke. The prices in most places aren't in line with the real world. Only Levi's had anything resembling a bargain. I found between Banbridge, Newry and Belfast there were some pretty good bargains to be had. The Gap in Banbridge in particular was good.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I'd normally advocate spending your money at home, but Kildare Village is a joke. The prices in most places aren't in line with the real world. Only Levi's had anything resembling a bargain. I found between Banbridge, Newry and Belfast there were some pretty good bargains to be had. The Gap in Banbridge in particular was good.

Kildare Village aims at a totally different market than Banbridge. Can you show me anywhere you can get a ralph lauren shirt for €39.99? or Lacoste sweater for €45 or LK Bennet current season ladies boots for €145? Asics runners for €35, Nike for €30, "Seven" jeans for €129 (sound high, but thy're €200+ elsewhere), Molton Brown body wash for €12.50, Tommy Hilfiger jeans for €70.

It may be mostly out of price range for the person on a budget, but for the quality and the brands, it quite unbeatable and always packed at the weekends.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Kildare Village aims at a totally different market than Banbridge. Can you show me anywhere you can get a ralph lauren shirt for €39.99? or Lacoste sweater for €45 or LK Bennet current season ladies boots for €145? Asics runners for €35, Nike for €30, "Seven" jeans for €129 (sound high, but thy're €200+ elsewhere), Molton Brown body wash for €12.50, Tommy Hilfiger jeans for €70.

It may be mostly out of price range for the person on a budget, but for the quality and the brands, it quite unbeatable and always packed at the weekends.

I certainly didn't see any Asics mens runners for less than €90 in Kildare. Not bad for Asics, but can be got cheaper in sports shops around the cities. I didn't check Nike for runners because their store is abysmal. They have literally half the stuff Banbridge had, even though the shop appeared roughly the same size. We did spend money in Belfast, it wasn't so much looking for cheap stuff, more looking for different. Reebok was ok in KV, but their stuff is generally cheap enough anyway. Definitely better value and selection up North for Ted Baker, LK Bennett, Karen Millen (according to the wife) and more. Certainly KV is a disappointment after seeing Outlet Stores in the US. I wouldn't waste my time calling in again.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I certainly didn't see any Asics mens runners for less than €90 in Kildare. Not bad for Asics, but can be got cheaper in sports shops around the cities. I didn't check Nike for runners because their store is abysmal. They have literally half the stuff Banbridge had, even though the shop appeared roughly the same size. We did spend money in Belfast, it wasn't so much looking for cheap stuff, more looking for different. Reebok was ok in KV, but their stuff is generally cheap enough anyway. Definitely better value and selection up North for Ted Baker, LK Bennett, Karen Millen (according to the wife) and more. Certainly KV is a disappointment after seeing Outlet Stores in the US. I wouldn't waste my time calling in again.

plenty of asics in the €50 - €70 bracket (there were last weekend) - Nike in Kidare hasn't done very well and the store was halved in size a few months ago. KV attracts the more affluent shopper who want to spend €100 instead of €200 on a pair of shoes (or in case of TODS pure snakeskin, €600 instead of €5,500!!!:eek:)

In terms of Ted Baker, KMillen & LK Bennett - I suppose it depends on when you visit the stores. LK do have a much bigger shop in Banbridge whereas Kmillen in Kildare is operated by the Irish Franchise holder and would have a different range than belfast anyway. Ted Baker is just far too small in KV and impossible to move in.

Problem for banbridge is you've basically mentioned all the half decent stores ther and with the exception of Timberland there's nothing of note for men.

As for the USA, there is one very important difference - most of the goods in USA outlet stores are made for outlets stores and in many cases will have lower quality materials or are different in design and make-up to what is in the standard USA stores. In Europe this is not permitted by eu law and all product in all european outlet stores must be the standard product unless it specifically says "Made for Outlet". http://financiallyfit.yahoo.com/finance/article-111184-7265-1-10-things-outlet-malls-wont-tell-you

btw - I acted as UK/Ire brand manager for major footwear label that had over 100 factory outlet stores in USA and the difference in quality between factory store product and product sold in UK was substantial.

• Advertisement

plenty of asics in the €50 - €70 bracket (there were last weekend) - Nike in Kidare hasn't done very well and the store was halved in size a few months ago. KV attracts the more affluent shopper who want to spend €100 instead of €200 on a pair of shoes (or in case of TODS pure snakeskin, €600 instead of €5,500!!!:eek:)

In terms of Ted Baker, KMillen & LK Bennett - I suppose it depends on when you visit the stores. LK do have a much bigger shop in Banbridge whereas Kmillen in Kildare is operated by the Irish Franchise holder and would have a different range than belfast anyway. Ted Baker is just far too small in KV and impossible to move in.

Problem for banbridge is you've basically mentioned all the half decent stores ther and with the exception of Timberland there's nothing of note for men.

As for the USA, there is one very important difference - most of the goods in USA outlet stores are made for outlets stores and in many cases will have lower quality materials or are different in design and make-up to what is in the standard USA stores. In Europe this is not permitted by eu law and all product in all european outlet stores must be the standard product unless it specifically says "Made for Outlet". http://financiallyfit.yahoo.com/finance/article-111184-7265-1-10-things-outlet-malls-wont-tell-you

btw - I acted as UK/Ire brand manager for major footwear label that had over 100 factory outlet stores in USA and the difference in quality between factory store product and product sold in UK was substantial.

Yes, Banbridge could do with some more shops, its a fine place. Timberland is very disappointing, but I found the ones in the States poor enough too. Overpriced for what it is. I don't know about lower quality in the outlets in the US, though, I've a couple of pairs of Levis now getting holes in them after 6 years!! Bought in Levis Woodbury Common, and even though they are made in Colombia, Venezuala etc, they ladies in the shop said all levis USA stock is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

While it's nowhere near as good as it used to be (rip the Puma and Joseph outlets) - I find there's good stuff for men in Jaeger (you don't have to like golf, pipe or slippers to appreciate their clothes!), Autograph in M&S (usually something for men, sod all for women), Vans, and the Designer Outlet (Armani and Armani Exchange mostly). Joseph used to have fantastic bargains for men.

I can't see the Vans outlet surviving there much longer though - it's usually dead when I'm in. Can't see how they're making any profit.

Advertisement