Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 Repair Mess up

Options
  • 04-10-2011 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

In the middle of trying to remove the x clamps from the board of a 360 im trying to repair i scraped off some really small chips from the board.

Iv attached an image showing what chips i mean.

Do you guys know if its completely screwed now or still worth repairing the RROD?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

mossy464 wrote: »
    Hi lads,

In the middle of trying to remove the x clamps from the board of a 360 im trying to repair i scraped off some really small chips from the board.

Do you guys know if its completely screwed now or still worth repairing the RROD?

Thanks

I'd say its fecked..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

bryaner wrote: »
    I'd say its fecked..

Ah well, its just an old one i had lying around anyway so not too bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Ah well, its just an old one i had lying around anyway so not too bothered.

I might have a mobo knocking about, I'll let you know tomorrow if your interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Hi lads,

Thanks

They look like capacitors easy enough to replace with a heat gun and some flux, find a scrap motherboard and just remove them and reflow them to the broken motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

if thats xenon board I wouldn't bother tbh. To much work in resoldering caps + RROD fix

• Advertisement

docentore wrote: »
    if thats xenon board I wouldn't bother tbh. To much work in resoldering caps + RROD fix

If it's a jtaggable board then it's definitely worth salvaging, simple enough repair to with the right equipment and know how, how many caps are you missing OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I never had any trouble with my xenon JTAG when my first and only attempt at one of those hybrid fixes was removed. The padded shim that sits under the board allows the capacitors to dig into it, and when you remove the shim you'll tear the caps off.

I removed quite a few from various rows, never had an issue. You might have an issue because a whole row was removed, most of those are only backups - a certain failure/tolerance rate may be expected :)

justryan wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Thanks

They look like capacitors easy enough to replace with a heat gun and some flux, find a scrap motherboard and just remove them and reflow them to the broken motherboard.

When I said heat gun I meant a rework station heat gun or wand with temperature control I'm not talking about the DIY kind

justryan wrote: »
    When I said heat gun I meant a rework station heat gun or wand with temperature control I'm not talking about the DIY kind

Ya, I dont think I would have the patience or the skills to tackle this but if I can find another mobo id like to get the console back working again.

Any good sources for mobos? Looked on ebay alrite and there are a few.

Does it actually not work?

• Advertisement

Well its got the RROD, thats why I opened it up in the first place to repair that problem.

But when I was taking off the xclamps I scraped off some of the small little chips on the board.

Well its got the RROD, thats why I opened it up in the first place to repair that problem.

But when I was taking off the xclamps I scraped off some of the small little chips on the board.

Don't bother replacing the caps until you fix the RROD using whatever method you were going to use. As I said, I scraped numerous off before, no harm done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

I have got spare xenon motherboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Theres no point trying to replace the little caps if the pads there attached to are gone,
    Which they more than likely are if you ripped them off by accident.
    Try and fix the rrod and see if it will work.
    But since theres a whole row gone I wouldn't be holding my breath.
    Just my thoughts on it.

Theres no point trying to replace the little caps if the pads there attached to are gone,
    Which they more than likely are if you ripped them off by accident.
    Try and fix the rrod and see if it will work.
    But since theres a whole row gone I wouldn't be holding my breath.
    Just my thoughts on it.

Good point, OP can you take a picture of the damage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Aksierra

I too did the same type of mistake yesterday. I only ended up removing one of the little caps/diodes? Does anyone know what the one by R2R6 on the mobo does? I took it apart to attempt a reflow, I have code 0110 now. Which has to do with ram if I'm correct. Could this little chip be the problem?

Yeah 0110 can be either ram or a missing component.
    But since you know for sure you knocked a resistor off I'd say thats your problem.

it sucks when that happens.
    I once knocked one of the little caps off of the top of an xbox gpu before,
    The solder hadn't cooled fully and I was cleaning around the chip and my hand slipped :mad:
    But luckily I was able to reattach it and the xbox booted up fine :cool:

Yeah 0110 can be either ram or a missing component.
    But since you know for sure you knocked a resistor off I'd say thats your problem.

it sucks when that happens.
    I once knocked one of the little caps off of the top of an xbox gpu before,
    The solder hadn't cooled fully and I was cleaning around the chip and my hand slipped :mad:
    But luckily I was able to reattach it and the xbox booted up fine :cool:
    Do you happen to know what resistance it should be? If I cannot get this thing reattached I could always get an aftermarket resistor and attach that.

Aksierra wrote: »
    Do you happen to know what resistance it should be? If I cannot get this thing reattached I could always get an aftermarket resistor and attach that.

havent a clue to be honest
    Just pull one from a scrap board if you have one.
    Are the solder pads still there ?

havent a clue to be honest
    Just pull one from a scrap board if you have one.
    Are the solder pads still there ?
    Yeah solder pads are still there. I don't have a spare board either :/

• Advertisement

I attempted to reconnect the old resistor, but I don't think it took.

Im going to give a go of repairing the RROD anyway and see what error I have. Assuming I really messed up the board by knocking off some of those caps I will be looking for a mobo?

Anyone have a spare knocking about?

Im going to give a go of repairing the RROD anyway and see what error I have. Assuming I really messed up the board by knocking off some of those caps I will be looking for a mobo?

Anyone have a spare knocking about?

Anyone have a spare mobo?

What's your board type?

What's your board type?

I think its Xenon but I will have to double check when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I think its Xenon but I will have to double check when I get home.

I have scrap Xenon board if you want. I'm in Dublin 3

Advertisement