Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIVELINE Thread - (05/10/11 to 14/02/2012)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Wertz wrote: »
    Wash your mouth out.

Ah it is though.

Its the nonsense surrounding it on Liveline that annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Me too...god I hope he covers it early.

What country is the eiffel tower in? really?

[edit] I don't think I'm going to make it... urge to kill radio...rising...

The questions are ridiculous. I dont understand why it could not be a 'hard' question.

There is a very good chance that there is a person who knows they bought that ticket but also knows it got lost, and are listening to this fuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

To be fair I think it has to be piss easy so it's not a game of skill, but a game of chance (ie everyone knows the answer so it's everyone in the hat) so as to conform to gaming legislation. It's the way Mooney gets on as if it's a starter for ten on UC.

This lottery woman is gettin' on my nerves... you really expect us to believe that shopkeepers in some place wouldn't check the CCTV back if they sold a winner?
    All this free advertising...I'm sure it's the least RTÉ can do for having their saturday primetime slot sorted for the last 10 yrs.

To be fair I think it has to be piss easy so it's not a game of skill, but a game of chance (ie everyone knows the answer so it's everyone in the hat) so as to conform to gaming legislation. It's the way Mooney gets on as if it's a starter for ten on UC.

This lottery woman is gettin' on my nerves... you really expect us to believe that shopkeepers in some place wouldn't check the CCTV back if they sold a winner?
    All this free advertising...I'm sure it's the least RTÉ can do for having their saturday primetime slot sorted for the last 10 yrs.

How would a shopkeeper know which person bought which ticket? :confused:

• Advertisement

Must be the most covered song in the world.

Perhaps the NL doesn't always feedback info on when/how much the ticket was sold until a good bit later on, after the draw... but I've definitely seen where the very next day after a big win the reporters are camped outside which ever shop sold it asking locals for gossip. If the town was small enough you could at least narrow it down.

Oh ffs, it's not even december...and it's not the Pogues version *click*

syklops wrote: »
    Must be the most covered brutally murdered song in the world.

Sorry Syklops, I had to fix that.

Lapin wrote: »
    Ah it is though.

Its the nonsense surrounding it on Liveline that annoys me.

Ah yeah Foiver Froiday is a great idea... the monthly Noel Kelly benefit concert not so much...

Ah yeah Foiver Froiday is a great idea... the monthly Noel Kelly benefit concert not so much...

Well the whole concept of Fiver Friday as I understood it was to encourage people to shop locally and support small business. That is something I would advocate.

However on todays programme Joe spoke at length to the boss of a large chain of carpet shops in Dublin and allowed him to list the location of each one and then gave him the airtime to announce that he is selling rugs for a fiver.

Its a bargain alrite but they can afford to undercut the independent carpet dealer down the road who cannot possibly compete with such offers. I think this defeats the whole purpose of Fiver Friday.

The concept was good when it applied to small businesses struggling to keep afloat. Liveline (and Joe) being hijacked by Bargaintown for a plugfest after a bit of small talk about the rare oul times makes a mockery of it. Joe was well sucked in by that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Well the whole concept of Fiver Friday as I understood it was to encourage people to shop locally and support small business. That is something I would advocate.

However on todays programme Joe spoke at length to the boss of a large chain of carpet shops in Dublin and allowed him to list the location of each one and then gave him the airtime to announce that he is selling rugs for a fiver.

Its a bargain alrite but they can afford to undercut the independent carpet dealer down the road who cannot possibly compete with such offers. I think this defeats the whole purpose of Fiver Friday.

The concept was good when it applied to small businesses struggling to keep afloat. Liveline (and Joe) being hijacked by Bargaintown for a plugfest after a bit of small talk about the rare oul times makes a mockery of it. Joe was well sucked in by that one.

Also, one of the main justifications for Joe's enormous salary from the state broadcaster is that he is a huge draw for advertisers given his listenership. If he is giving away free advertising, why should the big guys keep advertising on Liveline?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I found the woman talking about her father's alzheimers extremely moving and it made me think about what I would do if my parents were in that position. I think, and hope, it might have done some good, encouraged others to think about how they can help people they might know who are experiencing such circumstances. As the woman herself said, her own mother thought there was a stigma about the disease. And the woman whose husband fell through the cracks in the system because of early-onset - that deserves to be highlighted.

That's one of the functions of Liveline, to me, giving people a voice who would not otherwise have one. So I disagree with the people who say that's not what Liveline's 'for'. Liveline's for people to ring in and talk about whatever they want - it's not there to entertain us cynics here!

That's a fair point annyhalsal, but Duffy should be driving it in that direction and he doesn't seem to, he sits back and lets people ramble on... there doesn't seem to be a point or a focus in what they're talking about (I'm aware there is a point and dementia is a huge issue), it's just complaining that someone isn't doing something, or that the services are lacking; something we're all well aware of and have to get used to as we all grow older.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

That's a fair point annyhalsal, but Duffy should be driving it in that direction and he doesn't seem to, he sits back and lets people ramble on... there doesn't seem to be a point or a focus in what they're talking about (I'm aware there is a point and dementia is a huge issue), it's just complaining that someone isn't doing something, or that the services are lacking; something we're all well aware of and have to get used to as we all grow older.

That's true, Wertz. He did let all the interviews drift aimlessly, and there was a lot of repetition.

Bizarre story on drivetime about a doctor who demanded payment in jewellery before he would look at a sick child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Bizarre story on drivetime about a doctor who demanded payment in jewellery before he would look at a sick child.

What's even more bizarre is that this story happened in 2006 and was dealt with but is only coming out now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I'm baffled here listening to it... And to compound it... The incident happened in 2006 in James Reilly's Surgery... (not the man himself but another doctor)... tbh, you would think that the woman would just be grateful that the State was paying for her child's care, albeit if they were a little inappropriate about verifying her credentials, which she DIDNT bring with her .. I mean this wouldnt have happened if she'd brought the damned card, is she not accepting any responsibility for that..

Seems very strange and possibly politically motivated that she should bring up this story now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

dulpit wrote: »
    Bothar ad :mad:

Update: Lyons Tea ad :mad: :mad:

Oh god, that frakking Bothar ad, that camel's fake accent makes me want to hit things

Demonique wrote: »
    Oh god, that frakking Bothar ad, that camel's fake accent makes me want to hit things

What kind of an accent does a camel usually have ?

.............................:pac:

What kind of an accent does a camel usually have ?

.............................:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone recognise the barman?

its john...of john & mary from Father Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Heard on 10pm newwstalk news bulletin mini dev asking pat rabbite in the dail if he would force rte to cut the pay to its high earning employees and contractors. Hope joe heard that and did a little dirty stain in the back of his "contractor" yfronts

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

fryup wrote: »
    anyone recognise the barman?

its john...of john & mary from Father Ted

They should be done for misleading advertising. Great tasting beer my ass. Im sure that camel had been involved in the brewing of any harp I ever drank in my youth

^ & ^^

Are you on the oul Harp at the moment Neris. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

I hope one of the newspapers quotes this Lapin, post of the week for me.

miketv wrote: »
    I hope one of the newspapers quotes this Lapin, post of the week for me.

"Wooonderful, wonderful, bar-illiant Lapin"..

Cmon lads, less of the backslapping.. Liveline will be on soon enough.. "well done, well done".. :D

According to someone on bargain alerts thread about FF, those rugs are like something you'd put out in the dog kennel and nothing to get excited about...
    FF seems to be being used by some to sell oul sh*te that they wouldn't normally be able to...
    The "homegrown" weed story doing the rounds might be right up Joe's alley today for a bit of the old propaganda... but it'll probably be back to alzheimers and service cutbacks.

According to someone on bargain alerts thread about FF, those rugs are like something you'd put out in the dog kennel and nothing to get excited about...
    FF seems to be being used by some to sell oul sh*te that they wouldn't normally be able to...
    The "homegrown" weed story doing the rounds might be right up Joe's alley today for a bit of the old propaganda... but it'll probably be back to alzheimers and service cutbacks.

It took me ages to figure out what you were on about. I kept reading FF as Fianna Fail, and then thinking to myself that it was Bargaintown offereng the carpets. Or was it Land of carpets? Neither has the initials FF. Are Fianna Fail selling carpets now? Or is it a slur at them, calling them carpet salesmen.

Then I realised you were talking about Fiver Friday.

Its been a long day. :(

I thought he was talking about Donie Cassidy..

• Advertisement

Fianna Fáil were never a bargain... although we probably should have been very alerted by them.

[edit] rofl Jon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement