Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIVELINE Thread - (05/10/11 to 14/02/2012)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

irishh_bob wrote: »
    you,d think it was the northern territory of australia they were discussing , this country is full of small towns with stations which are only open for a few days each week anyway , theese small towns are usually only three or four mile from larger towns so if you need a guard , its merley a case of waiting another five mins for the cops to arrive , as for this nonesense about needing a local copper to integrate themselves within the community , guards are not parish priests , only in a darby o gill movie , do they call round on thier bikes asking mrs o brien whether her cat is stuck up a tree

I'd say the guards get stuck into Mrs Ò Briens pussy in some of these boring towns :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Lambs slaughtered... not dealing with our own homegrown scumbags on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

This show is all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

kitsy13 wrote: »
    Gardai cant be in a union

GRA?

http://www.gra.cc/

Gardai cant be in a union

Representative authority then... a union in all but name. As public servants they're covered by the same remuneration boards as other public servanst who are covered by actual unions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Wertz wrote: »
    Listen I agree 100% with you, but even you can see that in times like these, crime will rise and especially in areas where the chances of being caught plummet due to lack of local officers... people at the very least deserve some protection from these vultures. Individual gardaí can't opt for a paycut...it's down to unions. Stuff like reservists are objected to by same unions...neighbourhood watch is grand and all but it's no deterrent to burglars and opportunists.

ever heard of the GRA , the guards have an unofficial union but they are not officially allowed to strike , as for the reserves, the GRA opposed the reserves as they saw them as being a threat to thier full time members , i.e , thier would be less over time available for full time garda :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kitsy13

joe316 wrote: »

Thats not a union, its a representative association, thats why guards cant go on strike, unions are forbidden

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Martin...nice Gaurd accent there ;)

Thats not a union, its a representative association, thats why guards cant go on strike, unions are forbidden

no need for semantics

haha not the mortgages for their investment and BTL properties they're not.

• Advertisement

any presenter worth his salt would point to the fact that guards are retiring on mass because thier are pension changes coming round the corner , no such luck with guard loving country boy damien

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

An objective review. Headed by yourself Martin no doubt.
    Are these guards being forced out? I thought it was that they are leaving to protect their current pension entitlements? Not clear on that.
    Is this what liveline is now? Anywhere there are cutbacks someone will ring in and complain about it, plead their special case?
    I'm afraid ringing Joe or Damo won't do much good. Storm the Daíl and see what the gardai reaction is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

How valuable are they? he just told you Damo! 10 grand.

im begining to miss uncle joe , damien is an uncle tom of the highest order

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThKBbz7ThkIAGVoPGhw8nNnQhbUUKLWNsiZYyqTNLoOtCsU1V3g4yNIj0btA

Storm the Daíl and see what the gardai reaction is.

Exactly.

Someone should ask Damo does he prefer grass or astroturf...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

you,d think it was the northern territory of australia they were discussing , this country is full of small towns with stations which are only open for a few days each week anyway , theese small towns are usually only three or four mile from larger towns so if you need a guard , its merley a case of waiting another five mins for the cops to arrive , as for this nonesense about needing a local copper to integrate themselves within the community , guards are not parish priests , only in a darby o gill movie , do they call round on thier bikes asking mrs o brien whether her cat is stuck up a tree

I was going to multi quote you but you didnt make it easy as that is all one sentence.
    this country is full of small towns with stations which are only open for a few days each week anyway
    So its ok to close them completely?
    , theese small towns are usually only three or four mile from larger towns

My hometown of Craughwell is one such village/town with no fulltime guard, and the barracks open 3 days a week until 4pm, is 10km from Athenry, 12km from Loughrea, 37km to Balinasloe and 15 km to Oranmore. It is quite densely populated compared to West Cork where that caller came from.
    its merley a case of waiting another five mins for the cops to arrive

This is the laughable part of your post. Even if you lived on store street in Dublin you would expect to wait longer than 5 mins for one to show up. Living 25 km from Galway city the two or three times we had to call a guard out it was an hour or more until they got someone out to us. Including the time when we disturbed the burglar.

what is our national costume , its certainly a question which keeps me up at night :mad:

syklops wrote: »
    I was going to multi quote you but you didnt make it easy as that is all one sentence.

So its ok to close them completely?

My hometown of Craughwell is one such village/town with no fulltime guard, and the barracks open 3 days a week until 4pm, is 10km from Athenry, 12km from Loughrea, 37km to Balinasloe and 15 km to Oranmore. It is quite densely populated compared to West Cork where that caller came from.

This is the laughable part of your post. Even if you lived on store street in Dublin you would expect to wait longer than 5 mins for one to show up. Living 25 km from Galway city the two or three times we had to call a guard out it was an hour or more until they got someone out to us. Including the time when we disturbed the burglar.

the fact that the guards usually arrive long after a crime has been committed , what difference does it make if they have to travel eight mile rather than four ?

we live in a sparsley populated country , we cant afford to have garda stations in every little village , most of the policing budget goes on paying our force more than 25% in excess of what they get in the uk

• Advertisement

The way we're going it'll be a deerskin and wooden shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

the fact that the guards usually arrive long after a crime has been committed , what difference does it make if they have to travel eight mile rather than four ?

Cos if they have to travel 4 miles instead of 8, they get there in half the time? :rolleyes:

You obviously missed my point. You also dont seem interested in engaging in the matter, only one-liners so I wont bother my arse and leave it there.

However I stand by my original comment.

Cos if they have to travel 4 miles instead of 8, they get there in half the time? :rolleyes:

so what , if a crime is committed at 2pm , what does it matter if the cops arrive at 2.40 instead of 2.30 pm , the bad guys are long gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Jaysus, Damo...Joe would have rudely interrupted her by now with her boring nonsense...

It's as well she's talking to Damo....at the first mention of G Ryan, Joe would have been going to another caller.

Wertz wrote: »
    It's as well she's talking to Damo....a the first mention of G Ryan, Joe would have been going to another caller.

We got an ad break instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

so what , if a crime is committed at 2pm , what does it matter if the cops arrive at 2.40 instead of 2.30 pm , the bad guys are long gone
    It would to me, I suppose.

Oh that's it I'm out.

• Advertisement

And what do you sell?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement