Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIVELINE Thread - (05/10/11 to 14/02/2012)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

jays john lowe didnt sound very upbeat after that show ! :)

I think it should be a prerequisite that any "economist" coming on the panel shows should be forced to show the production team where they have their own personal finances invested... instead of coming on telling us what their respective companies want us to invest in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    I didn't know we had so many economists....

Why aren't these guys outside in Europe sorting the whole thing out???

Because vultures dont fly far from the dying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

'My question to the Doctor is...'

He's not a doctor. he's just a guy with an opinion and a great calming voice for radio

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There is the sound of panic in her voice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

"you'd be night and day worried about the exchange rate"

"no i wouldnt"

about ****ign time someone said that.

he's completely over selling that bollocks. theres plenty of stable currencies out there to pick from which brings me to another point.

WTF has he got in the danish kroner ?

its a grand currency dont get me wrong but he's pimping it big time !

personally i'd be looking at the canadian dollar, they never got involved in any of this bollocks (despite the fact their bankers WANTED to) .

• Advertisement

I hear Joe scribbling in the background.. I hope he's not signing books. You're on OUR time now Duffy ye b*llix...

Sorry you have gone mental now

next caller please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Dublin_Mom wrote: »

He's not a doctor. he's just a guy with an opinion and a great calming voice for radio

As mentioned before, he doesn't have a clue what's happening. The only thing he really wants you to invest in, is his book, because with all his expert knowledge, that's the only thing even he can make money out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

I find it a bit mad that all the people with the savings, wanting to send it off somewhere safe probably gathered a lot of of it from the property madness and that mental savings scheme thingy that I coudnt afford at the time, SSIA was it??

And they are bemused that the economy is up the creek but still are willing to take their "basket of goods" to the next investment opportunity. :confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I always find this article good when it comes to how clueless some experts are, it was written in 2007.

http://www.tiger.ie/docs/Property_Market.pdf

Country bloke on radio had Lowe good and well, Lowe fobbed him off badly, and Joe gets a quick disclaimer in at the end to protect RTE and himself.

Twat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Get out of jail free card there... "Everything you heard was an opinion, AN OPINION!"

Droopy eyes

Droopy eyes

There is a few of them about now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

everything you heard on here today is an opinion.....

problem is no-one heard this last statement as they have all shuffled off on their walkers to the local bank/credit union to open a U.S treasury account.
    God help the front line staff in the banks over the next couple of days....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Bart Simpson badly misquoted by Noonan there! :rolleyes:

sudzs wrote: »
    Bart Simpson badly misquoted by Noonan there! :rolleyes:

Ah he was a bit distracted... He was under pressure to get back to his office to call RTE..

Missed the start of that why was Derek playing Fawlty Towers at the start of the show?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I can see lines forming outside banks tomorrow morning..:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

sudzs wrote: »
    I find it a bit mad that all the people with the savings, wanting to send it off somewhere safe probably gathered a lot of of it from the property madness and that mental savings scheme thingy that I coudnt afford at the time, SSIA was it??

And they are bemused that the economy is up the creek but still are willing to take their "basket of goods" to the next investment opportunity. :confused::rolleyes:

It's more looking for a 'Safe Haven' than speculation for high returns at the moment, though.

syklops wrote: »
    Missed the start of that why was Derek playing Fawlty Towers at the start of the show?

It turns out Manuel was gay..

Serious answer (I can rewind my radio): he is talking about Lord and Lady titles up for auction... Lord Melburry was a confidence trickster in Fawlty Towers that Basil fawned all over like a Tubridy..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

syklops wrote: »

They are disussing the auction of British 'Titles' (Lord this, Earl that etc)

The clip was of Lord Melbury in Fawlty Towers.

It was contrived, but any excuse for some Fawlty Towers, I say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

Delighted to see I wasn't the only one thinking that that Money Doctor was a spoofer of the highest order. It wasn't the actual advice that irritated me the most either but the smug confidence with which he dispensed it. I thought after the Celtic Tiger fiasco people would have learned to have a bit more humility with their financial advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

Dublin_Mom wrote: »

Whoah now hang on a minute, next thing you'll be telling me Neil 'Dr' Fox is not a real doctor! :eek:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Skid wrote: »
    Sadly not.

you'll just have to make do with 'Spank me I'm a bold boy' :rolleyes:

going to try make my own then will see if i can find some radio clips and edit that bit out,so good afternoon to that lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

checked out the rte player none loud enough to be made usable,have to get one for a text alert for the laugh,good afternoon to you.........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I only caught the last 10 minutes of the programme today but the sort of scaremongering I heard cannot be good for anyone. I presume Jill Kirby was telling everyone to put their money in gold? :rolleyes: The "gold run" is yet another bubble that will burst - same as every other bubble that's ever happened.

Listening to yer wan talking about transferring her savings into US dollars, I bet the banks will be rubbing their hands with glee when she walks through their door. What with commission, transaction charges and handling fees, she'll be lucky to have any savings left by the time they've finished with her. :rolleyes:

The "gold run" is yet another bubble that will burst - same as every other bubble that's ever happened.

Forget gold.. I put my money in tulips... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Forget gold.. I put my money in tulips... ;-)

I hear there's something about to kick off with the South Sea Company any day now. I'm gonna get in there first before anybody else does! ;)

I only caught the last 10 minutes of the programme today but the sort of scaremongering I heard cannot be good for anyone. I presume Jill Kirby was telling everyone to put their money in gold? :rolleyes: The "gold run" is yet another bubble that will burst - same as every other bubble that's ever happened.

Listening to yer wan talking about transferring her savings into US dollars, I bet the banks will be rubbing their hands with glee when she walks through their door. What with commission, transaction charges and handling fees, she'll be lucky to have any savings left by the time they've finished with her. :rolleyes:

not if she visits a few of the local Dunnes Stores. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

"John Lowe is completely wrong, Joe."
    "So what should people do?"
    "I don't have a crystal ball!"

250px-Kdl1ussmall.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement