Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIVELINE Thread - (05/10/11 to 14/02/2012)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

syklops wrote: »
    Its a bit sh1t that the dole didnt get cut, and those with disabilities have been cut.

And it's a bit sh1t that the budget screws people caring for disabled kid - and sounds like overall it will save a few million.

And then when it is mentioned to a government minister that some of their expenses/allowances could be trimmed a bit you will get shouted down and told "DO YOU NOT REALISE THE TROUBLE THIS COUNTRY IS IN - tinkering around the edges of highly paid civil servants will only save 1 or 2 million."
    Difference is - when it is not their 1 or 2 million they will slash away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

we must be on til 3, hooray :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

I feel sorry for these people, but I think people are very unappreciative of what the State does provide... They get 188 euro a week a free medical care, and free medication .... (correct me if I'm wrong, cos I could be wrong about the medication, do they have to pay the first 50 euros? )

I mean it's not the State's fault that the child has an illness, and there is only so much money that a bankrupt country can contribute to help... Though I think they should have hit the dole, single mother's, rent allowance (people who are capable of more than those with illness) before hitting the disabled..

Couldn't agree more. But it's almost taboo to say this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

pc7 wrote: »
    I really wish we just had one unmerciful budget this year, tax hikes, pay cuts, the whole fecking lot! Just get it done and out of the way. We are facing into at least another 5-6 years of budgets like this. We are paying out more than we are taking in, everything has to be cut.

Totally agree. Its like a Japanese water torture at the moment. Too much pussy footing around while the interest to be paid back to Europe grows and grows...

Sneakily hitting the disabled is a cnut's trick though. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Another half day for the Duff-meister today .... He's on what's called "Finucane Time" in RTE this week..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

I feel sorry for these people, but I think people are very unappreciative of what the State does provide... They get 188 euro a week a free medical care, and free medication .... (correct me if I'm wrong, cos I could be wrong about the medication, do they have to pay the first 50 euros? )

I mean it's not the State's fault that the child has an illness, and there is only so much money that a bankrupt country can contribute to help... Though I think they should have hit the dole, single mother's, rent allowance (people who are capable of more than those with illness) before hitting the disabled..

What was in place 10 years ago, before we had all this money?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

if you have a child you need to support it.

I never ask the taxpayer for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

* GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING / TERRY PRONE ALERT *

The cynic in me is always suspicious of the really stingy things in the budget. This is the story what will fill the airwaves for a few days. Phone calls will be made to politicians.....and then Brendan Howlin will stand up in the Dail next week and remove this particular item from the Finance Bill, citing a change of heart, etc.

In the meantime 101 other things go through the Finance Bill.....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I dread to think what this country is going to be like after 5 or 6 of these budgets

I think Alex shut down for a reason.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Its a bit sh1t that the dole didnt get cut, and those with disabilities have been cut.

the bigger stink comes from the fact that the old age pension was again not touched , plenty of wealthy elderly folk in this country despite what the various salary drawing QUANGOS tell us

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ahh I'd a reply typed and my pc bombed! Anyhoo I agree its wrong and a soft target to hit those with disabilities but I really am worried that the atms are going to stop giving cash. That teachers, guards, doctors and nurses wont get paid nevermind those on the dole. So while some aren't getting hit this budget you can be sure they will get hit next budget and some hit harder than others. I really feel the government could have set the tone this budget with further cuts to their very very very substantial salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

jaysus what was that. some skank lifted off henry street?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Fcuk off Sammy Sausages:mad:

Spudmonkey wrote: »

Having lived in the U.S for a few years, I have to say there is a HUGE entitlement attitude in this country.

Yes, I am extremely grateful for my kids who don't have any issues and I probably don't appreciate a fraction of what these people go through, but....I just 'sometimes' get the impression that no matter what the Govt does for certain sectors of society, it is never enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

That sneeze joke is awful...:mad:

Dole recipients in Ireland are in the top 10% of Income earners on this planet.

Fact.

Sustainable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Spudmonkey wrote: »

Pat went through all the figures last nite on the Frontline... 20 Billion on Benefits and 14 Billion on Health.... and that's it all spent...

There was a contributor on who had gone through the figures since 2003 and said that all benefits went up between 30-70% even though inflation was only 10%.. But unfortunately this just enabled people to invest in property, which now has them financially crippled..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Fcuk off Sammy Sausages:mad:

Thanks a thousand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

my friend wrote: »
    Dole recipients in Ireland are in the top 10% of Income earners on this planet.

Fact.

Sustainable?

So are most people in Ireland, and Western Europe. So what's your point?

• Advertisement

Thin edge of the wedge?

Thats as bad as pulling a hair from a frog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

It really annoys me to hear that RTE childrens radio ad which I keep asking "Who listens to it, does anyone know anyone who listens to it" and I never get an answer, while this topic is being discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Pat went through all the figures last nite on the Frontline... 20 Billion on Benefits and 14 Billion on Health.... and that's it all spent...

There was a contributor on who had gone through the figures since 2003 and said that all benefits went up between 30-70% even though inflation was only 10%.. But unfortunately this just enabled people to invest in property, which now has them financially crippled..

public spending trebbled since 1997 , way ahead of inflation , we,ve seen nothing yet in terms of austerity , people are in for one hell of a shock , even the euro survives , the germans will be writing our budget and will be aghast at the level of spending on both wages and wellfare

Tanks a tousand!

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Dublin_Mom wrote: »
    Having lived in the U.S for a few years, I have to say there is a HUGE entitlement attitude in this country.

I don't think we should be taking any cues from the United States when it comes to welfare provision.

It really annoys me to hear that RTE childrens radio ad which I keep asking "Who listens to it, does anyone know anyone who listens to it" and I never get an answer, while this topic is being discussed.

some future Tubridy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

just wondering, have any of ye tweeted joe about his earnings?.

this has now descended into Bar Bore Chat w Joe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I mean it's not the State's fault that the child has an illness, and there is only so much money that a bankrupt country can contribute to help.....

Nobody is suggesting that its the state's fault but one way I would measure the quality of any nation is the manner in which the most vulnerable citizens are treated.

And today I rate my own country very badly indeed.

We're not that bankrupt that we cannot provide for those who rely on us.

Hit the €500 million foreign aid budget to begin with and start looking after our own citizens first.

• Advertisement

I don't think we should be taking any cues from the United States when it comes to welfare provision.

I never suggested we should.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement