Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIVELINE Thread - (05/10/11 to 14/02/2012)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Maybe the child benefited from the social interaction with her peer group, it doesn't all have to revolve around academics.

Yes. An enviorment with more emphasis on lifestyle as in how to live ,make a bed, basic cooking all done age dependent. That setup is worthy of funding and volunteering and support from the community.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

No. If the kids have the ability to get ahead in school Im all for it and should be supported 100%. What good is a leaving cert if they cant pass .... Just to have gone to secondary school same as "everyone else".There was a special needs kid in my daughters class and 75% of the teachers time was spent attending the child.....for what!!! The kid was held back another year as she hadnt met the grade to go on.

To learn like everyone else.

Its wrong that any teacher should give more of their time to one child than another, but last years cut backs in SNA numbers mean this happens and everyone suffers as a result.

Using the leaving cert as a yardstick for educational achivement is an unfortunate symptom of our education regarding students of all abilities. The opportunity to learn in a group environment provides for a more balanced future for a child than any exam result can measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

And yourself with the one eye.. No cut on my humour in the budget.. :D

Aye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

telekon wrote: »
    I hate when people announce this.:rolleyes:

Makes you sound petty...if you have to do it, it should be done in private.

Why, so that you look like everybody's friend while clicking the report button at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

There isn't a child in the country, disabled or not, getting a 'decent' eduction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Maybe the child benefited from the social interaction with her peer group, it doesn't all have to revolve around academics.

Are you serious?. I just reread your reply. So my child and her classmates have to have their learning and school term comprimised by the special needs parents insistence that she attend school at that level.

I love the "I'm ok so everyone else can fup off" attitude of some people...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Why, so that you look like everybody's friend while clicking the report button at the same time?

In fairness, Ivy, you can't accuse me of that (e.g Macroboy)

In fairness, Ivy, you can't accuse me of that (e.g Macroboy)

Oh I'm not (sorry telekon if you thought that). EDIT I should say by "you" I meant you in general...

It just pissed me off that I got nasty pms and messages when I openly reported someone and I know full well I wasn't the only person who reported that poster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

so, sneering is allowed on the megathread but some sneering is more worthy than other sneering

I see.

I also note that some with previously thick hides are now exposing their achilles

roll with it babies! its all just some light fun

NOTHING will be resolved via the Megathread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Oh I'm not (sorry telekon if you thought that). EDIT I should say by "you" I meant you in general...

It just pissed me off that I got nasty pms and messages when I openly reported someone and I know full well I wasn't the only person who reported that poster.

Are you serious?! :confused:

Funnily enough, i didnt report that poster at all, even though I made clear my objections to the annoying bullsh*t.

I just don't like the one-word "Reported" posts. Doesn't add to the debate in any way.

Are you serious?! :confused:

Funnily enough, i didnt report that poster at all, even though I made clear my objections to the annoying bullsh*t.

I just don't like the one-word "Reported" posts. Doesn't add to the debate in any way.
    Yep. Not nasty enough to report but still.

Ah I see what you mean. Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Are you serious?. I just reread your reply. So my child and her classmates have to have their learning and school term comprimised by the special needs parents insistence that she attend school at that level.
    In a lot of cases, parents of special needs kids are between a rock and a hard place.

For example: An educational psychologist would have assessed that child to see if she was an appropriate candidate for mainstream. Where a psychologist recommends that a child should attend a mainstream school, a special school will refuse to take the child even if the parents want their child to attend a special school. Special Schools have limited places so they limit access to children who have been deemed to need "special education".

I completely understand where you are coming from, the reduction in SNAs and Resource Teaching hours is affecting all children, including yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

noworries wrote: »
    Reported

Get off your high horse. If you are going to report someone, just do it, everyone else does not need to know about it.Pious nonsense.

Ivy, you should name and shame those who sent you abusive messages.

I don't really go along with reporting anyone no matter what they write. Stupid or offensive arguments and statements are there to be knocked down and will be done so by any number of people on this or any other thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

No. If the kids have the ability to get ahead in school Im all for it and should be supported 100%. What good is a leaving cert if they cant pass .... Just to have gone to secondary school same as "everyone else".There was a special needs kid in my daughters class and 75% of the teachers time was spent attending the child.....for what!!! The kid was held back another year as she hadnt met the grade to go on.

i know what you mean , thier is a highly disruptive special needs kid who attends a primary school ( a mile from me ) with twenty four pupils in the entire school , he is the only special needs child in the entire school so effectivley has his own private tutor , a few decades ago this kid would have attended a special school with other special needs kids and nothing was thought of this perfectly practical and obvious policy at the time but then the pc liberals took hold and decided it was wrong not to treat everyone the same even they were not the same , now we have a situation where a hugely disproportionate level of time is devoted to special needs kids in regular primary schools and thats before we even get to the cost and inefficency of having perhaps one special needs teacher in a small school with one special needs kids

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

scargill wrote: »
    * GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING / TERRY PRONE ALERT *

The cynic in me is always suspicious of the really stingy things in the budget. This is the story what will fill the airwaves for a few days. Phone calls will be made to politicians.....and then Brendan Howlin will stand up in the Dail next week and remove this particular item from the Finance Bill, citing a change of heart, etc.

In the meantime 101 other things go through the Finance Bill.....

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=20124

The cynic in you was bang on, it seems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

DuckStab wrote: »

When the cynic in you starts being right, its time to get worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

DuckStab wrote: »

Expect Joe to indulge in self-congratulatory back slapping exercise for the day as this reversal looks inevitable - officially "paused" now according to Inda - just awaiting a big/bad news day for sweep-it-under-the carpet / official binning.

Grateful callers will be neatly queued up by the Lahvlahhn team to kiss Joe's ring without needing to be reminded not to mention the 408,000 reasons why Joe won't be taking any cut such as those asked of the liddel peeple.

:rolleyes:
    Bingo numbers on "It's all thanks to you, Joe" or variant of such?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Looks like the cuts discussed yesterday are going to be reversed...the power of liveline. Will Joe decide to target any other budget cut I wonder?

mike kelly wrote: »
    Looks like the cuts discussed yesterday are going to be reversed...the power of liveline. Will Joe decide to target any other budget cut I wonder?

Don't think there was any cut in broadcasters wages announced so I doubt it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

europa11 wrote: »

+

"Nononono. It was all youse, the good callers to Lahvline that did, I only took yeser phonecalls"

Aw, Shucks Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Joe is grandstanding now

"little treats"

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Is Sky sports not a luxury?

BINGO!!!...thanks to you Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

europa11 wrote: »

only took 2 minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

miketv wrote: »
    Is Sky sports not a luxury?

Yes it is. I'm happy for my taxes to provide this luxury for a young lad with no limbs. As I think most decent people would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Yes it is. I'm happy for my taxes to provide this luxury for a young lad with no limbs. As I think most decent people would be.

now that is a vulnerable person , not some phoney victim like a retired guard who despite drawing a weekly pension of 699 euro per week , can still visit his GP for free

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Sky Sports is not a luxury.... that's like saying CocaCola or Hello or Heat magazine is a luxury.

You might think they improve your quality of life but in actual fact they do not, they just sell themselves as that. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

sudzs wrote: »
    Sky Sports is not a luxury.... that's like saying CocaCola or Hello or Heat magazine is a luxury.

You might think they improve your quality of life but in actual fact they do not, they just sell themselves as that. :rolleyes:

I think the idea is that luxury is being defined as "not necessary" which in itself is a murky definition. It could be argued that the state here doesn't/isn't able to provide a lot of treatments and facilites for disabled people which are completely necessary and would cost a lot more than a sky subscription.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement