Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIVELINE Thread - (05/10/11 to 14/02/2012)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

This is irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

PLEASE tell me joes on the fiver !

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

bijapos wrote: »
    More scaremongering.........Quick! Run to the Banks!!!!

Funny story...friend of mine was in a few banks in Newry on monday...none could give her an appointment to open an account until early next week.

Are these the notes that were in the economy forum last week?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I can imagine the conversation in Biddy's tonight when she invites them around for bingo.
    Joe said they had created new punt notes, better remove my euro from the bank immediately..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

syklops wrote: »
    What did he say?

Sorry, cant remember, it's 10.45 pm here, dark, 24 degrees, nearly christmass and i'm ever so homesick :( :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Her voice wasn't as airy fairy as I'm used to for Mooney!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I don't want to generalise but I can only tell of my experience with CE scheme workers. In this small to middle sized town, there were a few genuine people (2 females to be precise) who worked hard and never skived, were enthusiastic etc.

But the rest of them (maybe 10-12, all middle aged men) were absolutely brutal. No joke, they're meant to work 4 hours a day but we were lucky to have them still there by 10 o'clock. Where were they, I hear you ask?

The pub of course. Drinking....they were in the pub drinking...every single day...FFS like. :rolleyes:

And noone gave a toss, especially their supervisor buddy! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Well said this caller in Liverpool.

Joe has met his match here.

Your not allowed talk sense on liveline. Dont you know that?

joes not happy with this guy !

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Is that Shane O'Currys brother by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I agree with most of what this guy says but it does bug me when people say unemployed people are "not contributing". They still pay VAT and other indirect taxes. And presumably they contributed more when they did have jobs.

This liverpool fella's a bollocks.

Children. Host included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Guy says it costs five times more to insulate houses here than it does in the UK and says that this is his profession. He says that nobody wants to work here yet he has emigrated and taken an 80% pay cut to do so. You think he would be happy to do all this work in Ireland for five times the pay. Something doesn't quite add up with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Isn't Joe supposed to be impartial? This guy is actually making sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Get that twat in Liverpool off the phone, Christ he has some chip on his shoulder.

insulator fella is well put out.

caller is right though. half these CE schemes are bollocks and most of the external insulation lads ive seen are coming from poland with their boss charging a premium under the table for himself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

That insulation that involves drilling holes and pumping stuff into the walls is rubbish or so I'm told.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Guy says it costs five times to insulate houses here than it does in the UK and says that this is his profession and that nobody wants to work here. You think he would be happy to do all this work in Ireland for five times the pay. Something doesn't quite add up with him.

Theres a €4000 grant here for external insulation, the guy in Liverpool is talking about doing an attic for £800. Its like comparing chalk and cheese. Btw £800 for an attic is a rip off.

• Advertisement

Get that twat in Liverpool off the phone, Christ he has some chip on his shoulder.

Talkin about lagging attics and pumping beads when the donegal fella is on about external system and then get's all uppity oabout it...he has a point on the cost of UK V Ireland though, but that's not the fault of some guy insulating houses...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

clouds wrote: »
    don't be silly.

It's the logical conclusion to your automated statement. Did you really put any thought into it?
    Wages going down when the cost of everything is going up affects real lives - even ordinary hard working taxpayers like you - sadly it won't have the effect of making you a Rayndian supermensch.

Something needs to be done, true, but it's not the simple cure all you seem to think it is.

Reduce business overheads, which will enable business to cut prices, increase competition, increase trade and employ more people.

the likes of yourself want to protect everyone already on the deluded gravy train called social partnership, and f*ck the rest of them on the dole who want a chance.

Hermy wrote: »
    That insulation that involves drilling holes and pumping stuff into the walls is rubbish or so I'm told.

depends on your gaff.

me mates ma got hers done recently and was told it wouldnt work so she went for the one where they slap up styrophone, plaster over it ,and then dash it.

thats worked a treat for her.

gaffs warm for the first time i can remember it.

invoice she got doesnt bear ANY resembalance to what she paid though.

invoice she got doesnt bear ANY resembalance to what she paid though.

In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

his point about people wanting money for nothing is a fair point,but pinning it on all the unemployed was wrong and untrue.

Wertz wrote: »
    In what way?

she paid 11k.

invoice is for 7k

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Fair dues to the lad on saying that people expect something for nothing.

In recent years we've become a nation built on an "entitlement" culture and now that we are trying to claw back some of the freebies from a decade of giveaway budgets, it's the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Degringola

Nobody in Ireland seems to realise that Irish people working outside the state may be appalled listening to the whining and sense of entitlement they hear constantly coming out of one of the richest, lowest-taxed, highest ps paid countries in the world. I know I frequently am. (I'm talking in general, not necessarily about today's topic.) So I can see where Liverpool guy is coming from.

PS will those people who did get the insulation grant and who were getting fuel allowance, now forego their fuel allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

sudzs wrote: »
    Sorry, cant remember, it's 10.45 pm here, dark, 24 degrees, nearly christmass and i'm ever so homesick :( :rolleyes:

Is there a similar show as liveline in Australia Sudz?

• Advertisement

miketv wrote: »
    Is there a similar show as liveline in Australia Sudz?

Struth! The Limey-line is open now! *coughs-spits*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement