Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIVELINE Thread - (05/10/11 to 14/02/2012)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

sudzs wrote: »
    .... with another candidate, Bertie! :D

I think his cupboard is roomy enough.

Never been in Grangegorman, but I worked in another similar institution years ago...horrible places, victorian built and if you went in there sane and stayed long enough you'd be kept.

Joe better slow down on the sighing, he'll wear himself out. Nearly over now...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I thought she wanted to be discreet anyway yet decides to tell us the details ON NATIONAL RADIO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Nice segway there Joe.. From Grangegorman having to take down their decorations to HomeStore selling new decorations..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I was beginning to think she had actually rang up about conditions in Grangeorman. I'd say her buddies on the protest are delighted.
    I suppose Joe can say,'look at this woman and how caring she is, her lone parent allowance can't be cut!' She's too nice to be cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

tell that to the whistleblower in the Red Cross, joe.
    Ex-Red Cross worker now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Grangegorman was also in Bertie Ahern's constituency for over 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

"you called me"

BINGO!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

just got the call from your researcher...

BINGO!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Lapin wrote: »
    Bertie Ahern was also in Grangegorman for over 30 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Sure they can all cuddle together and they will be nice and warm, and toasty over christmas.

• Advertisement

Conditions in these insititutions have been appalling for years.This is hardly news. Also Grangegorman as Lapin said was in Bertie's constituency all his phucking life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Ho-hum...can we go back to the knock-off flogging, tax avoiding Henry Street wagons please?

Okay okay.... okay.... okay get off the line it's 3

telekon wrote: »
    Ho-hum...can we go back to the knock-off flogging, tax avoiding Henry Street wagons please?

Can't do that as it didn't go the way Joe thought it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

ok...ok...ok...ok...ok...ok..ok........bye,bye,bye,bye

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Degringola

If all overpaid ps/cs/rte people took just even a 5% cut in their salaries, people like those in Grangegorman wouldn't be suffering like this.

Why do the likes of Joe blatantly refuse to join the dots?

Is the whole concept of cause and effect beyond them?

The hypocracy makes me puke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Mooney:"You sound very nervous or are you doing anything you shouldn't be"

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I've said it before and I'll say it again, like him or loathe him, Joe Duffy is one of the few Irish broadcasters that do something worthwhile with their time on air http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/artforalexandra.html being the latest example. If some of his many detractors here did as much useful work in highlighting things that need attention we would have a great little country. End of rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

I've said it before and I'll say it again, like him or loathe him, Joe Duffy is one of the few Irish broadcasters that do something worthwhile with their time on air http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/artforalexandra.html being the latest example. If some of his many detractors here did as much useful work in highlighting things that need attention we would have a great little country. End of rant.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDHZTaiIaVH7qMJKa8Dm0eD49L0S-_gvmP1r9hDnUmbHehYuk0
    see...that's what you get around these parts for defending Joe.

I do agree with you though!

Their time? Our time, bought and paid for... he made over half a week out of Aleksandra (which was admittedly a great cause) and the art auction.
    Duffy is in a position to highlight things due to Liveline and it's large listenership... the likes of us don't have that position to make a stand on what we see fit, personal moral agenda included.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Many of us do, in our own small way. We don't all have an audience of 400,000 to draw upon. Credit to Joe for doing more than others in his profession. But don't think for one minute that that makes him immune to criticism. I doubt he'd want that himself and we (the licence payers) are fully entitled to ask questions and express our opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,370 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I agree up to a point - but 90% of his time on air is spent on populist rabble-rousing and stirring. He occasionally does hit upon a worthy topic, seemingly by accident most of the time (which is the only reason I still listen, in case - just in case - today might be that day) but it's complete tabloid horse-****e most of the time.

And still I tune in.

I don't know......:confused:

Joe Duffy uses the show as his own personal hobby horse to pursue whatever agenda takes his fancy.Just because he occasionally uses the show to promote a worthy cause does not insulate him from justified criticism.
    The show has a huge audience and that is simply because it is on RTE. It would have a large audience no matter who was hosting it and Joe Duffy gets paid an obscene amount of money to do it.It could be done just as well by someone on a fraction of that 'fee'
    He frequently displays himself to be completely out of touch and is hypocricy personified.
    Are you suggesting the people that criticise him do not do any good in their day to day lives? Joe Duffy is getting paid for what is community radio, the fund raiser you referred to is part of what the show is about, and he is getting paid for it. When I do anything for charity or some civic work which I do on occasion, I do it for free and I don't expect to be paid or do I fish for compliments either.
    So spare me the beatification of this hypocrite.
    By the way I'm not sure the auction was even his idea,much like 'fiver Friday'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Well done to Joe, running with someone else's idea and milking it so his callers call him a saint. Yeah, that's PSB right enough.

Other people instead give our free time to voluntary organisations and don't look for any credit. Last winter's Big Freezes are a case in point. The amount of co-ordination and action by volunteers to help people through that time in my locality was immense and did a lot to prevent any deaths. Their thanks were enough.

They didn't go on the local radio and brag about it daily though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Jeez, you all so busy helping your neighbours and doing charitable work I'm surprised that you have time to listen to Joe Duffy let alone post here! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Thanks for the support, oh perfect one.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Pretty good show for the box-tickers, mind!

[LIST=0]
    [*]Salt-a-de-ert Dubalin wan, check. In spades!
    [*]Caller talking sense gets set upon by aforementioned, check.
    [*]Eccentric Protestant Baroness complaining one of her several hundred benefits has gone, check.
    [*]A fool minus his money, check.
    [*]"I'm entitled..!", check check check.
    [*]Shaggy dog story, aka issue of substance that gets swept under the rug in the 5 minutes pre-Mooney.
    [*]Joe talking out of both sides of his mouth;
    "I shuddn hafta pay taxes, when ye luka wha deez bankerz an speculaydorz gaddaway wit..."
    "ye, ye, ye, ye, OH GOD."

"Joe I done a bitta property speculatin' and me money's gone, de bankers Joe."

"Joe I work for EBS and want an extra month's pay"
    [/LIST]

The only thing missing from the usual suspects was the mother of a special needs amputee who is also blind, deaf, dumb, epileptic and autistic with mild CF who has been discriminated against because he couldn't get a job as an air traffic controller (whilst keeping benefits). :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I think the whole "how am I meant to find a job" is a red herring.. I'd say the majority are happy enough to take the handouts, and move the new bloke in to the free house...

Harsh, the majority, eh? Is that pure prejudice you're basing that estimation on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

I bought a house with no deeds, i didn't use a solicitor, you know yourself, i didn't need one, or i thought i didn't, me money's gon, what am i goin to do Jo? Bloody hell, they went to Turkey to buy a pension, couldn't speak a word of the lingo, stayed in it a few weeks out of 52, kept paying mgt fees, borrowed money for it. What in the name of Jaysus do they expect? Pity!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well go and fcuk urselves, I bet they won't do it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Very well done

Pretty good show for the box-tickers, mind!
    Salt-a-de-ert Dubalin wan, check. In spades!
    Caller talking sense gets set upon by aforementioned, check.
    Eccentric Protestant Baroness complaining one of her several hundred benefits has gone, check.
    A fool minus his money, check.
    "I'm entitled..!", check check check.
    Shaggy dog story, aka issue of substance that gets swept under the rug in the 5 minutes pre-Mooney.
    Joe talking out of both sides of his mouth;
    "I shuddn hafta pay taxes, when ye luka wha deez bankerz an speculaydorz gaddaway wit..."

"Joe I done a bitta property speculatin' and me money's gone, de bankers Joe."

"Joe I work for EBS and want an extra month's pay"

The only thing missing from the usual suspects was the mother of a special needs amputee who is also blind, deaf, dumb, epileptic and autistic with mild CF who has been discriminated against because he couldn't get a job as an air traffic controller (whilst keeping benefits).

The best summary of Liveline i have seen . Totally sums up the bull that is joe duffy ponticating to us , the workers, about how well we have it at the expense of 'themost vulnerable in society ' while being paid €400,000 a year by us, the workers .
    Beautiful today how he saw no hypocrisy in the street traders, who claim welfare, avoid paying taxes , being defended by a man who is paid € 400,000 a year, by the ehhhhh, oh yes, tax payers .
    You just couldnt dream it up !!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement