Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIVELINE Thread - (05/10/11 to 14/02/2012)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Joe currently plugging his buke on Maid Marions showing up show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I just listened on the player to the bit on the Street Traders on yesterdays show, I had read the comments here beforehand and its a good job because I reckon I would have crashed the van if I listened to that live. The fact that Duffy took sides with people who are cheating the dole system is diabolical, he then has several digs at Revenue, the Gardai and Customs, people who are doing their job,m whether we like it or not, and whose work contibutes to the tax intake, €390,000 of which wanders into Duffys bank account.

As regards the dole, you can get any amount of temporary work if you are on the dole. You inform your social welfare office of this, they give you a sheet, you fill in your employers details and then tick off any days you wotk. It can be one day, 3 days, 24 days or any amount of time up to a few months. The dole office are only too happy and will accomodate anyboby who gets work, no matter how temporary. Duffy has to know this, the system has been around for decades and he worked for a while as a social worker.

What got me the most is the constant reference to the "bankers and developers", as one caller rightly said dole fraud and the selling of fake goods existed a long time before the present economic difficulties. The Bankers excuse is one which is pulled out all too conveniently, its the kind of nonsense that the gutter press and anyone with no substance to their side of a debate will pull out when they are faced with common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

It was quite sneaky the way he derailed the caller who phoned from the lone parents protest. It's difficult to get people to go out and protest, and they had managed to get a good number, so a few minutes on liveline could have seen their numbers grow and the campaign take off.

I'm thinking of the way that liveline supported the pensioners' protests a few years ago.

Instead Joe Duffy completely derailed her call, got her to talk about her part-time work, (probably breaking confidentiality clauses in her contract) and buried any reference to the subject she was on about.

Like I say, sneaky, and not the first time he's done this.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Wowsers sounds like I missed a great show yesterday the comments were flying on here. Scurries to find podcast and hear all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

bijapos wrote: »
    I just listened on the player to the bit on the Street Traders on yesterdays show, I had read the comments here beforehand and its a good job because I reckon I would have crashed the van if I listened to that live. The fact that Duffy took sides with people who are cheating the dole system is diabolical, he then has several digs at Revenue, the Gardai and Customs, people who are doing their job,m whether we like it or not, and whose work contibutes to the tax intake, €390,000 of which wanders into Duffys bank account.

^ This.

Man a' de peeple Joe was a quiet laddie indeed when FF were holding the purse strings: "Ah ye can't say that Mary, bad line, bad line..."

It got so bad last week, that he used the anecdote of some lady picking up kindling in a park as an example of how far we've fallen from the heady days of Bertie, giving off the impression that we're one step from communist era breadlines and rationing. We gathered kindling as kids, and I know plenty of people who fuel their stoves from fallen timber, and still manage to keep the light on and live happy lives.

As always, he uses the Liveline format to further his own agenda, grunting and barking at callers on the one hand when they disagree with him, shouting them down mid sentence with misinformation, while fawning all over others with false empathy, condescension, more so if they have any celebrity connection, however minor. "As de listeners will know very well, Seamus, you had a biteen of a walk on part on an episode of Halls Pictorial back in 1975..." He seems to be of the opinion that the whole country knows every back street in Dublin as well, often interrupting a caller to give us the life history of some uninteresting back alley in the capital that is of interest to no one bar those who live there, or a particularly diligent historian.

He is an ignorant and biased individual, and his editorial grip on a show that's supposed to be in essence a show driven by the people is disgraceful. I won't even get started on "Funny" Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

^ This.

Man a' de peeple Joe was a quiet laddie indeed when FF were holding the purse strings: "Ah ye can't say that Mary, bad line, bad line..."

It got so bad last week, that he used the anecdote of some lady picking up kindling in a park as an example of how far we've fallen from the heady days of Bertie, giving off the impression that we're one step from communist era breadlines and rationing. We gathered kindling as kids, and I know plenty of people who fuel their stoves from fallen timber, and still manage to keep the light on and live happy lives.

As always, he uses the Liveline format to further his own agenda, grunting and barking at callers on the one hand when they disagree with him, shouting them down mid sentence with misinformation, while fawning all over others with false empathy, condescension, more so if they have any celebrity connection, however minor. "As de listeners will know very well, Seamus, you had a biteen of a walk on part on an episode of Halls Pictorial back in 1975..." He seems to be of the opinion that the whole country knows every back street in Dublin as well, often interrupting a caller to give us the life history of some uninteresting back alley in the capital that is of interest to no one bar those who live there, or a particularly diligent historian.

He is an ignorant and biased individual, and his editorial grip on a show that's supposed to be in essence a show driven by the people is disgraceful. I won't even get started on "Funny" Friday.

Bang on, great post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

^ This.

Sums up what many people have been saying for yonks.

Its the Joe Duffy show. Not Liveline.
    Has been for years really.

Joe sets the agenda, Joe decides, Joe is the boss, Joe gets paid €408,000 a year to manipulate those who buy into the bullshít, Joe Duffy Rules.

Not Liveline.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Some very excellent posts of late re. the Liveline format. I'm sure if RTE switched to any other presenter on a full time basis (even Damo :eek:) the listenership would remain high, it's not Duffy we're listening for...

I honestly think it should be a rotating presenter-their role should be to chair the thing, nothing more. When you leave a jumped up vox pop guy like Duffy in there for so long, they, by default, claim ownership of the show-and forget their place. If you never heard the show, that Jwoaaahhh Duff-eh jingle would give you a fair overview.

The likes of Savage, Boucher Hayes, (people mightn't agree with those examples, but that's all they are-examples), in other words, presenters who have cut their teeth, but need to gain a higher profile?

Just an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

dulpit wrote: »
    Some very excellent posts of late re. the Liveline format. I'm sure if RTE switched to any other presenter on a full time basis (even Damo :eek:) the listenership would remain high, it's not Duffy we're listening for...

Pull the other one would you - if RTE switched to somebody like Damo "the Plank" O'Reilly on a permanent basis the show would nosedive. Damo shouldn't be allowed near a serious programme of any sort, for God's sake he even managed to wreck "Farm Week" and metamorphose it into some sort of GAA gig now titled "Countrywide".

Yes, Joe Duffy has an agenda, unlike most in RTE whose only one appears to be filling their own pockets while lecturing the rest of us e.g. Mammy and Pat Kenny, the fact that he is well paid is irrelevant when it comes to judging the show's popularity and content. Joe Duffy has been an activist with an agenda since his student union days and the country would be better off with more like him. Why don't some of you ring in next week and tackle him head on about the show and its content? Be sure to give us advance warning! :D

• Advertisement

Because we wouldn't get within an asses roar of the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

More Mental Hospital misery today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why can't someone phone up about kinky fetish clubs and the like? We need more outrage about trivial matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I honestly think it should be a rotating presenter-their role should be to chair the thing, nothing more. When you leave a jumped up vox pop guy like Duffy in there for so long, they, by default, claim ownership of the show-and forget their place. If you never heard the show, that Jwoaaahhh Duff-eh jingle would give you a fair overview.

The likes of Savage, Boucher Hayes, (people mightn't agree with those examples, but that's all they are-examples), in other words, presenters who have cut their teeth, but need to gain a higher profile?

Just an idea.

People said of the last government that they had been in for too long and had lost touch. Joes been in his seat for much longer.

EDIT: And earns more than the Taoiseach, for ~10 hours work a week.

Like him or hate him, Enda Kenny works a lot more than 10 hours a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

anyone hear what his agenda is today, missed all last week, but from reading some of the posts here it sounds like friday was a good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

syklops wrote: »
    People said of the last government that they had been in for too long and had lost touch. Joes been in his seat for much longer.

EDIT: And earns more than the Taoiseach, for ~10 hours work a week.

Like him or hate him, Enda Kenny works a lot more than 10 hours a week.

Everybody in the country with a job works more than 10 hours a week.

I agree Duffy is there too long and has gotten stale and borders on megalomania at times, its his opinion that counts, all others are against him. Give the gig to Boucher-Hayes for 6-12 months and see how he gets on, the one week I heard him doing it he was excellent.

Incidentally, a colleague of mine used to work off Nutley Lane, Joe wanders in between 10.30 and 11, and is out of there between 3.30 and 4.00 most days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think Sean O'Rourke hit off Joe Duffy's "Cut That Line" button..

anyone hear what his agenda is today, missed all last week, but from reading some of the posts here it sounds like friday was a good show.

On friday a woman rang up on behalf of some protestors(was it moore street) but she went off on a tangent saying she worked in a mental hospital and because of cuts they had to move seven women into a room with 5 other women and they would be cramped. This sent Joe off onto one of his crusades, and so, today is going to be more of the same. More terrible conditions in mental hospitals. We know. Yes mental hospitals get their funding cut first, they are last to get extra money, conditions are poor and over crowded. But we dont have the money. Why was she not protesting about this when the coffers were over flowing?

<Gasps>

The advert with the train is back!

:D

edit: If that doesn't moisten the eyes nothing will.

More Mental Hospital misery today

Mental Misery Monday :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

<Gasps>

The advert with the train is back!

:D

edit: If that doesn't moisten the eyes nothing will.

The Barry's ad??? Oh jayney, haven't had a cuppa Barrys for months and months... eyes already moist and I haven't even heard the ad yet! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I knew he'd run with this. Knew it.

[edit] Not that it's not a deserving issue. Marzie had an aul gasp at it yesterday morning too...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Bad start to the week already. Joe must have been told that no more salt of the earth dublin street traders were aloud on air

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Missed Friday's joyous episode... This sounds pretty miserable already :(

Hellooooo Monday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

ah c'mon joe, ''what is the difference between a locked ward and an open ward'' :rolleyes:

sudzs wrote: »
    The Barry's ad??? Oh jayney, haven't had a cuppa Barrys for months and months... eyes already moist and I haven't even heard the ad yet! :o

Its actually a lyons ad, but I pretend its Barrys.

I bought Barrys Tea from the Barry's website, and it came wrapped in Barrys Tea Christmas wrapping paper.

http://www.barrysteashop.ie/main-range/barrys-gold-blend-string-tag-envelope-200-teabags

Postage to the Czech Rep was about 2 euro. To lala-land might be a bit more.

I'm glad he has run with this story.

Its a genuine case of a caller driven issue.

And her description of the conditions those women were facing are appalling.

Good to hear both sides of the story and hopefully a satistactory outcome will result from Friday's call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It's lyon's? Mind blown here...would have swore it was Barry's... not a bad ad once or twice and they seem to have copped on to that...years ago it could be heard at least twice a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

I hate Health & Safety

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Its actually a lyons ad, but I pretend its Barrys.

Is it not an ad for Barrys????? With the train set,.. the whole "ah Santy will bring them what they want...." an all that :confused:

lol... in my mind it's Barrys!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement