Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIVELINE Thread - (05/10/11 to 14/02/2012)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

county wrote: »
    the thing is if someone really wants to end their own life they will find a way,no amount of meds or help will stop them.

I agree with that completely. It's all well and good saying that these people need help or to be under 24hr supervision but some will just kill themselves anyway at the first opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

"Depression tells you, you can do nothing about me"

I kind of feel the same way about Funny Friday..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

im actually listening to moncreif.

its been THAT bad for me :)

I wish I had the will to switch but Im seriously addicted, I think its more to this thread than Joe!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

why are some depressed people always trying to draw parallels and questionable connections that route back to themselves?

reference, last caller Tommy a perfect example.

Awkward hang-ups are the best.

"Thank you Joe"
    "Thank you"
    "Thank you Joe"
    "Thank you"
    "Thank you J......."
    "Back after the break"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

telekon wrote: »
    So trying to improve the appearance of your town makes you a twerp does it? Better than sitting on your hole and complaining about it on the internet. :mad:

I'm just saying it is a light hearted programme that never covers anything in a critical and or negative fashion.

Are they the only programmes you want at this time?

AS much as I dislike Duffy, Liveline hits the mark on certain issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Wertz wrote: »
    Where or when is the right forum though?

You''ll know I'm no fan of Duffy and his agenda, but I think that Liveline is a forum for such drastic topics as this.

I think the son is thinking straight...grief affects different people in different ways...right now he has anger against the different authorities tasked with the care and wellbeing of his mother...it's one case, that is just after coming to light that is one of who knows how many.

If liveline isn't the right forum then we badly need something that is...

Fair enough but I think when someone has just been bereaved,literally within the last 24 hours then talking to Joe is not what you should be doing. Talking to friends and family is what you should be doing
    I agree that Liveline can be a good forum for this kind of thing but not in the immediate aftermath of a suicide.
    However I take your point about grief affecting people in different ways.

Nationwide is harmless.

It's basically the "Look Dublin folks! Other places exist in Ireland!" show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

in the show on tuesday or wednesday it was said the women in grangegorman were listening to liveline, now i ask what positivity can these poor women or any person suffering with mental health problems take from this show in the last few days.

Absolutely none, doom gloom and then suicide, duffy if he really wanted to highlight the illness fairly, would've had more people like that man tommy on, somebody who has come through it, but why would he want to do that, thats a positive story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I agree with that completely. It's all well and good saying that these people need help or to be under 24hr supervision but some will just kill themselves anyway at the first opportunity.

I agree too... if they're determined they will manage it.

That shouldn't stop society at least trying to prevent it though.

I'm no expert but it sounds like the suicide victim was suffering from complex grief brought on by her son's death from cancer...and that she went on to develop an addiction to benzodiazepans and alcohol and sunk into a depressive state.
    Grief counselling and medical industry not as willing to hand out that type pof medication willy nilly may have helped here...in the long run all of that would have cost less than closing the railway line yesterday evening (seeing as this is ultimately about money).

• Advertisement

I'm just saying it is a light hearted programme that never covers anything in a critical and or negative fashion.

its always a positive message

it may be a story about a girl with no arms or legs but they will focus on for example her route through education/college and what she has achieved

focusing on positive stuff, not staring into the negative vortex of selfish navel gazing

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It's basically the "Look Dublin folks! Other places exist in Ireland!" show.

lol you cheered me up with that one MD, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Sick of those RnaG punk ads.

It's odd how those ads translate 'dot' as in .ie as 'punk',

but on TG4 they call it 'stad'ie rather than 'punk'ie

I need to get out more ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I would take something like Nationwide any day over the misery that has been Liveline this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

im actually listening to moncreif.

its been THAT bad for me :)

Did the same after 15 mins of Joes misery, staying with the thread OK but going by the comments glad I hit the dial.

current caller:

i, i, i, i, i, i, i, me , me , me , me, i, i, i

i, me

sauce monster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

my friend wrote: »
    its always a positive message

it may be a story about a girl with no arms or legs but they will focus on for example her route through education/college and what she has achieved

focusing on positive stuff, not staring into the negative vortex of selfish navel gazing

Positive stories are fine to broadcast, but the fact that you would prefer no critical discussion is like covering your ears and going 'la la la'.

current caller:

i, me

sauce monster

my my my my my my my my

Positive stories are fine to broadcast, but the fact that you would prefer no critical discussion is like covering your ears and going 'la la la'.

critical discussion is fine, but you wont find it on Whineline either, its Joe's agenda there

current caller:

i, me

sauce monster

You get an awful lot of that with depressed people. Selfishness is a huge part of the condition, it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

current caller:

i, me

sauce monster

I know what you're saying and I'm inclined to agree.

Depression is a scurge, it is a horrible illness, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
    Feck I need to tune in elsewhere, in no mood for my chrimbo party now :(

pathetic fatalistic threats from current caller

shes close to being back on the bottle

shes a cry baby seeking reinforcement

back after these

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

pc7 wrote: »
    Depression is a scurge, it is a horrible illness, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Ah, pc, you've a party to go to, you lucky chap (or chapette) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

pc7 wrote: »

Throw on a few Christmas tunes for a bit, you'll be grand.

Enjoy the Party!

Sensible caller of the day quota reached.

Ah, pc, you've a party to go to, you lucky chap (or chapette) :)

Chapette Anny :) Yeah I'll have to dust my ears out of Joe, stick on a bit of George Michael, get my glad rags on and go freeze the pegs off myself getting there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Skid wrote: »
    Throw on a few Christmas tunes for a bit, you'll be grand.

Enjoy the Party!

May I recommend Derek & Clive sketches on youtube, particularly one about whales. Unless you don't like rude things :p

• Advertisement

You get an awful lot of that with depressed people. Selfishness is a huge part of the condition, it seems.

Maybe the selfishness is part of their character make up and is as much a contributing factor to the depression as it is an apparent symptom?

Ulimately we are individuals...selfishness is a self-preservatory response in many situations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement