Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIVELINE Thread - (05/10/11 to 14/02/2012)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Can we obtain an answer to the following question...

How much of the HSE budget is spent on Housing the following:

- families/people that have been evicted by Councils due to anti-social activity

- refugees / immigrants

We need to know, try and see if Joe lets us ask the question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

jesus christ, more doom and gloom, is there nobody apart from tommy that has come through this illness, and even more impressive how did he manage to get on liveline to tell his story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I would not be happy paying the 100 euro household charge just for mental health. Tax is ALREADY supposed to be going to the health service.

Note the word usage:

'suffering'

never

'fighting'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

The problem with liveline when dealing with an issue like this is that anyone with mental health problems is just as likely to get bad advice as good. Apart from all of that you will get reactionary,conspiracy theory cranks and all manner of amateur psychology. All of this goes unchecked by our esteemed host.
    The guy asking for the €100 household charge to go to mental health resources obviously does not realise that billions and billions go in to our health service it's just not directed to where it should be.
    There are people working in our health service that work hard and do a good job;but there are also ALOT of people who actually do nothing and get well paid for it.That money they are getting paid is less money for where it matters.
    I have witnessed these people and those working in the hospitals know who they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

pc7 wrote: »
    Chapette Anny :) Yeah I'll have to dust my ears out of Joe, stick on a bit of George Michael, get my glad rags on and go freeze the pegs off myself getting there! :D

I feel cheered up already. They don't call em glad rags for nothing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

that felt like a very long liveline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Serious programme today, so I left till the end to put this up:

joeduffy0001.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I think Joe needs to learn what irony means...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What a long Liveline week that was

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I would not be happy paying the 100 euro household charge just for mental health. Tax is ALREADY supposed to be going to the health service.

Better to that than to the pension funds of ex ministers, civil servants and the rest of the early retiring public service hanging their boots up in the new year... which is where much of the 160 million is going in one way or other.

they can hardly weld the crack on the gas tanker? can they? citizens of Belfast evacuate....

What a long Liveline week that was

agreed, i feel 43 instead of 33 after that week, and i feel like opening a bottle of jameson to :eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

instead of 33

that's a good age BDC, same age as Jebus :D

The problem with liveline when dealing with an issue like this is that anyone with mental health problems is just as likely to get bad advice as good. Apart from all of that you will get reactionary,conspiracy theory cranks and all manner of amateur psychology. All of this goes unchecked by our esteemed host.
    The guy asking for the €100 household charge to go to mental health resources obviously does not realise that billions and billions go in to our health service it's just not directed to where it should be.
    There are people working in our health service that work hard and do a good job;but there are also ALOT of people who actually do nothing and get well paid for it.That money they are getting paid is less money for where it matters.
    I have witnessed these people and those working in the hospitals know who they are.

- families/people that have been evicted by Councils due to anti-social activity

- refugees / immigrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

wtf .. I had to take a phone call.. turned back on the radio and Groundskeeper Willie is talking about Polar Bears..

agreed, i feel 43 instead of 33 after that week, and i feel like opening a bottle of jameson to :eek:

have you ever tried Kilbeggan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

That money they are getting paid is less money for where it matters.

You're right of course...money being thrown at the problems hasn't worked when much of it is in wage increases and spending in areas where there is little return and no direct impact on the patients themselves
    I too have witnessed in small ways the wastage that goes on in some of these places...blowing yearly budgets on unnecessary works toward the end of the period so they'll get more next year. Made up jobs and tiers of jobs mainly managerial and admin and associated red tape which can add further to other costs. Reliance on more costly agency staff in the wake of self imposed recruitment moratorium that supposed to cut costs...and all this going on out of reach of our politicians it would seem.

my friend wrote: »

- refugees / immigrants

I have no idea. Maybe you could find out with a FOI request or maybe the figures are actually published somewhere.Try the CSO website.

pc7 wrote: »
    that's a good age BDC, same age as Jebus :D

ha thanks, in fact ive actually aged another year, i was 34 last week not 33, that damn depressing liveline ages ya without you even knowing :(

• Advertisement

us meathmen couldnt possibly try anything in association with west meath unless they are female :D

Middleton is nice but verrry pricey. Macallan single malt is the best I've had.

us meathmen couldnt possibly try anything in association with west meath unless they are female :D

feckin Jameson is from Cork !!!!!!!! :eek:

anyways, Meath used to stretch to the Shannon and encompassed Kilbeggan back in the Brehon Law days...

that richard lad's voice on mooney is almost as depressing as liveline :eek: what the hell is going on in rte

Middleton is nice but verrry pricey. Macallan single malt is the best I've had.

dont you mean mmmmmmmmmiddleton!

was that mooneys gaydar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Looked like yer man was going to have to leave the BBC studio, lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

wtf .. I had to take a phone call.. turned back on the radio and Groundskeeper Willie is talking about Polar Bears..
    I thought it was Jackie Stewart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

So for the week ahead, the issues of the nation and the wider world take a back seat as Joe presents us with what he seems enjoys more than anything else.

Lists.

Joe loves lists and nobody does top 10 lists like him. Stand by for the top 10 books of the year, the top 10 highlights of the year and the top 10 low points etc etc...

"As voted by youse, the listeners to Lahvline" doncha know !

He usually has an author or two on the line during the top 10 book show, so expect lots of sycophantic gushing and fawning and a high 'well done well done' count. I'm hoping Paddy Powers will open a book on the number of times he says the word 'Fantastic'.

Friday's show will feature callers from the four corners of the world (the more exotic the better according to Joe last week) sending greetings bemused relatives here in Ireland, who probably had them on Skype the night before. Expect a poem and a song and the customary few tears. From my memory of this show last year, it consisted of Irish people in far off places trying to outdo each other with tales of their magnificent success in those far off places, followed by Joe telling them how 'Brilliant' they were.

Personally, I'd love to hear from a Paddy, the owner some illicit sheebeen in the middle of North Korea telling Joe how the 10 days of mourning for the Dear Leader is crippling his trade, and if things don't pick up soon, he'll have to consider moving home. Someone like that would definitely make my top 10 list of Liveline callers !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Joes on newstalk now ivan yates licking his backside

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement