Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIVELINE Thread - (05/10/11 to 14/02/2012)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

withless wrote: »
    Poor Joe. So out of his depth.
    Sure there is a liveline phone-in-a-me-poll and sure we all know how scientific they are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Funny when that girl was espousing the power of feminism and the dog starts barking in the background:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've abandoned Liveline this week as it's been super terrible. From reading these here comments, I haven't missed much..

Predictions on highs and lows of year?

Low will probably be something that happened recently (because liveline listeners have short memories) and in Dublin, so probably Priory Hall?
    High will be something stupid that wasn't all that great really, the soccer perhaps? (don't lynch me all at once please)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

I actually listened back to yesterday's show..... :o

I could only manage half of it. I couldn't take Joe pontificating about who should live in Farmleigh nor his embarrassing attempts to try and remember how to prounance Lynott. He managed to prounance it 2 different ways in the same sentence! :rolleyes:

Is it highs and lows today? Maybe the "I can't read that out" result of the presidential text poll will be included in either catagory.... or both! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

So today its your highlights of 2011, vote from this list:

Highs
    A - ARAB SPRING
    B - BARACK OBAMA
    C - OCCUPY DAME STREET
    D - DUBS WIN THE ALL IRELAND
    E - QUEEN’S VISIT
    F - FIVER FRIDAY
    G - GOLFER RORY MCILROY WINS THE U.S. MASTERS
    H - ROYAL WEDDING
    I - IRELAND QUALIFIES FOR EURO 2012
    J - JEDWARD AT EUROVISION

LOWS
    K - CELEBRITIES GO WILD PHONE BILL
    L - IMPRISONMENT OF IRISH TRAINED DOCTORS IN BAHRAIN
    M - MISS PIGGY INCIDENT IN DAIL EIREANN
    N - END OF WESTLIFE
    O - EURO CRISIS
    P - PRIORY HALL
    Q - THE BIG SNOW
    R - RUGBY IRELAND DEFEAT TO WALES IN WORLD CUP QUARTER FINALS
    S - DEMISE OF SUNDAY TRIBUNE
    T - THE TROIKA

You're supposed to ring in and discuss your highs of 2011. I see in that list it includes Dubs win All Ireland? No mention of Kilkenny winning the hurling, who said this wasn't Ballyer 88.5 FM? Whats the odds that yer man from Moneygall will be on to tell us that Obama came to town......... *sigh*. No mention of FF getting a kicking in the GE either.......hmmmmmmm. Though Fiver Friday gets a mention, the initiative that got our unemployment rate down from 14.4% to 5.6%, or maybe not.

My own Liveline highlight was Joe trying to read out the presidential poll that put McGuinness (who I despise) top of the list, my low was realising that in the depression of 2009 Joes wages had not taken a 10% drop as he led us to believe but a ca 4% drop from €408,000 in 08 to €390,000 in 09.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

well my liveline highlight of the year was joe reading out the presidential poll clearly not wanting to mention that mcguinness topped it and then about 2-3 weeks later saying it was a long time (think it was a year he said) since they 1st done a poll and mickey d topped it and then didnt even mention the mcguinness one.

2nd highlight was obviously every one of the funny fridays, oh how they had me in stitches laughing, long may they continue :P

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Apologies for the delay in having a look at this thread. I'd like to reply to the people who commented on my interview on Liveline on 16/12/11
    my friend wrote: »
    why are some depressed people always trying to draw parallels and questionable connections that route back to themselves?

reference, last caller Tommy a perfect example.

Because as I said the roots of my depression were in my childhood, not in some chemical imbalance in my mind. The connections were not in the least questionable.
    in the show on Tuesday or Wednesday it was said the women in grangegorman were listening to liveline, now i ask what positivity can these poor women or any person suffering with mental health problems take from this show in the last few days.

Absolutely none, doom gloom and then suicide, duffy if he really wanted to highlight the illness fairly, would've had more people like that man tommy on, somebody who has come through it, but why would he want to do that, thats a positive story.

Thanks Big Daddy Cool. That's why I went on air as I felt it was a positive story.
    jesus christ, more doom and gloom, is there nobody apart from tommy that has come through this illness, and even more impressive how did he manage to get on liveline to tell his story.

Actually Big Daddy Cool, it was a bit of a struggle to get on air. I phoned the programme late on Monday after I heard someone saying they were doing well because they were taking their medication. They put me in the queue at 2.45pm but the show ended before they got round to me. They phoned me back at 10am the following morning saying they were very interested in my story and I was expecting them to put me on air on Tuesday.
    However on Friday after hearing of that woman's suicide I was quite annoyed and it was only after sending in a second text they rang me back. I complained why they wouldn't allow me to go on air as I would have ended up like Anne if I had continued with the psychiatric services.

Thanks to everyone for listening and to those who gave feedback on this thread to my own and other people's stories. These topics are being discussed more openly nowadays thus reducing the stigma associated with the whole area of mental illness.

And a special thanks to Joe Duffy who spent a week dealing with this topic and who has not been afraid to highlight this topic before.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

High of the year Joe Duffy going on holidays

Low of the year that plank damian filling in for joe

Arab spring?? Didnt know that happened in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

My High was the end of those Neil Diamond ads, even Neil himself was delighted:

neil_diamond_added_to_rock_and_roll_hall_of_fame_2011_music_scene.jpg

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

These polls are just a revenue-generating exercise!
    Don't rté get a very small amount for each text received?

AtariJaguar.jpg

Occupy Dame Street just to annoy Joe. :D

snubbleste wrote: »
    These polls are just a revenue-generating exercise!
    Don't rté get a very small amount for each text received?

Standard Text Mesage price, so AFAIK just the phone providers and service provider (Phonovation or someone).

bijapos wrote: »
    So today its your highlights of 2011, vote from this list:

Highs
    A - ARAB SPRING
    B - BARACK OBAMA
    C - OCCUPY DAME STREET
    D - DUBS WIN THE ALL IRELAND
    E - QUEEN’S VISIT
    F - FIVER FRIDAY
    G - GOLFER RORY MCILROY WINS THE U.S. MASTERS
    H - ROYAL WEDDING
    I - IRELAND QUALIFIES FOR EURO 2012
    J - JEDWARD AT EUROVISION

LOWS
    K - CELEBRITIES GO WILD PHONE BILL
    L - IMPRISONMENT OF IRISH TRAINED DOCTORS IN BAHRAIN
    M - MISS PIGGY INCIDENT IN DAIL EIREANN
    N - END OF WESTLIFE
    O - EURO CRISIS
    P - PRIORY HALL
    Q - THE BIG SNOW
    R - RUGBY IRELAND DEFEAT TO WALES IN WORLD CUP QUARTER FINALS
    S - DEMISE OF SUNDAY TRIBUNE
    T - THE TROIKA

You're supposed to ring in and discuss your highs of 2011. I see in that list it includes Dubs win All Ireland? No mention of Kilkenny winning the hurling, who said this wasn't Ballyer 88.5 FM? Whats the odds that yer man from Moneygall will be on to tell us that Obama came to town......... *sigh*. No mention of FF getting a kicking in the GE either.......hmmmmmmm. Though Fiver Friday gets a mention, the initiative that got our unemployment rate down from 14.4% to 5.6%, or maybe not.

My own Liveline highlight was Joe trying to read out the presidential poll that put McGuinness (who I despise) top of the list, my low was realising that in the depression of 2009 Joes wages had not taken a 10% drop as he led us to believe but a ca 4% drop from €408,000 in 08 to €390,000 in 09.

Or the Election of Micheal D. Higgins as Ireland's Ninth President!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

When did mcilroy win the masters? could have sworn it was the us open.

And no mention of the new president...jesus christ almighty fiver friday trumps the presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

The lows: People ringing in to complain about illegal business signs being taken down by the council. The lad ringing in to complain about water charges because he has two ponds. The Fry model railway.

The highs: FF's decimation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Do you realize your signature is not grammatically correct?

Elmo wrote: »
    I have ever stated that I hate The Big Bang Theory ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Captain BringDown on the Highs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

my low: the amount of shameless product/company plugging on both liveline and the mooney show

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Joe backing up the Moore St trader who openly admitted to working and drawing the dole at the same time, and then going on to have a go at Revenue, Customs, SW and the Gardai for doing their day to day job.

Just another low point in listening to him pontificate from his ivory pulpit.

• Advertisement

There is one thing I dont get about GAA. It's when someone says "and the dubs win, wow, we havn't seen something like that since the 70's".

I sort of wonder, why is it so strange for the county that has the most people in it to have the best team in one particular sport in one particular competition, in one particular year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Tuned in for a total of five minutes...what waffle..apparently this is fantastic, wonderful, amazing radio..

Swicthed off..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

When you look at those "lows" you realize how little we have to worry about in this country.

Most of them effect tiny amounts of people.

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Tuned in for a total of five minutes...what waffle..apparently this is fantastic, wonderful, amazing radio..

Swicthed off..

Its meant to be similar to the weekly roundup that I think Pat Kenny does with these faceless 'experts' on giving their opinions on the year. Its better than having Syl Fox of Brush Sheilds, but only just.

When you look at those "lows" you realize how little we have to worry about in this country.

Most of them effect tiny amounts of people.

+ a million.

Are we gonna get another "praise be to allah" from Joe?

Joe duffy think he inspired the libiyans?

neris wrote: »
    Joe duffy think he inspired the libiyans?

Joe Duffy thinks he liberated Libya by proxy.

EDIT: Blimey, not a lot of comments on here today.

syklops wrote: »
    Do you realize your signature is not grammatically correct?

I don't care! It just proves how ****ing dyslexic I am :)

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Joe Duffy thinks he liberated Libya by proxy.

EDIT: Blimey, not a lot of comments on here today.

Usually this thread and Liveline will cheer me up of an evening, but tonight, I'm slightly depressed. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement