Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIVELINE Thread - (05/10/11 to 14/02/2012)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

This is annoying me..quinn caused this whole thing himself..nobody else forced him to buy into the anglo irish pyramid scheme.

He should be ashamed of himself for putting the jobs in his companies under threat.

this country is a joke at times and this guy painting him as some sort of victim is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Listening to this reminds me of the scenes up river in Apocalypse Now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Tears at my computer screen listening to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

He only ran up a debt of 2.8 Billion euro.

Sure an honest mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

He always remained in the State.

Except when he was pretending to operate from the North, to get out of Bankruptcy here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

"Created 6000 jobs" FUG OFF!

And how many jobs did he and his ilk destroy since the Ponzi Scheme he was part of came tumbling down around the rest of us?

Listening to this reminds me of the scenes up river in Apocalypse Now

Youre closer to the mark than you think

Where is the balance for that 'Sean Quinn is a Saint' caller?

If they are not going to have a caller with a different (sane) viewpoint, Duffy should put the hard questions to the first caller**

(**I know that sounds ridiculous but a decent presenter would do it)

I love when irish politicians preacj about transparency.

Then you hear this and the fact that we need whisteblower legislation for people to do their jobs properly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Someone needs to tell that guy that the whistleblower legislation in the You Kay is constantly ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

If Sean Quinn raped his granny this guy would praise him.

I recently rewatched a documentary from 2006 (hosted by Craig Doyle at his smarmiest) - Ireland's richest list. The b'auld Sean Quinn was in it, naturally, and he was remarking how he wasn't a gambler, bar playing poker with the local lads where he may win or lose a tenner. I wonder was he talking out of his hole back then, or did he get a dose of gambling fever since? It's a big jump from a home poker game for €10 to trying to buy a controlling interest in a bank for €2,700,000,000...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I dont agree with all this vilifying of Sean Quinn.. He's certainly has done a lot wrong, and particularly in the last year have been less than genuine given his pledge "to pay back every penny he owes to the taxpayer".... But the man has created thousands of jobs and pulled BILLIONS in to the state over a period of decades.

Why he doulbed his bets on those contracts for difference, nobody will ever know... All I can say is that if this was characteristic of his business skills, then he wouldnt have created the successful businesses he did.
    The IDA create jobs for a fraction of what Sean Quinn has cost the Irish taxpayer

The IDA bring multinational companies here and give them loads of concessions on rates, rent etc etc.. They announce it with a fanfare, patting themselves on the back.. And then when the companies eventually pull out, the IDA are nowhere to be found... And they do NOTHING to help real indigenous Irish businesses.

Paddy likes to be told the truth but will believe anything

Yakuza wrote: »
    I recently rewatched a documentary from 2006 (hosted by Craig Doyle at his smarmiest) - Ireland's richest list. The b'auld Sean Quinn was in it, naturally, and he was remarking how he wasn't a gambler, bar playing poker with the local lads where he may win or lose a tenner. I wonder was he talking out of his hole back then, or did he get a dose of gambling fever since? It's a big jump from a home poker game for €10 to trying to buy a controlling interest in a bank for €2,700,000,000...

Its incredible when you analyse it.

No late breakeen Joe? Three minutes left.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

She said "I hope I won't get into trouble"

and Joe Duffy told her that she wouldn't.

He was very emphatic about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Somebody should do something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If she had a 6 month contract whats the problem?

It wasnt renewed.

the man has created thousands of jobs and pulled BILLIONS in to the state over a period of decades.

And by defaulting on his loans he cost the State Billions within a few years.

And broke lots of Company Law. And ran to the North to escape his obligations here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Broadcast tax?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What did I miss today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Joe Joe! We need to start a petition Joe! Suresuresure, Mooney's next...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Skid wrote: »

And broke lots of Company Law. And ran to the North to escape his obligations here.

Yep. He's cost the country a lot more than he gave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Joe Duffy is not my cup of tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

syklops wrote: »
    What did I miss today?

All about the broadcast tax:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Skid wrote: »

Well that was my point Skid.. he has cost us billions certainly, but people seem to ignore the billions that he has pulled in over the years... Not saying that that makes everything alright, but you have to give a bit of balance..

The man did do substantial good for the State, not like the other people we are picking up the tab for... i.e. Ray Grehan, Sean Dunne, David Drumm, etc etc. .. They did NO good for the State, just for themselves..

Joe Duffy is not my cup of tea!

Sell that slogan to Barry's Tea. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

syklops wrote: »
    What did I miss today?

Joe cost a woman her job, angry Dubs, the canonisation of Seán Quinn. Standard fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I dont agree with all this vilifying of Sean Quinn.. He's certainly has done a lot wrong, and particularly in the last year have been less than genuine given his pledge "to pay back every penny he owes to the taxpayer"....

His involvement with Anglo Irish was nothing more than filthy greed on his behalf, and in doing so he put the jobs of all his employees on the line. These employees are the same morons who think that everyone is out to get him. They should wake up and smell the coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Well that was my point Skid.. he has cost us billions certainly, but people seem to ignore the billions that he has pulled in over the years... Not saying that that makes everything alright, but you have to give a bit of balance..

The man did do substantial good for the State, not like the other people we are picking up the tab for... i.e. Ray Grehan, Sean Dunne, David Drumm, etc etc. .. They did NO good for the State, just for themselves..

Well in fairness, the only voice on Joe today talking about Quinn was taking your view. So having a bit of villifying would be balance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement