Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIVELINE Thread - (05/10/11 to 14/02/2012)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The amount of paper work involved in that. Its not like spina bifida is a short term ailment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

"And zeeeeee winner is...........

dh_artisit_20120124135144121404-420x0.jpg

...Just Joe..."

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

Aren't the Oscars held in the Kodak theatre?

They'll have to change that now, Joe.

It's a sham Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Way too much about the health service on Liveline.. RTE should have a dedicated medical show if they want to down that route... I mean how does it make sense to employ all these people in the HSE to deal with people's complaints, and then when they dont deal with the complaints satisfactorily, they ring 400k a year Joe Duffy to act as intermediary..

I agree, Joe Duffy is effectively acting as a Health Ombudsman.

However, I can see why people are choosing to ring to Joe to air their grievances. Currently, if you make a complaint against the HSE, the HSE's own complaints/appeals process can take a year. It can take a year because the HSE are inundated with complaints and they don't have the staff to deal with the demand for their service. They blame administrative delays on staff recruitment embargos, the HSE's early retirement deal and people who are on sick/maternity leave not being replaced.

If you are not happy with the HSE's decision after they have investigated your complaint, you can refer your complaint to the Ombudsman but they are under resourced also and it can take a further year for them to investigate your complaint.

If the Ombudman finds in your favour, they will issue recommendations to the HSE and you then have to wait until the HSE have the time to action them. The entire process could take over two years:eek:

I can see why people ring Joe or give interviews to TV3/RTE News instead of going down the road of making complaints to the HSE or the Ombudsman, the sad reality is that organisations like the HSE are more likely to act on your complaint if you complain to the media :mad: The only thing that seems to spur the HSE into action is negative publicity. Louise Baliff's case is a prime example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Don't you see that Joe Duffy's responsibility should be to tackle those intrinsic problems as you have pointed out? Getting one person moved up a queue does nothing to change the overall picture. He should be looking at the incongruities in Irish society that have led us to be in this mess and why we never really are capable of moving on in any way under our own steam.

It is a pet peeve of mine that with someone more reasoned in the role, these issues could be teased out and give a holistic tone to the 'national debate' on Liveline.

Maybe on FFriday we will see the big change.

• Advertisement

withless wrote: »
    Don't you see that Joe Duffy's responsibility should be to tackle those intrinsic problems as you have pointed out?

It's most definitely not his role to be acting as a "Health Ombudsman" but people are turning to him and other media outlets out of sheer desperation.

The Office of the Ombudsman should be given adequate resources and the necessary powers to make the HSE address complaints in a timely fashion.

People are skipping the HSE complaints/appeal process and are by-passing the Ombudsman's Office and going directly to the media as going through the complaints process takes too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Yakuza wrote: »
    Jaysus, will people ever learn to look after their own frigging bills and debts? This shít needs to be taught in schools. I said the same thing when the Home Payments story broke last year.
    Why not just handle your own bills.

These "services" don't make any sense if you give it even the slightest bit of thought.
    I know we've said this already, but why the hell didnt she have the direct debit set up with the ESB... Even if she requires the service to pay other bills, she can pay the ESB by direct debit, and doesnt have to give any money to this company (i.e. and not risk them going wallop and losing the money)..

Yeah, I cant understand how she (and others) can pay 400 quid a month to these crowd and they cant just pay their bills like normal people do::rolleyes: the mind boggles:confused:

I was shouting at the radio

MrsD007 wrote: »
    It's most definitely not his role to be acting as a "Health Ombudsman" but people are turning to him and other media outlets out of sheer desperation.

The Office of the Ombudsman should be given adequate resources and the necessary powers to make the HSE address complaints in a timely fashion.

People are skipping the HSE complaints/appeal process and are by-passing the Ombudsman's Office and going directly to the media as going through the complaints process takes too long.

Yeah. These are the same points you made in your first post. We'll come back to you after the break.

Don't you see that Joe Duffy's responsibility should be to tackle those intrinsic problems as you have pointed out? Getting one person moved up a queue does nothing to change the overall picture. He should be looking at the incongruities in Irish society that have led us to be in this mess and why we never really are capable of moving on in any way under our own steam.

It is a pet peeve of mine that with someone more reasoned in the role, these issues could be teased out and give a holistic tone to the 'national debate' on Liveline.

Maybe on FFriday we will see the big change.
    Yeah. These are the same points you made in your first post. We'll come back to you after the break.

You seem to feel that Joe Duffy has a duty to get to the root cause of the problems in the health service, I disagree, that is the role of Cathal Magee (HSE CEO), he gets paid €322,000 a year for the role, he seriously needs to get his house in order. I'm sure most listeners are tired of people complaining to Joe about our failing health system day in day out.

The boss of the HSE gets less than the presenter of Liveline?

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

The boss of the HSE gets less than the presenter of Liveline?

Really?

And he gets more then enda too. Easy money if u can get it. 75 mins of muttering well done well done

MrsD007 wrote: »
    You seem to feel that Joe Duffy has a duty to get to the root cause of the problems in the health service, I disagree, that is the role of Cathal Magee (HSE CEO), he gets paid €322,000 a year for the role, he seriously needs to get his house in order. I'm sure most listeners are tired of people complaining to Joe about our failing health system day in day out.
    What do you think Joe should do for his 400,000 a year salary that we pay?
    If he takes the calls shouldn't he try to dig deeper into the problem?

I see him as an entrenched part of the establishment that has no real interest in change just moving the deckchairs around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Is there someone on this thread who lives in Brno? I have a question about this city as I am going on holiday there soon. PM me please, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

neris wrote: »
    And he gets more then enda too. Easy money if u can get it. 75 mins of muttering well done well done
    Keep the faith..god bless..peatal-ineeennn

mike kelly wrote: »
    Is there someone on this thread who lives in Brno? I have a question about this city as I am going on holiday there soon. PM me please, thanks.
    syklops I believe, just go back a page or so and you'll find him. He has a transformers logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I wonder did that girl get sorted for her drugs yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

If he takes the calls shouldn't he try to dig deeper into the problem?.

He should dig deeper into some problems but part of the problem with liveline is he lets stupid people on a for a rant about things theyve done and are looking for sympathy. Take that woman months ago who was on about internet chatrooms and some young lad from north africa she met who did a runner once she got him here. Joe really should have been telling her to cop on and not be so stupid or at least have other callers on debating her stupidity and self pity or agreeing with her. He is very much biased towards one side of a caller especially if there grief is with a company/organisation or state run body. The caller can be wrong but in joes eyes their a victim.

Sit around in Limerick on Friday with a load of has-beens reading from the 1955 Hal Roach bumper joke book and giggling, on a show that would have been booted off hospital radio in a closed ward years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I wonder did that girl get sorted for her drugs yet?

I've been up all night worrying about it Sept... Not sure what they're talking about today.. probably paying back the unsecured bondholders.. ?

something about smoking/health/profits today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Todays portion of sh1te broadcasting involves the story that Centra owners have voted a pack of B&H fags as product of the year. They had the audacity to put it ahead of salt-of-the-earth fare such as Brennans bread, Tayto and some other stuff. Joe sounds angry that they overlooked the common mans basic groceries and he has an angry man on to denounce Centra.

Also more medical card problems.

Why PM when you can dial 1850 715 815 and talk to Joe about your proposed trip to Ber-in-know.

Sit around in Limerick on Friday with a load of has-beens reading from the 1955 Hal Roach bumper joke book and giggling, on a show that would have been booted off hospital radio in a closed ward years ago?

.....and do the same thing with the same sad clowns repeating ancient gags every month probably forever, now that "Funny Friday" has found its' niche place in Joes' busy calendar at the end of each month.

It really is money for nothing........no wonder he thinks it's genuinely funny.:(

I've been up all night worrying about it Sept... Not sure what they're talking about today.. probably paying back the unsecured bondholders.. ?

Knowing Joe it will be the scandal surrounding Greyhounds' unsecured bin-liners.

miketv wrote: »
    something about smoking/health/profits today

Think Joseph is boxing above his weight on this one

Big Tobacco won't lie down like the head shops and the HSE:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

there was something on the news yesterday about Dalkey residents opposing oil drilling off their private Coast.

i'm looking forward to hearing them on the phone to Joe, at some stage.

Too far away from Clontarf.:)

there was something on the news yesterday about Dalkey residents opposing oil drilling off their private Coast.

i'm looking forward to hearing them on the phone to Joe, at some stage.

I would say the local residents are sh1ting themselves,if they discover large amounts of oil/gas out there there is no way they could block bringing billions into the Irish economy

Lovely view alright:D

oil7_460x276.jpg

Ivor callely just arrested for fraud, wonder will we get an update from the Great Man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

a funny friday promo :eek:.......i mean :)

• Advertisement

Must be getting desperate if they have a promo for funny ****e friday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement