Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIVELINE Thread - (05/10/11 to 14/02/2012)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

my friend wrote: »
    very few actual good 'old-school' builders out there

the last 10 - 15 years chancers ruled the roost

Thing is the pressure to finish builds to sell for fat profit meant corners were cut and there was inadequate oversight of regulations... there was also a lack of staff from local councils to keep up with new sites and the culture of sub and sub-sub contracting meant that no-one on the site gave a f*ck, overpaid foremen were too busy answering calls from developers and making sure things were getting finished on schedule.
    Plenty of decent builders out there but at that level of building, a multitude of subbies on piece work just meant you go with the flow.

Anegus/mooney live *click*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

orourkeda wrote: »
    Thats right.

We dont give a sh1t about you either

Well you will give a sh1t when you and the rest of us have to pay for their mortages. As the man said earlier, it's just the tip of the iceberg for these developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Jaysoose wrote: »
    +1 its fairly ****ty for these people to be honest, the money was paid in good faith and somebody from the council should be made to explain how certs are handed out for dodgy apartment blocks.

Joe should follow up this topic tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

mike kelly wrote: »
    Joe should follow up this topic tomorrow

He should.... but will he instead find a threatened model railway or a long since forgotten (for a reason :rolleyes: ) minor architech to spend the time on instead?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

will we be spared from Brek today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

sudzs wrote: »
    He should.... but will he instead find a threatened model railway or a long since forgotten (for a reason :rolleyes: ) minor architech to spend the time on instead?

I hear there is a new Herbert Sims exhibition made out of Lego on next week.

my friend wrote: »
    will we be spared from Brek today?
    Sadly not she just bumped into someone ;) not surprised with the size of her:eek:

Sadly not she just bumped into someone ;) not surprised with the size of her:eek:

was that a Munchkin she was shouting at?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Harsh :D

bad karaoke on license fee paid for radio ....

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    Harsh :D

As Nick Lowe said cruel to be kind.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

The Liveline 'production standards' they set for themselves have been particularly bad for the last 2 days.

The American has a pop, swearing and then Joe waffling to the staff.

"Can't the DCC or CAB or the government do something?":pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Those fire officers in the council are a shower of shisters. Were opening a new business premises and got an architect in did up full specs and fire alarm. Fire officer came back told us they wanted internal plasterboards to be fire resistant and the fire alarm system changed from somthing which would have been more then suitable to a costlier over the top system. Think with the Celtic tiger gone these dcc planning/foire guys have too much time on their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Missed the last 40 mins of the show today,gonna hit the podcast after work to hear what went on with ann!

I dont know her but i think i should! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Joe Duffy will be a guest on The Late Late Show on Friday, plugging his new book :eek:, according to Waspo on the TV Forum.

Liveline and The Late Late Show should never meet like this, it's like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters - anything could happen :eek:

If anyones passing the alfie byrne/clontarf road junction tonight have a look for the big mound of earth. maybe its the start of the flood defences. saw it earlier but couldnt get a pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

furiousox wrote: »
    Did someone try and steal her handbag in the carpark?

to be honest as i listened ...it was the best part of the show..

all i heard was ..."the drawbridge is up"...then mayhem...

i can only think anne set her own hair on fire with the realisation her sister blew her nutsack on the paper mache apartment..

joe...these apartments were almost blown down....that was a great line ..

also ..patrick said at one point...he didnt know what he was going to do for xmas ..or what imminent meant...lol.hair-on-fire.jpg?w=470

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭WASP0

Skid wrote: »
    Joe Duffy will be a guest on The Late Late Show on Friday, plugging his new book :eek:, according to Waspo on the TV Forum.

Liveline and The Late Late Show should never meet like this, it's like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters - anything could happen :eek:

Here's the link Skid.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/joe-to-tell-of-heartache-over-pal-gerry-on-late-late-2903043.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

WASP0 wrote: »

Here's the link Skid.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/joe-to-tell-of-heartache-over-pal-gerry-on-late-late-2903043.html
    so that's the death topic sorted for Fridays show.

dav3 wrote: »
    Well you will give a sh1t when you and the rest of us have to pay for their mortages. As the man said earlier, it's just the tip of the iceberg for these developments.

read today that the developer is a former hunger striker. the NI prison system obviously offered great further education courses (although their fire safety module seems to be have been somewhat lacking)

• Advertisement

sales of Joe's book (or lack thereof) will be a good indicator of Ireland's potential to change from being a gombeen / gob****e dominated society into a modern social democracy, more accurate than one of his tele polls

seriously, read this

"Duffy has also told of his "insecurity and worry" at being told by bosses at the Montrose broadcaster that he was not entitled to sick pay after a leg operation. "In my 23 years in RTE, I only took one single day off sick prior to being knocked down, so I thought the decision to refuse me sick pay was unfair, to say the least."

so Damien O'Reilly hasn't been presenting about one third of shows lately, it's actually Joe putting on a country accent

seriously, read this

"Duffy has also told of his "insecurity and worry" at being told by bosses at the Montrose broadcaster that he was not entitled to sick pay after a leg operation. "In my 23 years in RTE, I only took one single day off sick prior to being knocked down, so I thought the decision to refuse me sick pay was unfair, to say the least."

Joe must be a very very big spender then if he cant rely on the huge salary he gets from RTE. Off to Ulster Bnak with you Joe to open an Henry Hippo savings account for a rainy day

seriously, read this

so Damien O'Reilly hasn't been presenting about one third of shows lately, it's actually Joe putting on a country accent

He's a self employed contractor...thems the breaks.
    Thing is he's contracted to do a job of presenting for the year, less whatever time off he takes (pre agreed holidays and unforeseen engagements)...he still picks up the 400 odd thousand a yr before tax regardless (breaking his leg ws probably tax deductible) and O Reilly stil has to be paid to fill in for him on his down time.
    He's still better off than what he'd be in the situation where he was on PAYE terms in RTÉ...
    The real danger with Duffy being off long term sick is that whoever sits in for him does a better job and there's no well paid position to come back to...

Wertz wrote: »
    He's a self employed contractor...thems the breaks.
    Thing is he's contracted to do a job of presenting for the year, less whatever time off he takes (pre agreed holidays and unforeseen engagements)...he still picks up the 400 odd thousand a yr before tax regardless (breaking his leg ws probably tax deductible) and O Reilly stil has to be paid to fill in for him on his down time.
    He's still better off than what he'd be in the situation where he was on PAYE terms in RTÉ...
    The real danger with Duffy being off long term sick is that whoever sits in for him does a better job and there's no well paid position to come back to...

he gets paid even for the days he takes off? seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I really cant understand what Duffy is giving out about above... He's getting huge money to do an easy job, and a job that has been done better by almost every person RTE have put in filling in for him.. In private industry, the job would have been given to someone else for about quarter of the money..

Unlike any other contractor, he is 100% assured of getting paid and assured of work as RTE wont fire him... And from what I'm aware HE CHOSE to go on contract because it allowed him to take home more money than being an RTE staffer.. and still he expects to be paid when he is not there??? Most companies would expect him to supply and pay for a replacement..

he gets paid even for the days he takes off? seriously?

He'd be contracted for so many days a year and paid on a yearly contractual basis, I'd assume...open to correction on this.
    The "so many days a year" would allow for 8 weeks holidays or whatever he takes and a few extra days for unforeseen personal circumstances.
    He doesn't get paid per day, he gets paid per year or per portion of the contractual term...
    If he gets sick then he's off without pay...and he has to provide his own pension and healthcare. Just like any other self employed individual.

[edit] Anyway before I'm cited for off topic or whatever, reckon we'll be discussing some of the presidential debate today...and perhaps some aggrieved landlords moaning about propsed changes to rent allowance/supplement...or perhaps something happened in dublin last night that the country should hear about for 75 minutes...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

It will be a total jerk off session and love in. RTE presenters like Duffy and Tubridy do nothing better than plug each others books, the flop that was Tubridys "JFK in Ireland" a prime example.

There will be a tear wiped from Joes eye as urged on by Tubridy he reminisces and coincidentally puts himself on a plinth with his herculean rise from the black hole that is Ballyer (in his own words). Rip down that statue of big Jim Larkin on O'Connell St and get one ready for Duffy.

I'm visiting the oul fella this weekend, he will sadly have the Late Late on, no chance of him moving, Saturday and Sunday nights are his pub nights. I'll have to have the sick bucket ready.:(

another plug for an RTE insiders book

• Advertisement

Ah bewks....another topical disucssion for our Joseph.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement