Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIVELINE Thread - (05/10/11 to 14/02/2012)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Well it sounds a bit trite to just dismiss them as "borderline hysterical".
    I have lots of theories, usually after I've had a few pints, but I don't get the opportunity to have them printed in a national newspaper. If a scientist is afforded the oppotunity to have his theories published in a newspaper, then he should have the courage of his convictions to back them up when his theories are challenged by people at the coalface of the problem.

Tbh I dismissed them as a border hysterical. Dr Humphrys has a column in the examiner, and so responding to calm but thought out letters of complaint in the examiner would be an appropriate way of addressing it. Not on a radio station, and especially not on Liveline where Master of Ceremonies Joe Duffy can bring on a host of outraged callers to shout at Dr Humphreys, talk over him and not let him make a succint point. I can see it now "You may be a Doctor, but Im a mother so there!".

The issue would never get resolved, it would just get people angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Have you a link to support that Simon Baron-Cohen remark? I'm familar with his work and he has never attributed autism to a lack of love and attention from parents.

Apologies for the confusion. My remark was in reference to the autism link to the parents of mathematicians / engineers/ etc. It was mentioned several times during the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

SeaFields wrote: »
    Apologies for the confusion. My remark was in reference to the autism link to the parents of mathematicians / engineers/ etc. It was mentioned several times during the show.
    Thanks for that SeaFields, Baron-Cohen has done some really wonderful work in the area of autism research. If Humphreys wants to really understand autism, I'd highly recommend he read Baron-Cohen's research or better still, visit his autism research unit in the University of Sunderland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'm convinced Joe gives his sound engineer a signal to let him know when he wants to sigh heavily.

And the engineer then obediently enhances the volume for full effect.

suzie987 wrote: »

But - skylops makes a great point - how do we know that he did not have a scientific paper written on the topic, yet the paper choose to edit Humphries to sensationalize it? This is done so often

All in all, I don't think he comes out well from it

It appears according to this note on the examiner website that and I am quoting source that "We have been heavily criticised for publishing his column", which would sound like the subject was written by Dr Humphries himself.

However, it still could mean that specifics were omitted during the editorial.

Even if what he said was unedited, the controversy should really be happening on the pages of the Examiner in calm, moderated letters. Not hysterical women on the phone.

• Advertisement

Bloody hell, no comments for the first 20 mins of the show, but comments still appearing 40 minutes after it ended.

Joe has even gotten us riled up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Liveline is really an inappropriate forum for sensitive issues such as this. I think they willingly let people make a spectacle of themselves. Don't shoot me if you don't agree, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

Have you a link to support that Simon Baron-Cohen remark? I'm familar with his work

I too am familiar with Baron Cohen's work.

borat_280_1240972a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

You have it wrong my friend, she is very angry with Tom Humphreys not her child with autism. He is saying that children with autism have it due to a lack of love and attention from their parents, she is merely pointing out that she spends 80% of her time with her daughter with special needs.
    she is merely pointing out that she spends 80% of her time with her daughter with special needs

And she came across as a woman who entirely resented that fact, and sounded peed off as her three "normal" suffer because of it, Jesus.

I suggest you take another listen to the way she talks about the non "normal" child as she puts it. No one talks about their child that way, she's a cnut and doesn't deserve children. Anyone that resents their child as their "normal" ones suffer is a cnut. Simples

I too am familiar with Baron Cohen's work.

borat_280_1240972a.jpg
    Sacha Baron Cohen is actually a cousin of Simon Baron Cohen ;)

• Advertisement

Here is Kevin Mitchell's response to Dr. Tony Humphrey's article. Kevin is Associate Professor of Genetics and Neuroscience in Trinity College.

‘Psychobabble’ has been discredited for decades

Tuesday, February 07, 2012

The article by Tony Humphreys claiming that autism is caused by "cold" or emotionally distant parents, displays such willful ignorance, lack of understanding and density of inaccurate and offensive statements that it is shocking that the Irish Examiner would publish it. This kind of psycho-babble has been discredited for decades.

Autism is a biological, brain-based disorder. It is also a genetic disorder. The scientific evidence for these statements is overwhelming. We now know of more than 100 distinct genetic conditions that can result in autistic symptoms.

These conditions affect early development of the brain and researchers are making progress in understanding how that results in the specific symptoms seen in autism, which may range widely in severity.

In contrast, the claims by Mr Humphreys are a throwback to psycho-analytic theories that are completely unsupported by any evidence, as well as being actively damaging and hurtful.

In publishing this waffle, your paper does a disservice to responsible journalism and to all the patients, parents and teachers struggling to cope with the real disabilities caused by this condition.

Kevin Mitchell PhD
    Associate Professor of Genetics and Neuroscience,
    Trinity College Dublin

http://www.examiner.ie/opinion/letters/psychobabble-has-been-discredited-for-decades-182906.html

It's not like the Irish Examiner to publish self serving and dangerous waffle.

6838198241_9dbaf0d331.jpg

Very unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭nosey guy

vicwatson wrote: »
    Feck sake your wan " I've three normal children, and this one...." what a cnut. Doesn't deserve children. she hates the poor bastardin child. what a witch.

Not the goddamn child's fault they have a disability.

What a bitch

I was wondering would anyone point this crettin out.She nearly proves the fellas point in the article,she hates her child,at one stage she says,i bring the child to this that the other,the other kids dont get that treatment...AND NO RETURN...she says...no return..like the kid is an investment that went tits up..

Utterly unaware of how she sounded aswell..MAD

I completely disagree, she was frustrated by Tony Humphries comments which suggested that autism was caused by parents who were cold and didn't give their children the attention they needed.

The woman was pointing out the she invests huge time and effort in her child with special needs, taking her to various therapies and activities, basically anything that might help the child's condition.

I've worked in the special needs area and the vast majority of parents I have come in contact with would move mountains to help their children. Many parents of children with autism have to travel 50 miles+ to special schools on a daily basis so that their children receive an education.

Having a child with special needs does place tremendous stress on families, especially siblings, I think that Humphrey's remarks were extremely hurt and insulting to the many families that struggle with autism every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

vicwatson wrote: »
    No WAY is that the real john cleese on that ad. do you think we are thick Aa/rte

Actually, That is the real John Cleese on the AA advert. he has done lots of adverts for the AA.
    The launch of AA Home Emergency Response will be supported by an extensive radio advertising campaign featuring John Cleese which will run on radio stations nationally from today.

http://blog.aaireland.ie/index.php/2012/02/06/aa-home-emergency-response/aa-now-rescues-houses-as-well-as-cars%E2%80%A6
    do you think we are thick Aa/rte

I don't know if the AA or RTE think you are thick . :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

vicwatson banned for 2 days for abusive language towards callers to the radio show. Other posters, take this as a warning - this will not be tolerated and further bans for this may be longer than 2 days.

Yeah, but "abusive language towards callers to the radio show" is kind of what this thread is all about...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

If we were to post only nice things about callers, we'd be lucky to get 3 posts per show!

In fairness, the caliber of callers to Liveline is horrendous...

Gosh, I hope the callers on today's show have jolly interesting points to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

i wonder will the ''impartial'' presenter give derrytrisk gaa club some airtime on the show today. i doubt it somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Yeah, but "abusive language towards callers to the radio show" is kind of what this thread is all about...

No it isn't. If that were the case, it wouldn't be here.

I suggest reading the charter and in particular the section on abuse. For the sake of clarity (and common sense), you can consider the rules there applicable to callers on radio shows as well as presenters.

telekon wrote:
    If we were to post only nice things about callers, we'd be lucky to get 3 posts per show!

In fairness, the caliber of callers to Liveline is horrendous...

If someone is an idiot, you can point out their idiocy without yourself stooping to foul/abusive language.
    Gosh, I hope the callers on today's show have jolly interesting points to make.

I'm sure many Liveline listeners hope this on a daily basis, yet are horribly disappointed.

Here on the Radio forum, I don't care if what you say is "jolly interesting", but under the rules, it will be civil and avoid being blatantly abusive, or it will be deleted and you may be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Here we go again!!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Autism and those who write alleged guff about it... no thanks.

i wonder will the ''impartial'' presenter give derrytrisk gaa club some airtime on the show today. i doubt it somehow.

Is Derrytrisk in or near Ballyfermot? If not then doubtful.

Back to autism. Ah janey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

"we going to continue the discussion of ... "

*rolls back over in the bed*

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

First time in ages I can devote my full attention to Liveline....hope it's a good show.

Though starting with Dr. Humphries and his autism article is not looking good....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

If the article only came out yesterday, why was Liveline asking Tony H to come on the air for the last 3 days????? b :confused:

Maybe I heard that wrong....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

IBTL:eek::eek::eek:

sudzs wrote: »
    If the article only came out yesterday, why was Liveline asking Tony H to come on the air for the last 3 days????? b :confused:

Maybe I heard that wrong....:confused:

It came out on Friday AFAIK.
    First time in ages I can devote my full attention to Liveline....hope it's a good show.

If I devoted my full attention to liveline I'd go cracked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

What is this woman on about.. This has nothing to do with the Government, he's a private individual... The woman knows nothing, but they have her on spouting nonsense in lieu of an expert..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement