Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIVELINE Thread - (05/10/11 to 14/02/2012)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

no mention of David Kelly, when liz taylor died, he devoted a full boring programme to her, David Kelly dies, and he rambles on about a card

Even some market stall biddy in Moore Street got longer on the show when she died than Kelly did just now.

Having said that, I'd prefer if Joe stayed well clear of doing tributes to anyone. His fawning over the deceased and sychophantic platitudes on such occasions are hard to listen to.

All 'Petal' and 'God' and stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Rosiestar wrote: »
    And David Kelly also in Fawlty Towers as the less than useless Irish builder - another classic

A certain foreboding in that show when you think of Priory Hall and others... classic comedy all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Bard wrote: »
    First time tuning in to Liveline in a long time for me...

Was today a typical example, can anyone tell me?

That explains you not getting my EYE-TEE reference earlier. Joe regularly exaggerates certain words in his sentences. The way he said it today it was pointing out that its the first time an EYE TEE person has ever rung Liveline. Or at least the first time since Joe heard the phrase "cloud" about 6 months ago.

Are you the mod who handed out all the bannings there a few days back?

Todays show was not so much typical in that there were actually some quite smart people on. A typical show would be large swathes of people who are so dim you wonder why they dont fall down more. The general theme is about the same as today though.

europa11 wrote: »
    Would you blame him? :D Having to hang on the line since Joe's researcher called him an hour ago, then having to put up with that LEAP of shlte we listened to, and getting all of a minute on air.

Not at all, I am reaching for the Paddy as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Lapin wrote: »
    Even some market stall biddy in Moore Street got longer on the show when she died than Kelly did just now.

Having said that, I'd prefer if Joe stayed well clear of doing tributes to anyone. His fawning over the deceased and sychophantic platitudes on such occasions are hard to listen to.

All 'Petal' and 'God' and stuff like that.

Imagine what he'll be like when his Uncle Gay decides to finally kick God off his throne.

• Advertisement

europa11 wrote: »
    Imagine what he'll be like when his Uncle Gay decides to finally kick God off his throne.

Gaybo will outlive you me and him.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

syklops wrote: »
    Gaybo will outlive you me and him.

Unless we find the portrait in the attic and burn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

That explains you not getting my EYE-TEE reference earlier. Joe regularly exaggerates certain words in his sentences. The way he said it today it was pointing out that its the first time an EYE TEE person has ever rung Liveline. Or at least the first time since Joe heard the phrase "cloud" about 6 months ago.

Fair enough.
    Are you the mod who handed out all the bannings there a few days back?

"All the bannings"? I banned a couple of people from Radio a few days ago, yes. Discussing them here would be off topic though, so we won't do that, thanks. Do feel free to PM me if you want to discuss any bans further though.
    Todays show was not so much typical in that there were actually some quite smart people on. A typical show would be large swathes of people who are so dim you wonder why they dont fall down more. The general theme is about the same as today though.

Yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

withless wrote: »
    It will be a David Kelly day to day. Its sad that Joe will make it embarrassing.
    Well he went one better; all day on trying to blame the leap card because he doesn't know how to work a photocopier.

'Oh yeah David Kelly died, heres 2 chancers who might mention him when they stop the mutual .'

"All the bannings"? I banned a couple of people from Radio a few days ago, yes. Discussing them here would be off topic though, so we won't do that, thanks. Do feel free to PM me if you want to discuss any bans further though.

I dont want to discuss them and will say no more about it, I just think its sort of ironic you banned a few people for making fun of callers to liveline and then say today was the first time you listened to the entire show.

Around here 90% of the fun is poking fun at joe and the miscreants who ring him. That and the womanly wiles of Sudzs.

And thats all I have to say on the matter.

• Advertisement

I dont want to discuss them and will say no more about it, I just think its sort of ironic you banned a few people for making fun of callers to liveline and then say today was the first time you listened to the entire show.

I didn't say it was my first time listening to the show. I said it was my first time listening "in a long time". There's a vast difference between the two, just as there's a vast difference between "making fun of callers" and being blatantly ignorant/abusive towards them. I didn't ban anyone for "making fun".
    Around here 90% of the fun is poking fun at joe and the miscreants who ring him. That and the womanly wiles of Sudzs.

As I said, poking fun is fine. Some people cross the line with the poking of fun and it turns into ignorant abuse. That's not fine.

I doubt that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I have no womanly wiles??? :(

*weeps hysterically*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I have no womanly wiles??? :(
    *weeps hysterically*

nor me (apparently).. :(

nor me (apparently).. :(
    You're a woman?? Well you learn something new every day! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I'm currently picking up some "womenly wiles" from Brek...

Just wondering on the LEAP thing.. Does Joe have any figures as to what percentage of the cards are giving problems or is he just exaggerating the whole thing?

I always had my suspicions. ;)

I always had my suspicions. ;)
    I thought he was Tubridy...so does this mean Tubridy is a woman?? :eek:

I doubt that.

Don't.

I have no womanly wiles???
    Try harder. PM me for directions....

Tubridy is an enigma.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

If old people showered everyday they wouldn't be walking around covered in their own biological debris.

(I'm not near a radio the last few days so hope my post is relevant to todays Whineline)

• Advertisement

my friend wrote: »
    If old people showered everyday they wouldn't be walking around covered in their own biological debris.

(I'm not near a radio the last few days so hope my post is relevant to todays Whineline)

Would believe, thats exactly what Joe was discussing today.

But be careful what you say about old people. You might get banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I've read back through about 10 pages of people giving out about they way stuff is pronounced on the show, and nobody actually talking about what the issues raised on todays show were. What were the callers actual problem with the leap card?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've read back through about 10 pages of people giving out about they way stuff is pronounced on the show, and nobody actually talking about what the issues raised on todays show were. What were the callers actual problem with the leap card?

General cribbing that the system isn't fully up to scratch yet, and some IT dude giving out that the website wasn't great...

Oh and Joe said he swiped his leap card in the RTE photocopier and his name popped up, but the man from leap told him no names are stored on leap cards, so Joe made that up...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,035 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

"You work in the EYE-TEE industry".
    this reminds me of the comdeian who was walking by the Job Centre in the UK and saw a sign in the window, "Do you wanna work, in it?" he misread the "in it" as "innit", he thought the people in the Job centre were trying to use youth speak to atttract younger job seekers

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

What were the callers actual problem with the leap card?

General giving out about the cak handed way the card was introduced, the fact that you cannot top it up in stations, and the length of time it takes for credit to appear on it after topping up online among other things.

And a good deal of ignorance by some of the callers (and Joe himself) about the purpose of the card. They seem to think its a time limit card only deducting a fare for all travel within 90 minutes.

Although I do think that would be a good thing, it was never intended to work like this. The main purpose of it is to eliminate the need for a different ticket for each leg of a journey using different modes of transport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

But be careful what you say about old people. You might get banned.

Who was banned? For what ?

Have the rules for the Whineline thread been changed?

Or is it that we are required to agree with a particular POV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Joes become a mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭nosey guy

Folks, I shouldn't have to tell you this. Stop posting offensive comments about callers or offensive pictures purporting to be them. These posts will be deleted and repeat offenders will be banned.

I c so are these new rules?

I posted up some pictures of ...one was a village idiot ...the other was a farmer.

Didnt realise there was so much offence in those pictures.

Mmmm what exactly is the thread for other than to give your opinion on what is actually being said on the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭furiousox

First Joe came for McSavage, next he came for this thread.... :(

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

nosey guy wrote: »
    I c so are these new rules?

There's nothing new about the rules regarding posting in a civil manner and not being offensive.
    I posted up some pictures of ...one was a village idiot ...the other was a farmer.

And they were deleted. Get over it and move on.
    Mmmm what exactly is the thread for other than to give your opinion on what is actually being said on the show?

Nothing ... and that includes questioning moderator decisions. Post on topic or don't post. If anyone has any further queries regarding moderation of the thread/this board, please read the charter and/or send a PM to one of the moderators.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement