Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIVELINE Thread - (05/10/11 to 14/02/2012)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Wertz wrote: »
    I don't like Duffy..., but I like the topics and I like the idea of a forum for people to talk about stuff in Irish daily life...which Duffy has managed to mangle to his own ends and to suit a furtive agenda on far too many occasions whilst managing to get paid telephone numbers for the privilege.

The reason to get annoyed is because it's a phone in show lasting just over an hour, that requires little talent, yet attracts a pay scale well beyond the CEO of most SMEs in the country.

You were the one who brought up fees over salary...if you understood the concept then why comment on it?
    As for not listening and lessening his fees...it doesn't work like that.

It just seems like you want it both ways...you want to listen to Duffy, you enjoy his programme and yet you want to give out about the presenter and indeed the content.

It doesn't make sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

It just seems like you want it both ways...you want to listen to Duffy, you enjoy his programme and yet you want to give out about the presenter and indeed the content. It doesn't make sense!

You dont get it do you.. People listen because it's Liveline, not because it's Joe Duffy.. Philip Boucher Hayes filled in for Joe and gave a tour de force in how the program should be presented properly...

Then Joe comes back from his long holidays, and he returns to his usual subjective coverage, emphasis on subjects of interest to him personally, painful attempts at humour and puns, stock cliches... and RTE stuff his pockets full of money....

Pay him 100k, not 400k.. anybody can do the job ffs.. I would have no problem if they gave Philip the job for 150k a year...

You dont get it do you.. People listen because it's Liveline, not because it's Joe Duffy.. Philip Boucher Hayes filled in for Joe and gave a tour de force in how the program should be presented properly...

Then Joe comes back from his long holidays, and he returns to his usual subjective coverage, emphasis on subjects of interest to him personally, painful attempts at humour and puns, stock cliches... and RTE stuff his pockets full of money....

Pay him 100k, not 400k.. anybody can do the job ffs.. I would have no problem if they gave Philip the job for 150k a year...

Wait, don't you listen to it every single day? And you're giving out about Joe Duffy...this doesn't make sense!

You want it both ways...you want to come across as cool by giving out about Duffy every day and yet still listen to it..Yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

You're being obtuse at this point. Liveline is bigger than Duffy...or at least it should be...but Duffy manages to turn that on it's head and the show seems to be as much about him as it is about topics of public interest.
    Jon has the nail on the head there... people listen when it's Boucher-Hayes or Damien O Reilly or Derek Davis...they listened when it was Marian Finucane (who used to be great on it IIRC)...it doesn't take a 400K per annum biased presenter to make people tune in...they tune in regardless because they want to hear what's irking the nation most that particular day; it seems of late that the theme of debate have swung in favour of the shows host and production team, over that or the listeners, as evidenced by Duffy himself (for those that were living under a rock) in his book.

For the way it used to be, tune in to the Nolan show on BBC Ulster some morning (if you can stand to)...that's how liveline used to go down; listener lead topics...not host lead topics and pet projects or half assed comedy shows...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

You're being obtuse at this point. Liveline is bigger than Duffy...or at least it should be...but Duffy manages to turn that on it's head and the show seems to be as much about him as it is about topics of public interest.
    Jon has the nail on the head there... people listen when it's Boucher-Hayes or Damien O Reilly or Derek Davis...they listened when it was Marian Finucane (who used to be great on it IIRC)...it doesn't take a 400K per annum biased presenter to make people tune in...they tune in regardless because they want to hear what's irking the nation most that particular day; it seems of late that the theme of debate have swung in favour of the shows host and production team, over that or the listeners, as evidenced by Duffy himself (for those that were living under a rock) in his book.

For the way it used to be, tune in to the Nolan show on BBC Ulster some morning (if you can stand to)...that's how liveline used to go down; listener lead topics...not host lead topics and pet projects or half assed comedy shows...

Absolutely.

Duffy runs it as the "Joe show", using calls to endorse his own agendas, with no attempt at balance. There isn't even much of an attempt to reflect public mood or opinion, if it disagrees with Joe. And that's wrong. Liveline pre-dates him and has a good, strong concept: a forum where ordinary people can discuss anything that matters to them.

Joe isn't even a good broadcaster. He zones out, doesn't seem to be listening, trots out banalities. It seems to me, we accept mediocrity. Those who ascend to the RTE upper echelons can't be touched. Saying that though, I reckon the general public buys Joe's schtick, though I've no way of knowing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its the Mary McAleese Appreciation Show Oh No!

Crystal Meths is what I may need later.

I'd have thought they were going live to Libby A to speak to the Irish freedom fighters on the death of Gaddafi.

If it's a McAleese gushathon again it's time to take hotmail.com's advice perhaps...

I cannot understand why people would listen to Joe Duffy everyday if they don't like him, think he's biased, earns too much etc.. If that's obtuse, then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I cannot understand why people would listen to Joe Duffy everyday if they don't like him, think he's biased, earns too much etc.. If that's obtuse, then so be it.

Plus there's a good bit of fun to be had to join the banter against Joooooeeeeee Duuuffffffyyyyyyy.

God bless, God bless.

Jaysus, Dustin as host....now that would be a funny friday I'd listen to...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

dulpit wrote: »
    Plus there's a good bit of fun to be had to join the banter against Joooooeeeeee Duuuffffffyyyyyyy.

God bless, God bless.

Actually yeah, I think this thread is the reason I keep listening to Joe Duffy!

(Damn you, thread!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Liveline Researchers are currently trying to find an angle on Gaddafi's capture

"I have Mary on the line, she is on holidays on Egypt, watching CNN in her Hotel Room"

"Ah, that's close enough - she can give us our 'Irish Perspective from the heart of the action'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

ah b*lls deleted my message instead of edit, yeah dustin would be good, might not do a bad job on the regular day liveline to :D

I get what you're saying somewhat...for instance, I can't understand the gaggle of people over in the late late show thread of a friday night who nearly all seem to dislike Tubridy and many of his guests, but yet keep watching... thing is they're watching the LLS, not Tubridy. They watch in spite of him.

Similar with this thread. Liveline is almost an institution at this stage. There are plenty of days when I've switched off/over because I didn't like the main topic or where the show was headed...however I might miss some good radio or an interesting topic or opinion by doing this.
    Lot of people in here too who are in work and listen/post along for the craic and the lack of much else on the radio in that slot...
    I don't like the idea of car crash radio/TV but the phenomenon exists...some people simply can't "look away"... that doesn't mean they can't have an opinion on the host or their pay (since it's a publically funded station)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

wont get to hear the show today, so happy listening folks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

From the Duffmeisters Twitter:
    Reaction to the killing of Gaddafi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭furiousox

How
    Are
    You?

CPL 593H

Subtitles?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Woah Woah Woah, slow down man!

Wonderful broadcasting already :rolleyes:

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

Terrible line terrible line

Can you tell them boys to keep the AK quiet in the background there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Good god.

Can anyone understand what that guy is saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭suzie987

Is this English?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

LOL!!

What a start Joe. Straight into total chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Libyan's celebrate by ringing Liveline...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Holy Jebus (or Allah) what the hell is that noise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Terrible line, terrible line.

This is migraine city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

That_Guy wrote: »
    Libyan's celebrate by ringing Liveline...

Sure what else would they be doing??

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

I guess Michael Healy Rae is still on speed dial...

• Advertisement

What a f'ing racket!!

Borat.jpg

CPL 593H

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement